ADVERTISEMENT

Chappy's 2020 NU Season Preview: Receivers

NU's WRs are the biggest question mark for the team next season, yet no comments so far. Go figure.

Last season's stats are ugly, but much blame goes to the outgoing OC. As with the RBs, it's hard to tell how good the WRs are because of predictable play-calling. Chappy chooses not to go there.

Lees is solid and should be a year better. McGowan looks very athletic, but does he have the hands to be a top WR? He might be a better RB.

After reading Chappy's review, we're all hoping some of these players will rise to the level of those NU plays against.

Whenever it happens, I can hardly wait to see what Coach Jake will do with NU's O.

NU's WRs are the biggest question mark for the team next season, yet no comments so far. Go figure.

Last season's stats are ugly, but much blame goes to the outgoing OC. As with the RBs, it's hard to tell how good the WRs are because of predictable play-calling. Chappy chooses not to go there.

Lees is solid and should be a year better. McGowan looks very athletic, but does he have the hands to be a top WR? He might be a better RB.

After reading Chappy's review, we're all hoping some of these players will rise to the level of those NU plays against.

Whenever it happens, I can hardly wait to see what Coach Jake will do with NU's O.

What are you using as the basis to question McGowan’s hands? I’ve seen absolutely nothing in his career so far that would make me call his hands into question.

While I agree that WR is one of the biggest question mark positions, I think one can make the argument for QB being potentially a bigger question mark.

As the article states, it's sort of the chicken-or-the-egg question for me: was our WR production poor because of poor QB play, or was the poor QB production due to WR inability to get separation + drops?

I will answer my own question: Neither was the primary source of our offensive woes. The real source was poor offensive scheme and play-calling by McCall. Therefore, I have high hopes that both will improve under Coach Jake. Not really because I feel that he is a great offensive coordinator, but just because McCall was simply that bad. (Coach Jake may actually be a great OC, but all we really need is an average OC and we would see an improvement. I'm so relieved that McCall is gone...)

Reactions: drewjin
While I agree that WR is one of the biggest question mark positions, I think one can make the argument for QB being potentially a bigger question mark.

As the article states, it's sort of the chicken-or-the-egg question for me: was our WR production poor because of poor QB play, or was the poor QB production due to WR inability to get separation + drops?

I will answer my own question: Neither was the primary source of our offensive woes. The real source was poor offensive scheme and play-calling by McCall. Therefore, I have high hopes that both will improve under Coach Jake. Not really because I feel that he is a great offensive coordinator, but just because McCall was simply that bad. (Coach Jake may actually be a great OC, but all we really need is an average OC and we would see an improvement. I'm so relieved that McCall is gone...)

Both were very large question marks existing last season, but QB has a much better "solution" right now following the addition of Ramsey. He's a known quantity plug-and-play guy while WR is essentially counting on the same group of guys to get significantly better.

What are you using as the basis to question McGowan’s hands? I’ve seen absolutely nothing in his career so far that would make me call his hands into question.

No data, but was just recalling a dropped 3rd-down, short pass and wondered whether or not it was a problem. I know he's a strong athlete and wonder if he isn't a better RB than WR. He definitely looked strong at RB. You think he's strong at WR?

No data, but was just recalling a dropped 3rd-down, short pass and wondered whether or not it was a problem. I know he's a strong athlete and wonder if he isn't a better RB than WR. He definitely looked strong at RB. You think he's strong at WR?

Do you remember the overhead deep catch he made against Utah in the Bowl Game? From what I have seen his hands are just fine.

Do you remember the overhead deep catch he made against Utah in the Bowl Game? From what I have seen his hands are just fine.

Yes, and mentioned it in a recent previous post after rewatching that game. I believe it was called back because he "touched" the DB. But he might be a better RB than WR.

Yes, and mentioned it in a recent previous post after rewatching that game. I believe it was called back because he "touched" the DB. But he might be a better RB than WR.
I agree about he would be a better RB. McGowan hands are fine, I just think we haven’t use him to his full potential. I believe he could have been a Christian McCaffrey type player. Same size, good vision, explosive. The problem is we had JJTHBC and Lark it would have been hard for McGown to to beat those guys. But hopefully we can see him in the backfield this year. He would be a matchup nightmare for LB’s in the passing game.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT