ADVERTISEMENT

Chargers take a running back from UCLA

The Chargers really like JJTBC from what I know, I wouldn't be too worried about his playing time because they took another RB

Yeah...and Melvin Gordon and his heavy workload moved on, so JJTBC looks to be the primary backup to Ekeler unless Kelley does more as a Charger than he did as a Bruin.

Yeah...and Melvin Gordon and his heavy workload moved on, so JJTBC looks to be the primary backup to Ekeler unless Kelley does more as a Charger than he did as a Bruin.

I don't think JJ will ever be a feature back, but will have a long career as a VERY good backup.

That said, I didn't think he'd ever play a snap in the NFL because of his size/speed combo, so I hope I'm proven wrong again and he goes off for 1000+ next year

Reactions: hoosboot
This is probably a depth pick. They need people in that RB room. Doesn't mean JJTBC has lost his spot. Though he is an injury concern now, so depth is important.

Per Chargers coverage they really like Kelley.

of course they do. what are they going to say otherwise?

jj was the 3rd or 4th string back last two years and still had around 100 touches. Couple that with eckler being small and never having the 1st string workload, makes a ton of sense to draft someone else.

I don't know what more JJTBC can do to show he's ready. He plays well every chance he gets.
The Chargers seem to like him, but not enough. Ekeler might be slightly better - maybe faster - but he fumbles once in a while.

I don't know what more JJTBC can do to show he's ready. He plays well every chance he gets.
We don't see practice, so who knows how consistent his performance is. But it sure does seems like he shows up for game time regardless.

This is probably a depth pick. They need people in that RB room. Doesn't mean JJTBC has lost his spot. Though he is an injury concern now, so depth is important.

Yeah, before last night, the Chargers had 2 running backs on their roster (Ekeler and JJTBC). That's a position where you need A LOT of depth. They typically would have five or more on the roster/practice squad and lo and behold they go out and sign three additional backs in their free agent signings. It's really about having a role and JJTBC seems to have a solid one for the Chargers going forward. Jackson's worry is being healthy as I'm sure that last season was a major frustration for him. I'm sure the Chargers like Kelley since they drafted him fairly high, but I'm not sure what the excitement is about. His performance at UCLA was solid, but nothing exceptional for a Chip Kelley system.

Yeah, before last night, the Chargers had 2 running backs on their roster (Ekeler and JJTBC). That's a position where you need A LOT of depth. They typically would have five or more on the roster/practice squad and lo and behold they go out and sign three additional backs in their free agent signings. It's really about having a role and JJTBC seems to have a solid one for the Chargers going forward. Jackson's worry is being healthy as I'm sure that last season was a major frustration for him. I'm sure the Chargers like Kelley since they drafted him fairly high, but I'm not sure what the excitement is about. His performance at UCLA was solid, but nothing exceptional for a Chip Kelley system.
They could have 10, like the Bears have in the TE room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT