ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Collins is not coaching this team well at all.

FOR 3 Million dollars a year.

A top 5 or top 10 compensated coach for this kind of performance.

REALLY?

REALLY?????

FOR 3 Million dollars a year.

A top 5 or top 10 compensated coach for this kind of performance.

REALLY?

REALLY?????
Of course not, he’s being compensated for PAST performance, not this mess. Unfortunately that’s the way the game is played.

Just lol at this thread. CC is responsible for us shooting in the 20s with all the open looks that we had? Teams not making shots that they should has zero to do with coaching, none,

Of course CC isn’t responsible for us shooting 21%. The head coach has no impact on how his team plays.... year after year after year.

Of course CC isn’t responsible for us shooting 21%. The head coach has no impact on how his team plays.... year after year after year.

Last year we made the Dance. THE DANCE. Year after year after year, Carmody didn't take us there.....

Just lol at this thread. CC is responsible for us shooting in the 20s with all the open looks that we had? Teams not making shots that they should has zero to do with coaching, none,

Don't come on here with absurd, gushing preseason praise for a single-season coaching performance (with all that good shooting) and make all sorts of outlandish predictions, wallpapered with hyperbolic recruiting effusiveness and then refuse to assign any blame to the coaches for dreadful performances like that. This may be beyond you, but shooting performances are partially attributable to things like spacing and movement, which is directly related to coaching.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Don't come on here with absurd, gushing preseason praise for a single-season coaching performance (with all that good shooting) and make all sorts of outlandish predictions, wallpapered with hyperbolic recruiting effusiveness and then refuse to assign any blame to the coaches for dreadful performances like that. This may be beyond you, but shooting performances are partially attributable to things like spacing and movement, which is directly related to coaching.

Nice rant, but link to a post where I said any of these things? And do you deny that we missed a bunch of uncontested shots today?

We didn’t have many easy shots in the lane. Part of that is coaching. We can’t win games relying on making 3 pointers, open or not.

Reactions: nickcat4
Didn't we play well enough last year to get to the dance and even win a game? Short memory

Reactions: nickcat4
We didn’t make it the year before, not going anywhere this year, so how is that year AFTER year?

It ain’t.

See hdhntrs post. I am not the only one who can't understand your nonsense... Pro tip; if you are going to troll, make your posts halfway coherent...

Didn't we play well enough last year to get to the dance and even win a game? Short memory
Yes.

But to have gone “year after year” you would need to either have gone the previous year, or the subsequent year.

This basketball season reminds me too much of our 2013 football season.

After the 2012 season with the 10 win season, our first bowl win in a half-century, and all that hype and a pre-season ranking for the 2013 campaign... we ended up with a pair of 5 win seasons and no bowls for two years.

CC is still learning as a coach, but I'm willing to flush a season or two as long as there's improvement over time.

After the 2012 season with the 10 win season, our first bowl win in a half-century, and all that hype and a pre-season ranking for the 2013 campaign... we ended up with a pair of 5 win seasons and no bowls for two years.

CC is still learning as a coach, but I'm willing to flush a season or two as long as there's improvement over time.

Good post-- an excellent analogy that did not occur to me, but is spot on.

Reactions: LansingCat
I also saw a comparison to Nebraska's tournament season a few years ago, which seems fair, as they had most of their guys back the following year.

The thing that disappoints me most about this team is how quickly it falls apart. They have responded to a few crises like a freshman-dominated team, which they are not.

Yes, this is reasonable. There is a lot of blame to go around. CCC showed progress within each year until now. He deserves some of the blame. So do the players imo. This whole season defies logic. CCC didn’t suddenly go from a very good coach to a bad coach. The players didn’t go from being the first group to get us to the dance to being a group that doesn’t care. I have no explanation at all and haven’t heard one that made any sense to me from anyone on this board.

Yes, this is reasonable. There is a lot of blame to go around. CCC showed progress within each year until now. He deserves some of the blame. So do the players imo. This whole season defies logic. CCC didn’t suddenly go from a very good coach to a bad coach. The players didn’t go from being the first group to get us to the dance to being a group that doesn’t care. I have no explanation at all and haven’t heard one that made any sense to me from anyone on this board.
Yeah, I do think CC took a step back this year, but it's reasonable to expect that there'll be periods like this given that this is his first time as a headliner. I'd much rather this happen in a transition year like this than later on in his career if there's to be a learning curve.

Reactions: hdhntr1
His program is being embarrassed by a mediocre team on national TV. And we've seen this before.
Absolutely embarrassing. he can’t even get us to the NIT with all his recruits in place. No wonder Baldwin decided to split. I think behind the scenes there is more going on than we will ever know. Collins is not coach K and never will be. He will not take us to the tournament with his current offensive and defensives strategies. The talent level he puts on the court reminds me of Penn St talent over the the last 10 years. What have they done? NOTHING

Reactions: hdhntr1
Absolutely embarrassing. he can’t even get us to the NIT with all his recruits in place. No wonder Baldwin decided to split. I think behind the scenes there is more going on than we will ever know. Collins is not coach K and never will be. He will not take us to the tournament with his current offensive and defensives strategies. The talent level he puts on the court reminds me of Penn St talent over the the last 10 years. What have they done? NOTHING

Last year was a smoke and mirrors outlier: they couldn’t leave us out even though they knew the BIG sucked, because of the history of the BIG (and the Duke/ never made it feel good story.). 5 BC teams would have thrashed last years team.

Now the big just flat out sucks with no disguise.

I have no idea how good our incoming class next year is, but if it’s not really, really good, we have a long 4 years ahead.

We might want to go the football route: water down the schedule to nothing (like how we know fb could go undefeated any year and not make the playoff because of sos), and just try to act like we’re trying.

Last year was a smoke and mirrors outlier: they couldn’t leave us out even though they knew the BIG sucked, because of the history of the BIG (and the Duke/ never made it feel good story.). 5 BC teams would have thrashed last years team.

Now the big just flat out sucks with no disguise.

I have no idea how good our incoming class next year is, but if it’s not really, really good, we have a long 4 years ahead.

We might want to go the football route: water down the schedule to nothing (like how we know fb could go undefeated any year and not make the playoff because of sos), and just try to act like we’re trying.
Amen. We caught all the breaks last year that BC never got when he was at rhe helm. Collins has 1 postseason in 5 years. We signed him for 10 years after one lightening in a bottle season. What a joke. His offense makes me sick. We dont have the athletes to play the style he wants to play or is used to playing.

Baldwin left for a head coaching job, genius.

Oh the BC lovers stoke again. No, NU never won 20 games in the regular season under the failure otherwise known as BC. Too funny. It is now much harder to make the NiT when all conference regular season champs make the tourney. NU would not have made it to the NiT with the current rules in play. One player made NU’s NIT run and his name was Jon Shurna who made himself a player who became NU’s leading scorer. Not BC who ran an antiquated system stuck in the 1950s. The WSJ aptly describes it as anachronistic. Look it up.

BC stole his whole system from Pete Carill, a great Ivy League coach and not a major conference coachZ. Now he is failing at HC. He will be fired soon. He was not a power conference coach period. He never recruited.

Collins needs his top players - McIntosh, Lindsey and Law to play at a high level to win. IU still has 4 star players in Juwan Morgan, Robert Johnson and Justin Smith. It did not happen today as IU played better defense and made more shots.

Jump on CC and we will remember it in year’s to come with its most talented class ever coming in.

It is now much harder to make the NiT when all conference regular season champs make the tourney. NU would not have made it to the NiT with the current rules in play.

Those rules were put in play in 2006. All four of NU's recent NIT appearances occurred under the current rules.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Oh the BC lovers stoke again. No, NU never won 20 games in the regular season under the failure otherwise known as BC. Too funny. It is now much harder to make the NiT when all conference regular season champs make the tourney. NU would not have made it to the NiT with the current rules in play. One player made NU’s NIT run and his name was Jon Shurna who made himself a player who became NU’s leading scorer. Not BC who ran an antiquated system stuck in the 1950s. The WSJ aptly describes it as anachronistic. Look it up.

BC stole his whole system from Pete Carill, a great Ivy League coach and not a major conference coachZ. Now he is failing at HC. He will be fired soon. He was not a power conference coach period. He never recruited.

Collins needs his top players - McIntosh, Lindsey and Law to play at a high level to win. IU still has 4 star players in Juwan Morgan, Robert Johnson and Justin Smith. It did not happen today as IU played better defense and made more shots.

Jump on CC and we will remember it in year’s to come with its most talented class ever coming in.

Ca
Those rules were put in play in 2006. All four of NU's recent NIT appearances occurred under the current rules.

Woopsy. Walker fan not knowing basic facts? Who would have guesed (after the first 100 times)?

Carrill turned down multiple nba jobs at Princeton.

And then he literally explained when he went to the Sacramento Kings that he was doing so because BC had been the mastermind behind Princeton’s success, and that he was sick of taking the credit.

Got google?

I think Backdoorpass should weigh in. He’s always been the best poster on this board.

Reactions: IGNORE2
It’s bad enough to get killed on CBS, but then you can’t even commiserate afterward without the Carmody truthers coming out of the dark ...

It’s bad enough to get killed on CBS, but then you can’t even commiserate afterward without the Carmody truthers coming out of the dark ...

It's only 2: MysticCat and what I guess might be the old Purplicious account (sprang up out of nowhere and started calling CC a "bum" and other niceties).

They're just hyperposting after losses, so it seems like more truthers than actually exist. Think everyone else gave up the Carmody love when we reached the Dance.

Its clear that CCC doesnt know how to get this years team motivated. And he's being stubborn at times sticking with the man to man defense when its not working. But aside from that he's the best thing to ever happen to NU basketball so people need to relax. If next year is more of the same from an effort stand point then its time to voice concern.
But imo this senior class is going through something that we're probably never gonna find out. Likely between Lindsey and McIntosh. Naming 4 captains probably has something to do with it. But when your first recruiting class that has already proven so much is showing up to their senior seasons with this effort, its clear something behind the scenes is going on. And I think CCC is already waiting for this season to be over. Not giving up but understanding this is just a spoiled bunch. And trying his best to make sure it wont transfer to next year.
And I think Law and Pardon taking over leadership next year along with hard working Ash, will make for a more consistent team, and hopefully one that can compete for a tourney spot.

U r right! Both psu and Indiana got some dam good athletes.

Yes.

But to have gone “year after year” you would need to either have gone the previous year, or the subsequent year.
Good God, man - read Mike's post! There's a period after the word DANCE. The "year after year" refers to Carmody never getting us there, not Collins. Sheesh . . .

Reactions: mikewebb68
Its clear that CCC doesnt know how to get this years team motivated. And he's being stubborn at times sticking with the man to man defense when its not working. But aside from that he's the best thing to ever happen to NU basketball so people need to relax. If next year is more of the same from an effort stand point then its time to voice concern.
But imo this senior class is going through something that we're probably never gonna find out. Likely between Lindsey and McIntosh. Naming 4 captains probably has something to do with it. But when your first recruiting class that has already proven so much is showing up to their senior seasons with this effort, its clear something behind the scenes is going on. And I think CCC is already waiting for this season to be over. Not giving up but understanding this is just a spoiled bunch. And trying his best to make sure it wont transfer to next year.
And I think Law and Pardon taking over leadership next year along with hard working Ash, will make for a more consistent team, and hopefully one that can compete for a tourney spot.

This is the long version of what I meant. I’m frustrated by this years team and Lindsey and bmac in particular. I was particularly frustrated coming out of the timeout down 13 and the possession ended with as Skelly three while Law and Lindsey were just standing on the other side of the floor. This game was especially frustrating coming off of the Minnesota game where they shot the ball well and I was hoping the frustration was over.

My other theory on the team is that this is the law of averages and the players are overall playing to their recruit rankings versus the likes of higher recruits at other schools.

This has got to be so frustrating for the coaches bc it makes do little sense. As someone mentioned it’s not the losing but how they are losing,

NU would have been in the NiT two years ago at 20-12 with a 8-10 conference record but for a ton of losses by conference regular season champions of mid-major conferences in their conference tournaments. Carill got the assistant coaching position in Sacramento because one of Carill’s former players Geoff Petrie was the GM in Sacramento. My point is you need to be able to recruit if you want to win in a power conference. Carmody has no business in the Big 10. And soon he will be fired from the Patriot League, so he must be a great coach, huh?

This might be the stupidest post I've ever read. I've never really paid close attention to this poster, but now I see why everyone is mad at him all the time. Good bye.

This might be the stupidest post I've ever read. I've never really paid close attention to this poster, but now I see why everyone is mad at him all the time. Good bye.
It’s normal to be disappointed and upset, but this dude losses all credibility with this statement. I think the AAU coach (wild purple) that just popped up on this board must be Mac Irvin. BC better coach? Please.

The title of this thread is just stupid. Chris Collins just last year took this team to a level no coach at NU has ever been able to do. This year he magically forgets how to coach? You don't make the tournament on luck alone or it would have happened before. Any trained basketball eye would have been able to see the improvement of the program year over year since Collins has been here peaking last year. I agree this year has been a disappointment and I believe a lot of reasons are factors but I also know that Collins has raised the bar far higher than anyone else has been able. He also has not forgotten how to coach.

The title of this thread is just stupid. Chris Collins just last year took this team to a level no coach at NU has ever been able to do. This year he magically forgets how to coach? You don't make the tournament on luck alone or it would have happened before. Any trained basketball eye would have been able to see the improvement of the program year over year since Collins has been here peaking last year. I agree this year has been a disappointment and I believe a lot of reasons are factors but I also know that Collins has raised the bar far higher than anyone else has been able. He also has not forgotten how to coach.

Chris Collins did a great job last year but he is not coaching "this team" well. How is that a stupid thread title? Something is wrong. Look, I've seen way too much of this team and its a baffling bunch but the guy is getting paid to make this work and its not working. Hence, Chris Collins is not doing a good job coaching this team. He may do an awesome job next year but right now, I'd give his coaching a D or F. I'd give many players similar grades.

I'm a CCC fan, but this is ridiculous.

We are a dumpster fire. WTF happened?

And just play effing Brown. Nobody else is getting it done. Brown better get a ton of minutes next game, because he is the only on who showed up in his 4 minutes of play and earned it. The rest of the team should sit.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT