ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Collins on Isiah Brown's playing time

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Isiah Brown didn't play against Minnesota on Wednesday and played only four minutes in garbage time against Indiana. So I asked Chris Collins about him in the post-game press conference, as Brown has been the subject of a lot of questions here and on Twitter. Here's what he had to say, in entirety:

"He had been struggling. I’ve been happy with what Jordan Ash has been doing. I gave Isiah a chance to play and he came in and scored nine points. He’s just got to be ready. When you’re trying to find things, you’re mixing and matching lineups and trying to find a spark. Jordan had given us a little bit of a spark the last couple games, so I’ve gone with him with those minutes. I gave Isiah a chance today and he did well, and hopefully he’ll be ready to go in our next one."

My read: While NU could have used his scoring last night -- he hit three 3s in four minutes, albeit when the game was decided -- Collins doesn't seem to trust him yet. That probably has to do with shot selection and decision making.

My read: While NU could have used his scoring last night -- he hit three 3s in four minutes, albeit when the game was decided -- Collins doesn't seem to trust him yet. That probably has to do with shot selection and decision making.
Last player off the bench on a team that shoots 23% not counting IB's 3-3 shooting? The Collins dog house must be pretty hard to escape.....all players not named Isiah combined to shoot 12-53. Yes, he had 20% of the NU FG's in his 4 minutes.

Thanks for asking Lou. That's crazy to me that when we're playing that terrible on offense the one guy who has proven time and time again he can create gets stapled on the bench. Makes me question his judgement a bit.

Reactions: StratCat84
Isiah Brown didn't play against Minnesota on Wednesday and played only four minutes in garbage time against Indiana. So I asked Chris Collins about him in the post-game press conference, as Brown has been the subject of a lot of questions here and on Twitter. Here's what he had to say, in entirety:

"He had been struggling. I’ve been happy with what Jordan Ash has been doing. I gave Isiah a chance to play and he came in and scored nine points. He’s just got to be ready. When you’re trying to find things, you’re mixing and matching lineups and trying to find a spark. Jordan had given us a little bit of a spark the last couple games, so I’ve gone with him with those minutes. I gave Isiah a chance today and he did well, and hopefully he’ll be ready to go in our next one."

Lou, Indiana had second stringers in there at the end of the game. Also, they stopped playing tight coverage. Sort of like saying that Tyler Lancaster ran well in our last series at Illinois. Game was over and second stringers were in place. Still,anything is bettter than Scotty Lindsey. 8-45 with 11 turnovers. For health reasons, I wasn’t able to watch the replay of the game. Too emotionally painful

Last player off the bench on a team that shoots 23% not counting IB's 3-3 shooting? The Collins dog house must be pretty hard to escape.....all players not named Isiah combined to shoot 12-53. Yes, he had 20% of the NU FG's in his 4 minutes.

I love Collins, but he's got a little of the Tom Thibodeau in him when it comes to overplaying his top talent and not getting the bench enough playing time.

What I saw Sunday was an NU team where, other than open looks, no one on the floor but B Mac could create their own shot. On the bench is a guy who can create his own shot. Collins might think about giving Brown that same latitude he's giving a couple other guys.

Ash and Gaines give you defense, but they are not good with the ball against a stout defense. The turnovers were ill timed.

With all that said, the big three missed way, way too many shots. Wide open looks, clean looks. Typically, you go through a poor shooting spell one part of the game and then dial in another part of the game and hit some shots. We've got players who this year can't drop it in the ocean for an entire game....and this seems to be happening multiple games.

I love Collins, but he's got a little of the Tom Thibodeau in him when it comes to overplaying his top talent and not getting the bench enough playing time.

What I saw Sunday was an NU team where, other than open looks, no one on the floor but B Mac could create their own shot. On the bench is a guy who can create his own shot. Collins might think about giving Brown that same latitude he's giving a couple other guys.

Ash and Gaines give you defense, but they are not good with the ball against a stout defense. The turnovers were ill timed.

With all that said, the big three missed way, way too many shots. Wide open looks, clean looks. Typically, you go through a poor shooting spell one part of the game and then dial in another part of the game and hit some shots. We've got players who this year can't drop it in the ocean for an entire game....and this seems to be happening multiple games.
The starters killed us! Especially in the beginning of the second half. Mac needed more support. Maybe a two guard lineup would help.

I am going to guess that this is just cover for something that happened in practice that was the reason Btown was wearing compression pants at Minny, according to posts here, which he never wears. The notion that Ash has been outplaying Brown makes zero sense both on the stat sheet or by simply watching the two play.

I am going to guess that this is just cover for something that happened in practice that was the reason Btown was wearing compression pants at Minny, according to posts here, which he never wears. The notion that Ash has been outplaying Brown makes zero sense both on the stat sheet or by simply watching the two play.

I agree. Brown has got game.

I am happy for Ash! He has improved more than anyone on the team. That is a measure of growth. Still, I think Brown has potential and needs more playing time. The problem is Mac is a great player. He will have to wait till next year to see starters minutes as Ash is our best defensive player, without a doubt. Law is a close second. The season is lost so play everyone! I’d like to see Brown get 15 plus minutes a game.

I am happy for Ash! He has improved more than anyone on the team. That is a measure of growth. Still, I think Brown has potential and needs more playing time. The problem is Mac is a great player. He will have to wait till next year to see starters minutes as Ash is our best defensive player, without a doubt. Law is a close second. The season is lost so play everyone! I’d like to see Brown get 15 plus minutes a game.
Sorry but Law is the best defensively followed by Pardon. Ash can be good but he is letting too much get by him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT