ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Spielman Files Class-Action Lawsuit Against OSU

Actually the problem wasn't that OSU was using Spielman's likeness and name on the banners and such without compensation from the University. The problem mentioned in the lawsuit is that the University is making money off of those banners by selling sponorship to other companies.

To quote Spielman, "Ohio State is welcome to use my name and image in any way they choose. It's when they slap a corporate sponsor on it."

Spielman said the reason he is doing this is to protect the rights of players who don't have the platform that he does. Any money he recovers from the lawsuit he actually plans to donate back to the University.

Reactions: WhiskersMagee
Actually the problem wasn't that OSU was using Spielman's likeness and name on the banners and such without compensation from the University. The problem mentioned in the lawsuit is that the University is making money off of those banners by selling sponorship to other companies.

To quote Spielman, "Ohio State is welcome to use my name and image in any way they choose. It's when they slap a corporate sponsor on it."

Spielman said the reason he is doing this is to protect the rights of players who don't have the platform that he does. Any money he recovers from the lawsuit he actually plans to donate back to the University.

I respect him for his motivation and his action.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I agree with Speilman. As he said it's one thing for the Unoversity to use your likeness to promote the University, it's another thing to make money off of Honda using your likeness and providing no compensation.

I agree with Speilman. As he said it's one thing for the Unoversity to use your likeness to promote the University, it's another thing to make money off of Honda using your likeness and providing no compensation.
So, why does OSU continue to do this and why hasn't the NCAA taken action?

So, why does OSU continue to do this and why hasn't the NCAA taken action?

OSU does it because it's easy money. The NCAA won't get involved because the option is to give the players a part of the money, which their against, or to find a way to get money for themselves, which won't wor.k. Even if they did, the NCAA wouldn't share it with the players.

OSU does it because it's easy money. The NCAA won't get involved because the option is to give the players a part of the money, which their against, or to find a way to get money for themselves, which won't wor.k. Even if they did, the NCAA wouldn't share it with the players.
Maybe OSU should just stop this shady practice or at least give the profits to families and children in need in Ohio.

Oh the Sanctimony. He has done more public good, particularly Breast Cancer support, than most people will ever do anywhere.
Correct - and he was able to do that good because he was a famous and wealthy NFL football player, not because of his free education, whatever major he decided to obtain.

Correct - and he was able to do that good because he was a famous and wealthy NFL football player, not because of his free education, whatever major he decided to obtain.
Typical of someone who claims to value education but really doesn't. Education has intrinsic value as well as extrinsic value. It is not just about what it will get me. In my retirement, my education still has value. It is part of who I am.

Reactions: Fitz51
Typical of someone who claims to value education but really doesn't. Education has intrinsic value as well as extrinsic value. It is not just about what it will get me. In my retirement, my education still has value. It is part of who I am.
whats your definition of education? Going through the motions pursuing a flimsy degree or preparing for a career as a pro athlete and announcer? Who are you or the NCAA or NBA or NFL to tell kids which form of education they need to take advantage of in order to pursue the career they want to, to get the most out of their gifts, talents and interests? Great to the kids who do both, I'm all for that. I'm just against the billion dollar enterprises of the NCAA NBA and NFL forcing kids to mix two things (higher education and upper tier athletics) that have absolutely nothing to do with one another other than kids 18-22 are involved.

This is an outage! He got a free education!!

/S
But since he is no longer attending OSU, I would guess there are no NCAA rules preventing him from being paid so the OSU can;t claim that they cannot pay him. Might be different for guys still enrolled but for those that have graduated.....Would seem they owe him regardless. Great that he would donate it back.

To quote Spielman, "Ohio State is welcome to use my name and image in any way they choose. It's when they slap a corporate sponsor on it."ass

And if his attorneys do the same then II will be impressed. Class action lawsuits hardly ever win the members of the class significant recovery.

Maybe OSU should just stop this shady practice or at least give the profits to families and children in need in Ohio.

For argument's sake, if it's a shady practice then giving the profits to those in need doesn't make it any better. I think however, "shady" gives the wrong connotation. It's not a fair practice but it's hardly done in deceit. It's one of those practices that is taken for granted until someone takes action against it. I don't think it's an issue for a University to use a player's image to promote itself. Once you use the name that changes things. If you're going to market that name, or specifically market that individual's image to sponsors, that again needs to be changed.

For argument's sake, if it's a shady practice then giving the profits to those in need doesn't make it any better. I think however, "shady" gives the wrong connotation. It's not a fair practice but it's hardly done in deceit. It's one of those practices that is taken for granted until someone takes action against it. I don't think it's an issue for a University to use a player's image to promote itself. Once you use the name that changes things. If you're going to market that name, or specifically market that individual's image to sponsors, that again needs to be changed.
I agree with this, but don't you think before it got to the point of a lawsuit speilman went to OSU and asked them to knock it off and to compensate the players whose images they have been using?

I agree with this, but don't you think before it got to the point of a lawsuit speilman went to OSU and asked them to knock it off and to compensate the players whose images they have been using?

Absolutely. The discussion has been reportedly going on for 8 months before Speilman filed suit. Archie Griffin, longtime employee of the University as Assistant Athletic Director and President of the Alumni Association (and former player), supports Speilman.

Again, I think Speilman is right.i think the University took their stand because it makes them a lot of money and starts a precedence for plates and former players asking for a bigger piece of the lucrative pie. From that standpoint I can understand the University's attempt to slow down or stop the process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT