ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2021 Comparisons

7th Cir. Cat

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
Almost everything I've read says that this latest recruiting class is unlike anything we've ever had at NU. So who do we think are some comps for Roper; Barnhizer; Simmons? Doesn't only have to be past NU players given that almost universally people have said their athleticism is pretty different from our prior recruits.

For Simmons the first one that comes to mind is Vic Law. Not sure on the other two. What your thoughts?

Almost everything I've read says that this latest recruiting class is unlike anything we've ever had at NU. So who do we think are some comps for Roper; Barnhizer; Simmons? Doesn't only have to be past NU players given that almost universally people have said their athleticism is pretty different from our prior recruits.

For Simmons the first one that comes to mind is Vic Law. Not sure on the other two. What your thoughts?

1. Simmons reminds me as much of Nance as he does Law. He's very young for his age like Nance, with his best hoops well down the road. And he's long and lean like Law. I would give Simmons the athletic edge over Law. Law wasn't great on contested shots off the dribble, but Simmons could be ... especially if he elevates his release point. I'm anxious to see Simmons play at 6-6+ and 190+ a couple of years from now. And I agree he would have blown up if this year's AAU season had been played.
2. Others have said Barnhizer reminds them of a bigger, taller and more athletic McIntosh. I agree to an extent. He's a classic Indiana HS breed gym rat. But so much of McIntosh's game was his confidence, toughness and savvy. That's hard to measure and compare until you see these kids in the arena. Barnhizer also has great versatility value. He was recruited to put the ball in his hands, but has the size and skills to play 3 positions. These 6-6 and 6-7ish positionless guards that can easily play above the rim are a new breed at NU. So I don't think we've seen great comparisons from the past. Another prime candidate to have blown up in an AAU season.
3. Roper is a guy I want on my team. He has Juice Thompson toughness, a Gaddis Rathel type physique and a game with some comparison to whoever you think of who did a little bit of everything well. Make him room with Simmons and tell him to teach the East Coast preppy the finer points of being a top Detroit area hoopster. Beginning in the weight room. And then on the floor.

If CCC and staff can recruit at this level for a couple more seasons we'll have a top 15 type roster without Christie or Baldwin.

GOUNUII

3. Roper is a guy I want on my team. He has Juice Thompson toughness, a Gaddis Rathel type physique and a game with some comparison to whoever you think of who did a little bit of everything well. Make him room with Simmons and tell him to teach the East Coast preppy the finer points of being a top Detroit area hoopster. Beginning in the weight room. And then on the floor.

GOUNUII

This sounds really promising. I'll take Juice Thompson toughness any day, but if you had said "Jitim Young toughness" then I would have been REALLY excited. Fantastic class.

Barnhizer — versatile Midwestern big guy who can handle the rock — Jeff Ryan

Simmons — muscular but athletic wing who can defend and make hay in the paint — Mike Capocci

Roper — limitless range and solid handle and the ability to immediately step in at both guard spots — Drew Long

The sky’s the limit for this class!

(20+ years of fandom does things to you.)

Last edited:

Simmons — muscular but athletic wing who can defend and make hay in the paint — Mike Capocci

Roper — limitless range and solid handle and the ability to immediately step in at both guard spots — Drew Long

To borrow from a famous philosopher - Recruiting is a like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you're going to get.

That hit too close to home.

Reactions: NUCat320

I think CC is bringing in solid big ten recruits across the board which is phenomenal. But fans always seem to overhyped their recruits. These guys are all in the same ballpark as we’ve been getting top 80-120 on the high end (Law, Nance, Beran, Kopp, Simmons) and top 200-ish for others with some diamonds in the rough—Buie, Young, Lindsay, Pardon. This class looks almost exactly in line with how CC has generally recruited since he arrived with some normal ups and downs. The good news is that he keeps bringing these caliber recruits despite a few tough seasons, which I think is his ability along with the new facilities. If we can get another tourney bid in the next 2 years we could see a real bump to next level of talent. But thrilled to have these 3 great kids on board.

Reactions: NUCat320
1. Simmons reminds me as much of Nance as he does Law. He's very young for his age like Nance, with his best hoops well down the road. And he's long and lean like Law. I would give Simmons the athletic edge over Law. Law wasn't great on contested shots off the dribble, but Simmons could be ... especially if he elevates his release point. I'm anxious to see Simmons play at 6-6+ and 190+ a couple of years from now. And I agree he would have blown up if this year's AAU season had been played.
2. Others have said Barnhizer reminds them of a bigger, taller and more athletic McIntosh. I agree to an extent. He's a classic Indiana HS breed gym rat. But so much of McIntosh's game was his confidence, toughness and savvy. That's hard to measure and compare until you see these kids in the arena. Barnhizer also has great versatility value. He was recruited to put the ball in his hands, but has the size and skills to play 3 positions. These 6-6 and 6-7ish positionless guards that can easily play above the rim are a new breed at NU. So I don't think we've seen great comparisons from the past. Another prime candidate to have blown up in an AAU season.

If CCC and staff can recruit at this level for a couple more seasons we'll have a top 15 type roster without Christie or Baldwin.

GOUNUII
That’s a helluva fun read

I think CC is bringing in solid big ten recruits across the board which is phenomenal. But fans always seem to overhyped their recruits. These guys are all in the same ballpark as we’ve been getting top 80-120 on the high end (Law, Nance, Beran, Kopp, Simmons) and top 200-ish for others with some diamonds in the rough—Buie, Young, Lindsay, Pardon. This class looks almost exactly in line with how CC has generally recruited since he arrived with some normal ups and downs. The good news is that he keeps bringing these caliber recruits despite a few tough seasons, which I think is his ability along with the new facilities. If we can get another tourney bid in the next 2 years we could see a real bump to next level of talent. But thrilled to have these 3 great kids on board.

I think that's right. Roper and Barnhizer are not categorically different recruits than Kopp and Nance (maybe they are even rated a little lower). But what gives me some degree of optimism is that the classes seems more balanced in terms of ball handlers and guards. We have plenty wings. But with Barnhizer, Buie Berry we know have multiple players who can run the offense and break the press. That's something we've never really had in the CC era (or the Carmody era).

Inside NU has a film analysis on BB, and from what the writer saw, seems like BB could work on his handle (Bmac also had trouble bringing the ball up when quick guards were pressing him).

Inside NU has a film analysis on BB, and from what the writer saw, seems like BB could work on his handle (Bmac also had trouble bringing the ball up when quick guards were pressing him).
I watched that and came away a little disappointed.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT