ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson transfer QB

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Duke's QB is Chase Brice, a Clemson transfer. He's playing well, keeping Duke close against ND. Don't see why our transfer Hunter Johnson can't play as well or better. Let's keep hoping.

Duke's QB is Chase Brice, a Clemson transfer. He's playing well, keeping Duke close against ND. Don't see why our transfer Hunter Johnson can't play as well or better. Let's keep hoping.
David Cutcliffe is a "Quarterback whisperer". Guy just knows how to develop a QB. Big difference from the former NU administration on offense.

David Cutcliffe is a "Quarterback whisperer". Guy just knows how to develop a QB. Big difference from the former NU administration on offense.
I'm not exactly a fan of the previous OC, but NU did have a very solid string of QBs under him.

We must be watching different games. He looks like garbage
Yeah must have. I saw only some stretches of the game but he played well, not garbage.

20-37 259 yds, 0 TD, 0 Int.

Not Heisman worthy but not garbage.

Reactions: NJCat
How much prep did players have for the 2020 opener against Notre Dame?

First start, since high school. Travels to South Bend. Nice rushing TD in his debut.

The object of the game is to win. But, ZERO interceptions is a positive. He scored a TD, another positive.

On the road, with limited prep. I wouldn't say anything other then a passing grade, though, the object the game is to win.

peace

Reactions: DaCat

First start, since high school. Travels to South Bend. Nice rushing TD in his debut.

The object of the game is to win. But, ZERO interceptions is a positive. He scored a TD, another positive.

On the road, with limited prep. I wouldn't say anything other then a passing grade, though, the object the game is to win.

peace
He fumbled on the last drive of the game but your point stands

peace
These are all good points.

If Hunter Johnson had a debut against Stanford last season like Brice did, we would've won that game easily.

These are all good points.

If Hunter Johnson had a debut against Stanford last season like Brice did, we would've won that game easily.
If we hadn’t grossly mishandled this pandemic, we’d be celebrating a win over Sparty by now.

If Persa hasn’t torn his Achilles, he’d have won the Heisman in 2011.

Oh and if my aunt had something she’d be my uncle... or something.

mental. kid needs serious work on his condidence. Until then, deer in headlights.

20-37 259 yds, 0 TD, 0 Int looks like one of Clayton Thorson's better games with us. And most posters on this board would be clamoring to lick his butthole over it.

Unfortunately for Hunter, McCall ruined him and his career.

How different would things have been if Fitz had declared HJ the starter following spring ball? Would Hunter have had more confidence and/or positive pressure to be ready?

peace
That’s 2 games in a row where this kid Brice looks bad. Wouldn’t be surprised if duke started someone else next week

That’s 2 games in a row where this kid Brice looks bad. Wouldn’t be surprised if duke started someone else next week
Second games, like sophomore years, can have ups and downs, as you likely well know!

I'm not exactly a fan of the previous OC, but NU did have a very solid string of QBs under him.

I'd say much of that was their own inherent talent and Baz (who had a hand in developing Kafka and Persa).

McC had a tendency to hold NU QBs from their full potential and couldn't seem to develop a capable (passing) QB behind the starter.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
I'd say much of that was their own inherent talent and Baz (who had a hand in developing Kafka and Persa).

McC had a tendency to hold NU QBs from their full potential and couldn't seem to develop a capable (passing) QB behind the starter.

You talk a good game, but you obviously have no clue what you’re talking about. If you think Baz had a greater role in developing Kafka and Persa you are sadly mistaken. And please don’t waste you’re time pulling out quotes from some articles you read on the Internet years ago...spare me.

^ Don't make me laugh...

Both Kafka and Persa were effusive in their praise of Baz, and it wasn't like they were prompted by their respective interviewer (to bring up Baz); pretty telling that neither mentioned McC when asked about what led to their dramatic improvement as a passer.

At least that's some tangible evidence of support, unlike for you who proffers NOTHING (so, the one who's full of nothing but talk is you).

And gee, isn't it "coincidental" that such QB development pretty much stopped when Baz was no longer around?

McC couldn't even develop an adequate passing QB to back-up Siemian and then, Thorson, for all those years.

Last edited:
^ Don't make me laugh...

Both Kafka and Persa were effusive in their praise of Baz, and it wasn't like they were prompted by their respective interviewer (to bring up Baz); pretty telling that neither mentioned McC when asked about what led to their dramatic improvement as a passer.

At least that's some tangible evidence of support, unlike for you who proffers NOTHING (so, the one who's full of nothing but talk is you).

And gee, isn't it "coincidental" that such QB development pretty much stopped when Baz was no longer around?

McC couldn't even develop an adequate passing QB to back-up Siemian and then, Thorson, for all those years.

You’re delusional. Baz should be coaching in the NFL by now. He’s a QB whisperer!

Reactions: ricko654321
Alabama's had at least a half-dozen QBs transfer under Saban. I don't think any of them had success at their new schools, except Jalen Hurts. And he was an unusual case. He also performed less effectively than the two previous QBs (Murray, Mayfield). Maybe we all should have been much more wary about a big-program transfer QB.

You’re delusional. Baz should be coaching in the NFL by now. He’s a QB whisperer!

A lot of times, it takes a break (finding a mentor) to get into the NFL coaching ranks.
(kinda like how it worked for Kafka; I'm sure Baz is thrilled for his former student).

If I'm "delusional" - then so is Kafka.

"I can't thank him (Baz) enough." - Kafka

Kafka didn't say that about McC, only Baz.

Furthermore, it was Kafka who texted Baz and asked him for help.

Why would he need to do so if McC had done a good job developing him (after all, McC had 4 years to develop Kafka)?

While Baz worked with Kafka (after Persa) on the mental aspects of playing the position, the 1st thing he had to do was correct Kafka's throwing motion (gee, why hadn't McC corrected it already? he had 4 years to do so).

Kafka (as well as Persa) not only looks like he's utilizing less effort when he throws, his spirals appear to have more velocity and they stay straight as a string.

"It takes the margin of error out of their throws," NU offensive coordinator Mick McCall said. "The other thing it does, it gets the ball out a lot quicker."

Funny how McC comments on the improvement for both QBs due to Baz's tutelage; isn't that something he should have done himself?

And Persa found Baz's coaching so helpful that he continued to meet with Baz the next year.

Find plenty of interviews where the Manning and Daniel Jones praise and credit Cutcliffe.

Can't seem to find any where Kafka or Persa do the same for McC, and yet in all the articles which cover how they took a big leap forward in their development, both QBs are effusive in their praise for Baz.

Kafka would also go on and work as an instructor for Baz's QB camp in Minnesota.

Once again, I've actually backed up my position, whereas you just lobbed insults and made silly statements (as if they actually substituted for substance).

Last edited:
A lot of times, it takes a break (finding a mentor) to get into the NFL coaching ranks.
(kinda like how it worked for Kafka; I'm sure Baz is thrilled for his former student).

If I'm "delusional" - then so is Kafka.

"I can't thank him (Baz) enough." - Kafka

Kafka didn't say that about McC, only Baz.

Furthermore, it was Kafka who texted Baz and asked him for help.

Why would he need to do so if McC had done a good job developing him (after all, McC had 4 years to develop Kafka)?

While Baz worked with Kafka (after Persa) on the mental aspects of playing the position, the 1st thing he had to do was correct Kafka's throwing motion (gee, why hadn't McC corrected it already? he had 4 years to do so).

Kafka (as well as Persa) not only looks like he's utilizing less effort when he throws, his spirals appear to have more velocity and they stay straight as a string.

"It takes the margin of error out of their throws," NU offensive coordinator Mick McCall said. "The other thing it does, it gets the ball out a lot quicker."

Funny how McC comments on the improvement for both QBs due to Baz's tutelage; isn't that something he should have done himself?

And Persa found Baz's coaching so helpful that he continued to meet with Baz the next year.

Find plenty of interviews where the Manning and Daniel Jones praise and credit Cutcliffe.

Can't seem to find any where Kafka or Persa do the same for McC, and yet in all the articles which cover how they took a big leap forward in their development, both QBs are effusive in their praise for Baz.

Kafka would also go on and work as an instructor for Baz's QB camp in Minnesota.

Once again, I've actually backed up my position, whereas you just lobbed insults and made silly statements (as if they actually substituted for substance).

Your entire premise is just dumb. Two guys spend 4+ years working under the tutelage of an incredibly experienced & well respected QB coach who has sent numerous guys to the NFL; and you're arguing that a few summer workout sessions with a former NU QB was more instrumental in their development? C'mon man, wake up from your catatonic state.

well respected QB coach

McCall sure wasn't respected by many former NU players who openly disparaged him and his coaching abilities and continuously called for his firing. In fact, I'm not sure I can find any former NU player offering McCall effusive praise. Easy to find such quotes for Hankwitz, Fitz, etc. Hmm, pretty strange, for such an incredibly experienced & well respected QB coach who has sent numerous guys to the NFL

McCall sure wasn't respected by many former NU players who openly disparaged him and his coaching abilities and continuously called for his firing. In fact, I'm not sure I can find any former NU player offering McCall effusive praise. Easy to find such quotes for Hankwitz, Fitz, etc. Hmm, pretty strange, for such an incredibly experienced & well respected QB coach who has sent numerous guys to the NFL

His track record for developing QBs throughout his career is just an unquestionable fact. Maybe some NU players didn’t like him personally and maybe they didn’t respect his abilities as an OC but it’s silly or ignorant to argue that he does not deserve credit for the QBs NU produced under his watch.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
If it was so unquestionable he wouldn't currently be relegated to coaching RBs at Iowa State.

He got scooped up right away by a very well regarded program run by a very good head coach. They thought highly enough of him to offer him a spot as a position coach at a position that is not his specialty rather than pass up the opportunity to add him to their staff. That is proof of how well regarded he is, not the opposite. I am sure he’ll soon be a QB coach, if not OC, at Iowa State or another well regarded program.

He got scooped up right away by a very well regarded program run by a very good head coach. They thought highly enough of him to offer him a spot as a position coach at a position that is not his specialty rather than pass up the opportunity to add him to their staff. That is proof of how well regarded he is, not the opposite. I am sure he’ll soon be a QB coach, if not OC, at Iowa State or another well regarded program.
QB coach somewhere maybe, OC no way at a P5.

Holy hell, do you work in PR or comms?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT