ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches with Options

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Although I disagree, CFN has my man Fitz at #3:

3. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

Fitz has spent nearly half his life in Evanston, four years as a linebacker and 16 as a Wildcat assistant and head coach. If he ever decides to leave his alma mater, he’ll have options. Good options.

Bronco Mendenhall left BYU. Chris Petersen eventually parted ways with Boise State. Maybe Fitzgerald decides someday that he wants to strive for more than just eight-win seasons and second-tier bowl games. He’s consistently won and overachieved at one of the most challenging Big Ten schools. And at just 42, Fitzgerald is firmly in his coaching prime. He’s an old school, fundamentally sound builder, with a proven track record. But will he ever scratch the itch and venture out to a new campus?

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/10-college-football-head-coaches-poised-for-big-promotions

Although I disagree, CFN has my man Fitz at #3:

3. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

Fitz has spent nearly half his life in Evanston, four years as a linebacker and 16 as a Wildcat assistant and head coach. If he ever decides to leave his alma mater, he’ll have options. Good options.

Bronco Mendenhall left BYU. Chris Petersen eventually parted ways with Boise State. Maybe Fitzgerald decides someday that he wants to strive for more than just eight-win seasons and second-tier bowl games. He’s consistently won and overachieved at one of the most challenging Big Ten schools. And at just 42, Fitzgerald is firmly in his coaching prime. He’s an old school, fundamentally sound builder, with a proven track record. But will he ever scratch the itch and venture out to a new campus?

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/10-college-football-head-coaches-poised-for-big-promotions

He has had options. Good options. And he's still at NU.

"Strive for eight-win seasons"?

He's already had two 10-win seasons, and come within sniffing distance of a trip to Indy. Maybe this will be the year he makes it.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
It is amazing to me how despite the reality of records, and actual facts, these talking heads recycle the same tired refrains with the same overall tone. There have been 22 years of success, and they act like it's a new thing NU not being 2-11. It's like you need three 10 win seasons for them to recognize one.

Also, why is the author citing Mendenhall and Petersen as examples parallel to Fitz? Petersen didn't play at Boise State, and Mendenhall didn't play at BYU. There was never anything more than an employee/employer relationship in both those cases.

Last edited:
It is amazing to me how despite the reality of records, and actual facts, these talking heads recycle the same tired refrains with the same overall tone. There have been 22 years of success, and they act like it's a new thing NU not being 2-11. It's like you need three 10 win seasons for them to recognize one.

Also, why is the author citing Mendenhall and Petersen as examples parallel to Fitz? Petersen didn't play at Boise State, and Mendenhall didn't play at BYU. There was never anything more than an employee/employer relationship in both those cases.

There's a parallel on longevity at BYU and BSU, but you're absolutely correct -- the long time he's spent at NU is more because of Fitz's connection to the school than it is the cause.

Maybe when our fan base stops acting like it they will. We have a kid transfer to IMG and automatically think he is shopping around for offers as if NU is not the next premier school with the best state of the art facilities and brightest future in college sports.

I agree with the peterson and mendenhall parallels but earlier in the article a lesser known coach was compared to Fitz accurately as home grown. It is kind of nice that Fitz is becoming the standard of loyalty and longevity that other coaches now have to live up to. His name will be mentioned in this mostly positive perspective more and more going forward.

This is a "filler" article. Repackaging old news in a shiny new article to get readers to comment. Apparently, it works.

Fitz, his staff, and players win the B1G within the next 4 years. We will consistently compete for the West. Northwestern will become a destinstion for the best high academic ranked recruits across the nation. Purple Pride is on the rise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT