ADVERTISEMENT

Cold weather bowls

Wisc nicked by announcer for not taking a knee, instead going the final TD with just a few seconds on the clock.

Fitz, OTOH, would take the knee...every time.

My personal preference: I don't mind so much seeing Miami suck it, but yeah, take the knee.

Meanwhile, our three regular season opponents have won by a combined score of like 120-40, all three of them thrashing the team in the second half.

Reactions: epicbret
Wisc nicked by announcer for not taking a knee, instead going the final TD with just a few seconds on the clock.

My personal preference: I don't mind so much seeing Miami suck it, but yeah, take the knee.
And I want to see that turnover chain buried.

Not me. I wish Fitz would push it in and get style points every time. Especially if we were playing and up on Ohio State. I would go for 2 on the extra point and only because we couldn't go for 3. I would on-side kick it up 3 scores.

Reactions: drewjin
In this case, the cultural difference you speak of must be between a preference for team success (my preference) and "pay attention to me" or "praise me" or "look how amazing I am and ignore the other 21 on the field" (which I can't stand but is, admittedly, what people seem to want)

In this case, the cultural difference you speak of must be between a preference for team success (my preference) and "pay attention to me" or "praise me" or "look how amazing I am and ignore the other 21 on the field" (which I can't stand but is, admittedly, what people seem to want)
It is not that different than putting stickers on helmets, or awarding someone the number one jersey except this award only lasts a few minutes where as the stickers and number one thing lasts all season long. It's a way to rev the team up. As long as it's the coaches idea it's not really showboating.

I didn't like the turnover chain thing either but then I wondered if that was me not identifying with a cultural difference.

There's nothing wrong with the turnover chain. It's a harmless way for the team to celebrate a good play. It goes to one player temporarily until the next guy can grab it. And the players do it together. And, in UM's case, it ties into the history of the program and the attitude of the city that is their home. As has been pointed out above, it's far more ephemeral and less singularized than the stupid helmet stickers. Talk about an individual status symbol.

That said, there's a lot wrong with all of the derivative turnover baubles all these other schools started doing. Come up with your own celebration.

Reactions: NUCat320

So “cultural difference.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT