ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Should Be Canceled This Year

Based on the trends - and, yes, who knows if they will hold - morbidity for '20 somethings may be a relative non-issue. Now the potential that players and students will likely contribute to a massive infection rate that overwhelms healthcare and affects those with higher morbidity rates - that is a problem.

I can guarantee you the players want to play. Anyone under 30 is not taking this as seriously as they should be. Did you see Wrigley this weekend? You think a 20 year old wants to miss out on one of his 4-5 years of football?
My guess is that eligibility would be extended a year if there is no season.

Think about the players and not the money.
Wickerdude, you are 'spot on'. I just got done watching CNN claim that Florida had to close the beaches to protect the younger generation who doesn't know any better and doesn't social distance. Dr Faucci claims that young people can and have died while others who caught the virus had scarred lungs for life. Never mind the older people.

While many of the NU grads missed your point and claimed that "The players want to play", the reality is that there is no social distancing or face cloths for the players. I'm wondering if the players have to consent in order to play? Not sure of the legal ramifications if the team plays then one of our players has 'serious' health issues.

There is alot of money in football so the $$$ people will most likely sacrifice the health of the players, but what about the other programs? Breaking all of the social distancing rules and face cloth is a recipe for disaster. We need to follow the science and the medical guidance instead of harming the kids.

One thing is for sure, someone in the NCAA will die from this and one life lost is one life too many. Playing with a wicked disease.

Reactions: Eurocat
Based on the trends - and, yes, who knows if they will hold - morbidity for '20 somethings may be a relative non-issue. Now the potential that players and students will likely contribute to a massive infection rate that overwhelms healthcare and affects those with higher morbidity rates - that is a problem.
or, just the fact that we are knowingly putting a segment of the population at risk of a serious, disgusting illness - to me that smacks of how we treat livestock. "ah well a few kids died and a few dozen were bedridden for a while."

Not cool. what if it were your kid that got sick?

Wickerdude, you are 'spot on'. I just got done watching CNN claim that Florida had to close the beaches to protect the younger generation who doesn't know any better and doesn't social distance. Dr Faucci claims that young people can and have died while others who caught the virus had scarred lungs for life. Never mind the older people.

While many of the NU grads missed your point and claimed that "The players want to play", the reality is that there is no social distancing or face cloths for the players. I'm wondering if the players have to consent in order to play? Not sure of the legal ramifications if the team plays then one of our players has 'serious' health issues.

There is alot of money in football so the $$$ people will most likely sacrifice the health of the players, but what about the other programs? Breaking all of the social distancing rules and face cloth is a recipe for disaster. We need to follow the science and the medical guidance instead of harming the kids.

One thing is for sure, someone in the NCAA will die from this and one life lost is one life too many. Playing with a wicked disease.
I just got whiplash from the way you change your position back and forth on this one.

I remember when Wheeler died. When will Phillips pull the plug?
Only after a death? Of maybe ventilation? Or lung scarring for life?

The reality of what Dr Faucci said yesterday is that the hospital patients with covid are now young kids.
Look, i can understand a player getting IVs at halftime due to dehydration, but for fans and programs to have kids hospitalized due to $$$ is outright backstabbing our players.

I remember when Wheeler died. When will Phillips pull the plug?
Only after a death? Of maybe ventilation? Or lung scarring for life?

The reality of what Dr Faucci said yesterday is that the hospital patients with covid are now young kids.
Look, i can understand a player getting IVs at halftime due to dehydration, but for fans and programs to have kids hospitalized due to $$$ is outright backstabbing our players.
I don't think there will be a season. Cases are up and it is a double standard when you keep a kid hostage by forcing him to play (even though he will want to as any young naive kid) but no fans in the seats or very little fans. Social distancing fans or having no fans, but never mind the players. Something gotta give and it isn't going to be pretty. Out of the thousands of student athletes, some will go down for good. It's inevitable. And why did we cancel the BTT if covid is still around and rapidly escalating?

It's also too bad Trump didn't believe in or follow science and medical guidelines when the virus was first discovered. Just think how many lives could have been saved.

I don't think there will be a season. Cases are up and it is a double standard when you keep a kid hostage by forcing him to play (even though he will want to as any young naive kid) but no fans in the seats or very little fans. Social distancing fans or having no fans, but never mind the players. Something gotta give and it isn't going to be pretty. Out of the thousands of student athletes, some will go down for good. It's inevitable. And why did we cancel the BTT if covid is still around and rapidly escalating?
It will almost certainly be cancelled. It is actually crazy and utter nonsense that they havent cancelled it yet. Shut it down. Turk, if a kid cant go to a beach or a bar, and cant go anywhere in your neck of the south without a mask, then why risk the kids health at FAU or at the U and not apply the science? Fans wanna know.

Reactions: Titanium999
or, just the fact that we are knowingly putting a segment of the population at risk of a serious, disgusting illness - to me that smacks of how we treat livestock. "ah well a few kids died and a few dozen were bedridden for a while."

Not cool. what if it were your kid that got sick?
These young men already willingly put their health on the line to play the game.

And one could argue that they’re more likely to die of football related injuries - which happen all the time - than they are from COVID-19. Is your stance that we should drop football altogether? How about rugby and NASCAR?

Further, by playing football they’ll be regularly tested and have access to top-notch medical personnel. That likely won’t be the case if they’re at home far away from campus. Given how many young adults are already catching it, would you rather they do so with the best of care - while doing what they love - or while partying, catching and spreading it without realizing, and never going near a doctor?

These young men already willingly put their health on the line to play the game.

And one could argue that they’re more likely to die of football related injuries - which happen all the time - than they are from COVID-19. Is your stance that we should drop football altogether? How about rugby and NASCAR?

Further, by playing football they’ll be regularly tested and have access to top-notch medical personnel. That likely won’t be the case if they’re at home far away from campus. Given how many young adults are already catching it, would you rather they do so with the best of care - while doing what they love - or while partying, catching and spreading it without realizing, and never going near a doctor?
Oh boy. The ole "well, cripes, at least they got covid by doing what they love" argument.
Better that than boozing it up?
Those silly kids!

It will almost certainly be cancelled. It is actually crazy and utter nonsense that they havent cancelled it yet. Shut it down. Turk, if a kid cant go to a beach or a bar, and cant go anywhere in your neck of the south without a mask, then why risk the kids health at FAU or at the U and not apply the science? Fans wanna know.
I thought Wickerpark was Turk? OMG!

You can save the same thing about urban public schools! A nightmare is coming, me thinks!

Oh boy. The ole "well, cripes, at least they got covid by doing what they love" argument.
Better that than boozing it up?
Yes.

There has been no indication that alcohol prevents it helps with the symptoms of COVID-19. It probably worsens it.

I look forward to the confirmatory clinical trial from yourself and Turk based on the science. What phase is that in again?

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Yes.

There has been no indication that alcohol prevents it helps with the symptoms of COVID-19. It probably worsens it.

I look forward to the confirmatory clinical trial from yourself and Turk based on the science. What phase is that in again?
I just think it was silly what you said. Sorry I dont subscribe to your thought that covid is ok if the players got it by doing what they love. Thats just dumb man.

I just think it was silly what you said. Sorry I dont subscribe to your thought that covid is ok if the players got it by doing what they love. Thats just dumb man.
The main argument is that they’ll have access to excellent medical care while playing the game they love - and only have a few years left to do.

It’s not very Christian of you to call someone dumb Turk. Especially when you spend half your time masking your IP just to use a second handle to agree with and congratulate yourself.

Reactions: stpaulcat
The main argument is that they’ll have access to excellent medical care while playing the game they love - and only have a few years left to do.

It’s not very Christian of you to call someone dumb Turk. Especially when you spend half your time masking your IP just to use a second handle to agree with and congratulate yourself.
Im not Turk but what you said was dumb. Stupid. Mine is a fair statement.
Obviously, you think its ok to put the players in harms way. The doctors wont dictate the certain disaster, the covid will. Ill stick with science and so should you. Then we wont have to play guessing games.

Im not Turk but what you said was dumb. Stupid. Mine is a fair statement.
Obviously, you think its ok to put the players in harms way. The doctors wont dictate the certain disaster, the covid will. Ill stick with science and so should you. Then we wont have to play guessing games.
Lying seems to be a thing now.

I can see it now. Two NU kids looking to hook up. They are both in the mood, and then the guy asks...

So, can I remove your mask?

Whoa sexy.

Last edited:
Hey maybe someone should have told wicker/turk to not post their political garbage that started this.

And just where was that political garbage in this thread that you're referencing?

YOU are the only one who brought politics into this thread.

t's also too bad Trump didn't believe in or follow science and medical guidelines when the virus was first discovered. Just think how many lives could have been saved.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's a political statement.

Think about the players and not the money.
I am in the camp that if there is full awareness of the risks on the part of the players and they take appropriate precautions, then it should be up to the players and schools in regards to playing. Having stated that, in mid-May, I thought things were getting way better vis-a-vis the situation with the coronavirus but now it seems like it is turning for the worse the past few weeks. I am pessimistic, but hopeful, about Fall Sports returning on both the professional and collegiate level.

There is a history of sports during pandemics. They played college football during the 1918 flu pandemic. There were some games cancelled though and I am wondering if that is what NCAA and conferences need to be prepping for. In 1918, there were some imbalanced college football schedules with some teams playing like 5 games and others playing as many as around 10. So, I wonder if the Big Ten and other conferences should be looking at how they would award championships...what if you have one team that is 7-2 in conference but another that is 6-1 and another that is 5-0?...who gets the conference title or division championship? If they follow through on playing college ball, then I am sure there may be situationally games that may be cancelled and they may find these scenarios coming up.

Reactions: CatManTrue
And just where was that political garbage in this thread that you're referencing?

YOU are the only one who brought politics into this thread.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's a political statement.
Your kidding, right? Turk/wicker constantly knocking liberal Dems. for riots and the virus, isn't political. Oh OK.

I am in the camp that if there is full awareness of the risks on the part of the players and they take appropriate precautions, then it should be up to the players and schools in regards to playing. Having stated that, in mid-May, I thought things were getting way better vis-a-vis the situation with the coronavirus but now it seems like it is turning for the worse the past few weeks. I am pessimistic, but hopeful, about Fall Sports returning on both the professional and collegiate level.

There is a history of sports during pandemics. They played college football during the 1918 flu pandemic. There were some games cancelled though and I am wondering if that is what NCAA and conferences need to be prepping for. In 1918, there were some imbalanced college football schedules with some teams playing like 5 games and others playing as many as around 10. So, I wonder if the Big Ten and other conferences should be looking at how they would award championships...what if you have one team that is 7-2 in conference but another that is 6-1 and another that is 5-0?...who gets the conference title or division championship? If they follow through on playing college ball, then I am sure there may be situationally games that may be cancelled and they may find these scenarios coming up.
Wrassler/ Titanium was working in the ER in Chicago up until February 15th, 2020. One of his friends working there almost died from Covid-19,and he was very healthy. My guess is that the school aged children will overwhelm the hospital system sometime in September or October. College Football will not be played after that time. Sports take second fiddle to the precious life of children and teens.

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark
Your kidding, right? Turk/wicker constantly knocking liberal Dems. for riots and the virus, isn't political. Oh OK.
You are constantly questioning posters’ brains and constantly writing “your” instead of “you’re”. Once in a while I do it too, but you’re a real gaffe machine.

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark
You are constantly questioning posters’ brains and constantly writing “your” instead of “you’re”. Once in a while I do it too, but you’re a real gaffe machine.
And you just said ...NOTHING!

OK, guess it will make interesting conversation over there. Hey maybe someone should have told wicker/turk to not post their political garbage that started this.
Not sure what you are talking about. My post has nothing to do with politics. And I have stayed away from your political baiting.

Your opinion is valid. I think the truth could end up somewhere between. I can see them postponing, as opposed to canceling. But with the current surge in cases, I think breaking all the social distance rules will really be a political nightmare if 1 NCAA player dies. They still have some time to make a decision but, given current surges, its hard for me not to reimagin springtime for football in the ncaa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT