ADVERTISEMENT

Collins is still recruiting 2021 class beyond PBJ

Read the rock and you will get your response

I'm on the Rock and don't know the answer. Did I miss something? I mean, I hope we are not giving the cold shoulder to potential NBA prospects. I totally understand Lou and Co. trying to expand subscriptions so just let me know if I missed a thread and I'll keep the discussion over there.

I'm on the Rock and don't know the answer. Did I miss something? I mean, I hope we are not giving the cold shoulder to potential NBA prospects. I totally understand Lou and Co. trying to expand subscriptions so just let me know if I missed a thread and I'll keep the discussion over there.
You missed a Rock thread. Started July 19th by Lou.

I'm very much on the fence with Collins as a coach but man is he in a tough spot. If Bates/Brizzi go on to be stars and we don't land PBJ then he will get criticized for not going all out for these 4 star players. But if he didn't hold a spot for PBJ and he went somewhere else the board would have a meltdown. Yikes . . .

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
Interesting. You think because of a positional log jam? I think Simmons projects to be more of wing 3 (he's 6'7) and Bates is more of a traditional SG (I think he's 6'4) Bates is considering Kansas so he can't be afraid of competition to get on the court. I wonder what changed in this situation. Isn't he on the same AAU team as Ty Berry? Not shocked we didn't get him, but shocked not to be in the final 7

I think with Berry, Buie, Audige, Roper, Barnhizer, Simmons, we have a solid 2-deep at 1 through 3 for the next several years, so the coaching staff may now prioritize size for 2022 instead of a larger 2021 class. I think they're happy where they are. If a top kid wants to come, they'd find a way, but I think they're only actually pursuing PBJ. And that happening seems less likely to me these days. I'd go Milwaukee, Duke, then NU now, like 50/30/20.

Reactions: DaCat
I think with Berry, Buie, Audige, Roper, Barnhizer, Simmons, we have a solid 2-deep at 1 through 3 for the next several years, so the coaching staff may now prioritize size for 2022 instead of a larger 2021 class. I think they're happy where they are. If a top kid wants to come, they'd find a way, but I think they're only actually pursuing PBJ. And that happening seems less likely to me these days. I'd go Milwaukee, Duke, then NU now, like 50/30/20.

I agree that the players you named are all solid for the BIG and really good for NU from a historical perspective. Do you think Audige, Roper, Barnhizer, and Simmons are a categorically different level of recruit than Kopp, Nance, Buie, and Young? I ask because Bates and Brizzi seem like they are on a different level.

I don't think that NU has the luxury of waiting on high 4 star recruits, but to take that leap of being consistently competitive in the BIG (7-10 wins per year) it seems like we need a pretty substantial leap in recruiting. But maybe we've done that with this class?

I have no issues with Collins's incremental approach (Berry has a higher ceiling than Greer but not as high as Brizzi) until we see how these recruits pan out, but I'm curious to hear the board's thoughts.

Last edited:
I think with Berry, Buie, Audige, Roper, Barnhizer, Simmons, we have a solid 2-deep at 1 through 3 for the next several years, so the coaching staff may now prioritize size for 2022 instead of a larger 2021 class.
This seems to be the line of thinking by Collins. I have to agree, gotta keep going after PBJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT