ADVERTISEMENT

Commit #3

From Cleveland.com

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/4438740112262862769/willougby-south-ol-nik-urban-verbally-commits-to-play-football-at-northwestern/
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thanks for that link, Zany. Contains a couple of nice tidbits like:

Also a heavyweight wrestler, Urban advanced to the Ohio individual state wrestling championship tournament in March.
He helped clear the way for Rebels RB D.J. Greene, who rushed for more than 1,600 yards and 23 touchdowns as the Rebels reached the Division II playoffs.
Urban's commitment to Northwestern might come as a surprise to some, as the junior told the Northeast Ohio Media Group earlier this month that Duke and Illinois were among his top choices.
I like O linemen who wrestle and Love to beat out Illinois.

Welcome to the Cats!

Interesting junior tape -- big kid, plays nasty, but will have to improve lateral agility at the B1G level. Exclusively a guard prospect. Finishes blocks, but will have to get out of the habit of torquing guys to the ground, as that will get a lot of holding calls at the BCS level. Not surprising to me that he's also a wrestler.

All in all, this is the kind of bigger, more aggressive kind of player we will see NU recruiting more in the coming years to try to get more physical up front.

This is my periodic call for everyone to "like" their facebook posts and "favorite" their tweets when recruits announce they're committing to NU. Totally simple gesture...tip your hat, let them enjoy the event.

Similar to Andrew Otterman. I am also pleased to see NU bringing in some bigger more physical interior line prospects. I think this is the first of 5 OL commits for the class of 2016. It's a good start but we need several more quality prospects. I'd love to see us pull a rabbit out of our hat with WIll Fries.

gocatsgo2003 posted:

"Interesting junior tape -- big kid, plays nasty, but will have to improve lateral agility at the B1G level. Exclusively a guard prospect. Finishes blocks, but will have to get out of the habit of torquing guys to the ground, as that will get a lot of holding calls at the BCS level. Not surprising to me that he's also a wrestler.

All in all, this is the kind of bigger, more aggressive kind of player we will see NU recruiting more in the coming years to try to get more physical up front."

I am curious what you think about his hand placement. He seems to not extend them. If you agree, is this often seen in a wrestler?

Is there a Hinton or O'Dwyer clone out there for NU this year? Would fit the bill of what we need.

Sheffielder

What happens if you favorite a tweet? Does the person who made the tweet see that you did it? I really have not gotten the hang of Twitter

Re: Sheffielder

Originally posted by FloridAlum:
What happens if you favorite a tweet? Does the person who made the tweet see that you did it? I really have not gotten the hang of Twitter
Yes, they can see who "favorite'd" their tweets. To be honest, when it comes to this recruiting stuff I "favorite" on twitter but don't "like" on facebook because on facebook it then shows up in my friends' feeds when I like something, which is annoying to everyone...not a problem on twitter unless you re-tweet it. I also feel like a bit of a stalker on facebook, but twitter by nature is a bit more transparent and less personal. And kids today are more tweeters and instagrammers than facebookers, for what it's worth.

If you want, you can go back and unfavorite a few months later when it all dies down, if you don't want the favorite to follow you or to stay on the record for whatever reason (but it could be fun to look back at the favorite a few years from now when the kid is accepting the Outland Trophy).

As I write this, Nik's commitment tweet (linked) has about 227 "favorites" - down south and at football factories it would be in the thousands. I don't expect we'll ever compete with that, but we should still do our part to treat his commitment like the big deal that it is.

This post was edited on 4/19 3:04 PM by Sheffielder

The Commitment Tweet

Originally posted by Deep Purr:

I am curious what you think about his hand placement. He seems to not extend them. If you agree, is this often seen in a wrestler?
He needs better punch for sure. I made the wrestling comment because you'll often see wrestlers torque guys to the ground -- Lemke-Bell did/does it as well.

I appreciate the young man's commitment and am more than happy to welcome him to NU, but gotta say after the Deuce fiasco that I'll appreciate it a lot more if he's still with us and signing on the bottom line next year.

Great news! Welcome to Nik. Our OL recruiting is a priority this year. Also, I have to think that the strong interest we have from some outstanding 2017 QBs may have played a role in Deuce's decision

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT