ADVERTISEMENT

Could conferences decide to play this fall or is it NCAA decision?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Maybe it has already been discussed, but I have been working under the assumption that the decision to play or defer this fall will be made at the NCAA level. Having said that, I would not be surprised if there would be different views among the individual conferences. I would assume the SEC and Big 12 would push to play even if the B1G and PAC 12 held back, and that getting a consensus of the ACC would be very difficult.

Does anyone have any insight on what happens if one or two conferences push to open, and do the conferences have any say in the matter?

Maybe it has already been discussed, but I have been working under the assumption that the decision to play or defer this fall will be made at the NCAA level. Having said that, I would not be surprised if there would be different views among the individual conferences. I would assume the SEC and Big 12 would push to play even if the B1G and PAC 12 held back, and that getting a consensus of the ACC would be very difficult.

Does anyone have any insight on what happens if one or two conferences push to open, and do the conferences have any say in the matter?
My understanding is that it’s up
To the school presidents.

My understanding is that it’s up
To the school presidents.
Until this virus is under control, i.e vaccine controlled, and the testing shows a marked decrease in incidence, the feasibility of ANY team s playing in the coming football season is remote at best. The Transmission rate would be too high a risk with close proximity and exchange of bodily liquids, i.e sweat and spit, and mucus, and blood. This would be a great time for emphasizing the academic side of college rather than the week-ends. Should there be a miraculous disappearance of the virus ("It will disappear like a miracle") as predicted , then that is a different story. However, I suspect that the schools will not be willing to sacrifice these students on the altar of fandom and bragging rights.

Until this virus is under control, i.e vaccine controlled, and the testing shows a marked decrease in incidence, the feasibility of ANY team s playing in the coming football season is remote at best. The Transmission rate would be too high a risk with close proximity and exchange of bodily liquids, i.e sweat and spit, and mucus, and blood. This would be a great time for emphasizing the academic side of college rather than the week-ends. Should there be a miraculous disappearance of the virus ("It will disappear like a miracle") as predicted , then that is a different story. However, I suspect that the schools will not be willing to sacrifice these students on the altar of fandom and bragging rights.
With football and money being king, I think the SEC and BIG 12 will go ahead.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
With football and money being king, I think the SEC and BIG 12 will go ahead.
I suspect that if Vegas was open, it would be a major betting line. But I think that even the SEC is not stupid enough to put players' lives on the line for a sport that currently carries too much risk. So I will respectfully disagree with you on this one.

TOS has Iowa looking to start some form of football practice on June1.
Reinforces my disdain for Iowa. They have always been my least favorite BIG school. The curves are bending down, but it will require patience to get it so low that we can stay on top of it. The idiots that are rushing to open back up put us all at risk and will only delay the suffering - both health and financial - for all of us.

The idiots that are rushing to open back up put us all at risk and will only delay the suffering - both health and financial - for all of us.

I agree about the football point only, but the rest belongs on the Rant Board. But, what the heck - - the idiots that are against some reasonable and careful "opening up" appear to be indifferent to the suffering - - health and financial - - a substantial number of Americans are enduring now.

I agree about the football point only, but the rest belongs on the Rant Board. But, what the heck - - the idiots that are against some reasonable and careful "opening up" appear to be indifferent to the suffering - - health and financial - - a substantial number of Americans are enduring now.
Or the idiots who want to “open up” the economy are indifferent to the doctors and nurses that will have to treat (and out their lives at risk) the people who get sick.

Reactions: willycat

So how much assistance have you given them out of your own pocket?

I just get very frustrated. I know people are having a tough time, but they aren't helping things by trying to rush this. A month makes a world of difference right now with this virus. With each passing day that the infection curve bends downward, it gets safer out there. If we start opening up now while there are still a lot of active cases, then it will quickly start to spread again and all these sacrifices people have made over the last month are wasted. But if we hold out a little longer, the number of cases drops to a point where we can stay on top of things.

So, yes... people who are out there protesting and governors who are rushing re-opening are idiots who are only making things worse for everyone.

Reinforces my disdain for Iowa. They have always been my least favorite BIG school. The curves are bending down, but it will require patience to get it so low that we can stay on top of it. The idiots that are rushing to open back up put us all at risk and will only delay the suffering - both health and financial - for all of us.
I've lived in Iowa for several years. Trust me, there is nothing else to do.

Quite a bit, now that you ask. You do best speaking of that which you know, like football.

That's funny because I know little about the X's and O's of football. Certainly a lot less than I know about biology. Obviously, you know even less than I do to make that errant remark.:eek:

I simply asked a question (which means I DON'T know) after you suggested those who push for lengthier social separation are unaware or don't care about others' suffering. Living in a depressed area, I'm well aware of others' circumstances and have set aside/spent a substantial sum of my personal assets to help others who seriously need help in this crisis.

Last edited:
Urban Meyer was asked that question on ESPN last night. He said he was optimistic and alluded to the possibility that we would have college football sometime this year. That said he noted there could be issues in the Big Ten with the Big Ten schools on the East Coast perhaps not being able to participate.

That's funny because I know little about the X's and O's of football. Certainly a lot less than I know about biology. Obviously, you know even less than I do to make that errant remark.:eek:

I simply asked a question (which means I DON'T know) after you suggested those who push for lengthier social separation are unaware or don't care about others' suffering. Living in a depressed area, I'm well aware of others' circumstances and have set aside/spent a substantial sum of my personal assets to help others who seriously need help in this crisis.
I did not profess to know much about biology, and I could not possibly care less about what you profess to know about biology. Extending shutdowns versus opening with caution and reasonable restrictions in place is a delicate balancing act. That's why I abhor posts that paint with a broad brush.

Frankly, I agree with the poster on the Rant Board who sees little to be gained in political discussions. Posters have their own leanings, their agenda, and articles they can selectively quote to support their point. Not much in the way of open-minded discussion. Somewhat like MSNBC versus Fox. In any event, back to a lively discussion of when to expect football to return.

I did not profess to know much about biology, and I could not possibly care less about what you profess to know about biology. Extending shutdowns versus opening with caution and reasonable restrictions in place is a delicate balancing act. That's why I abhor posts that paint with a broad brush.

Frankly, I agree with the poster on the Rant Board who sees little to be gained in political discussions. Posters have their own leanings, their agenda, and articles they can selectively quote to support their point. Not much in the way of open-minded discussion. Somewhat like MSNBC versus Fox. In any event, back to a lively discussion of when to expect football to return.
For your information the Trump Administration has advised states to first show weeks of lower virus infections before opening business'. Thus far none of the states that have opened or about to open have achieved that goal. That doesn't sound very good, does it?

For your information the Trump Administration has advised states to first show weeks of lower virus infections before opening business'. Thus far none of the states that have opened or about to open have achieved that goal. That doesn't sound very good, does it?

I can only speak for Alaska, but our death rate has been locked at 9 for what seems like a week with no new hospitalizations. Single digit daily increases in infected additions have been the norm for at least two weeks with an increasingly impressive recovery rate.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
I can only speak for Alaska, but our death rate has been locked at 9 for what seems like a week with no new hospitalizations. Single digit daily increases in infected additions have been the norm for at least two weeks with an increasingly impressive recovery rate.

Great news. How was Benihana? Bummer this happened, if you're in Hawaii late summer or fall, we will be there and will have to meet up!

Erik

Great news. How was Benihana? Bummer this happened, if you're in Hawaii late summer or fall, we will be there and will have to meet up!

Erik

Pleasant experience and the tip seemed especially appreciated. Have to feel for those in the service industry who have been denied the opportunity to serve.

(FWIW today’s numbers just came out and there are no new deaths or hospitalizations in Alaska for today as well. At 9 new cases we also stayed in single digits for new cases today.)

Hawaii has done an impressive job of flattening the curve as well so hopefully tourists will once again be welcomed in the months ahead.

Last edited:
Pleasant experience and the tip seemed especially appreciated. Have to feel for those in the service industry who have been denied the opportunity to serve.

(FWIW today’s numbers just came out and there are no new deaths or hospitalizations in Alaska for today as well. At 9 new cases we also stayed in single digits for new cases today.)

Hawaii has done an impressive job of flattening the curve as well so hopefully tourists will once again be welcomed in the months ahead.

I hope so. I want to buy a place there eventually. We love Hawaii.

Erik

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
https://bigten.org/news/2020/4/20/g...k-force-for-emerging-infectious-diseases.aspx

With apologies if this has already been discussed, but here is the roster of the league wide experts who will be advising the b10 on reopening, likely with the safety of players and whatever fans admitted at the forefront. Note that 13 of 14 league members chose physicians for the panel and note the area of expertise of Northwestern‘s representative.*

‘This morning (May 4) the b10 officially kicked the can down the road another 4 weeks in making informed decisions about schools resuming activities, the clear inference that they are talking about summer football conditioning, this date would correspond with Iowa’s announcement last week. As we all know, this situation is incredibly fluid and impacts vary widely given geographical area. Yet, I would be shocked if the league resumed activities at some schools while the proximity to hotbeds from Piscataway, Ann Arbor, and Evanston might make things more challenging given the geographic prevalence of Covid.

* if anyone can share more information about NU’s representative to this group, I’d welcome the opportunity to be better informed. TIA.

Reactions: eastbaycat99

Having posted this on April 30, I guess I could have waited 100 days.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT