ADVERTISEMENT

Could Fitz pull a Chris Petersen after several more years?

MotownMedilldo

Jan 13, 2004
I've always respected Chris Petersen for what he did at Boise State and then awakening the sleeping giant at Washington. His "Built for Life" philosophy is similar to what Fitz preaches about committing to Northwestern for 40 years, not 4 or 5. How long do you think Fitz will stay? Everything I've read indicates he wants to coach his sons, so that gives as about another decade.

‘Coach Pete brought us back to prominence’: Current, former UW players react to Chris Petersen’s departure
I had the same reaction when I saw the Petersen announcement. One difference: Washington expects to be in the CFP, which is a whole 'nother level of pressure to what Fitz faces annually. Expectations in Evanston are a couple of orders of magnitude less. Much less stress on Fitz than probably any other Power 5 program.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
It’s a demanding job, especially when expectations are conference title/ CFP or bust. I don’t think NU carries that level of scrutiny, though these boards may give the feeling that the world is on fire after seasons like the one we just concluded. In reality, NU is a smaller P5 school in a pro sports media market. So the pressure on Fitz is not like anything coach Pete would have experienced.

It’s a demanding job, especially when expectations are conference title/ CFP or bust. I don’t think NU carries that level of scrutiny, though these boards may give the feeling that the world is on fire after seasons like the one we just concluded. In reality, NU is a smaller P5 school in a pro sports media market. So the pressure on Fitz is not like anything coach Pete would have experienced.

I don't disagree, but Seattle is a pro sports media market, too.

I think as much as anything else, Fitz's philosophies on making staff spend at least a night a week with family and the like help stave off burnout. And anyone who has seen Fitz at events like March Madness knows how much he loves this stuff.

I had the same reaction when I saw the Petersen announcement. One difference: Washington expects to be in the CFP, which is a whole 'nother level of pressure to what Fitz faces annually. Expectations in Evanston are a couple of orders of magnitude less. Much less stress on Fitz than probably any other Power 5 program.
Did WA really have those aspirations prior to his arrival?

I've always respected Chris Petersen for what he did at Boise State and then awakening the sleeping giant at Washington. His "Built for Life" philosophy is similar to what Fitz preaches about committing to Northwestern for 40 years, not 4 or 5. How long do you think Fitz will stay? Everything I've read indicates he wants to coach his sons, so that gives as about another decade.

‘Coach Pete brought us back to prominence’: Current, former UW players react to Chris Petersen’s departure

Isn’t Peterson much older than Fitz? I wouldn’t expect this type of exit for Fitz for quite some time.

I think as much as anything else, Fitz's philosophies on making staff spend at least a night a week with family and the like help stave off burnout. And anyone who has seen Fitz at events like March Madness knows how much he loves this stuff.

It is a football town, and UW dominates the alumni scene.

I wonder if , at some point, Fitz will start thinking legacy and identify the person he wants to take over for him and start laying the groundwork for that, both internally (within the program itself) and externally (within the athletic department and University). The higher the likelihood that Fitz is succeeded by someone internally, the larger number of people associated with the program keep jobs that would be immediately at risk if you bring in a complete outsider (one of the reasons coaches like Bryant and Schembechler stayed so long, and in the case of the latter, got named AD to avoid all uncertainties.

All of the above happens only as long as the winning continues.

One might argue this is what a Randy Walker was starting to do with Fitz (especially internally) before his death.

It is a challenge to burn very bright and very hot for such a long time. It is helped if one has created a life for one’s self outside of football.

As an aside, the success of Northwestern athletics in the long term is largely dependent upon on the TV contract. If in the next round of renegotiations (mid 2020s) the contract number shows signs of weakness (only holding steady or declining in light of cord cutting tendencies), that might be a big motivation to tie a coaching exit strategy to peak roster/performance and retire sooner than later.

UW sports are a BIG deal in the Seattle market.

Peterson's announcement is surprising...but is it? Just because other prominent head coaches often want to coach themselves into the grave?

Can anyone here imagine being an FBS coach for more than a couple of years?

Being beholden to the decisions of high school children and their parents?

...And then to college students? Have you met a college student before? They're the worst!

Earning millions that your family gets to enjoy while they resent the 100+ hours per week you spend at work?

The nonstop scrutiny and criticism whether you are Nick Saban or (enter really bad coach's name here)?

Having fans support you one day and turn on you like rabid dogs the next?

The nearly constant, imminent threat of being fired?

groan - nails on the chalkboard, this phrase

Reactions: Noah121
Maybe Fitz can bring Petersen onboard as an advisor for the offense while the latter figures out his next move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT