ADVERTISEMENT

Counting Wins for Next Fall, 2019

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Obviously, our schedule drops off for next year. We could actually go undefeated. Not just because of the drop off but because we are just that good. Of course, in true conservative fashion, we could go too conservative and have UMass clobber us as well. Here is the early win/loss prediction. What is your's?

Stanford: This team is only a so so team now. Nothing 'wow' like it used to be. Win
9/14/2019 UNLV. Suck team. Win
9/21/2019 Michigan State: Already better than them. We have owned them since 2013. Win
9/28/2019 Wisconsin Madison. We moved past them pretty handedly. No looking back. It's our division now. Win (Note: Will be our toughest game. Red circle it)
10/5/2019 Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. Win
10/18/2019 Ohio State. No Haskins or Meyer. Should pull a win out.
10/26/2019 Iowa (Homecoming). Win
Last 5 will be BLOWOUTS
11/2/2019 Indiana Bloomington, Ind. TBA Details
11/9/2019 Purdue Evanston, Ill. TBA Details
11/16/2019 UMass Evanston, Ill. TBA Details
11/23/2019 Minnesota Evanston, Ill. TBA Details
11/30/2019 Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA Details

Big Ten Championship: Win
Playoff: Loss against Alabama

Obviously, our schedule drops off for next year. We could actually go undefeated. Not just because of the drop off but because we are just that good. Of course, in true conservative fashion, we could go too conservative and have UMass clobber us as well. Here is the early win/loss prediction. What is your's?

Stanford: This team is only a so so team now. Nothing 'wow' like it used to be. Win
9/21/2019 Michigan State: Already better than them. We have owned them since 2013. Win
9/28/2019 Wisconsin Madison. We moved past them pretty handedly. No looking back. It's our division now. Win (Note: Will be our toughest game. Red circle it)
Last 5 will be BLOWOUTS

Screw that Turk! We can beat Alabama!

I like what you are drinking but I think there is some serious moonshine in it
straight up I say that Vegas will mark us as underdogs in 3 of those games. I just think the coaching shakeup at OSU and departure of Haskins means we have a chance against OSU at home. Stanford really has dropped. And Wisconsin had a hard time running against Paddy. Paddy is back. Those are the only vegas lines that I think will be underdogs. We should be clear favs in the last 5 games. Dunno but unless we retreat and lose the west next year, when we will be even better, I think we will be right back in the BT Championship.

I mean, we smoked the entire west. Wisconsin wasn't even a game and we won the west with 3 games remaining in the season.

Last 5 will be BLOWOUTS

That was fun. I think 9-3 in the regular season is more realistic. We have a good shot at the West, but Wisky and Neb will be better, so we might not run the table again.

Last 5 will be BLOWOUTS

Ahhh...irrational Turk. That’s more like it.

That was fun. I think 9-3 in the regular season is more realistic. We have a good shot at the West, but Wisky and Neb will be better, so we might not run the table again.
I suppose your 9-3 guess is reasonably safe and par but with us trending in a progressively better program and only losing more than 2 regular season conference games only once since 2014, I like our chances for birdie. Especially as others have noted, all 11 of our starters from the bowl game are coming back. That defense was simply ferocious. Toss in a Clemson QB to help us and it's time to hang on to our hats!

I suppose your 9-3 guess is reasonably safe and par but with us trending in a progressively better program and only losing more than 2 regular season conference games only once since 2014, I like our chances for birdie. Especially as others have noted, all 11 of our starters from the bowl game are coming back. That defense was simply ferocious. Toss in a Clemson QB to help us and it's time to hang on to our hats!

Just not true. #FakeNews

Reactions: phatcat
Depends a lot on how we start the season. With the West improving gonna be really hard to win the division with a slow start. Also, I'm still terrified of OSU with Fields playing with a bunch of 5 stars...recruiting may slow for them in the future but they've still got top players coming in/underclassmen.

Nebraska I see making a moderate jump next year, albeit not the gargantuan one some predict. People say they return a lot of talent, but NU returns the same number of starters not including Hunter. Looking at their schedule, they've got five "gimmes" (3 OOC games + Rutgers/Illinois). I also firmly believe they are better than Minny. Don't think they'll beat OSU/PSU. Depending how they are / other teams turn out I see them about 2 of NU / Wisky / Iowa / Purdue. So I think 8-4 is reasonable for them with bigger sights on a West title in 2020/21.

Iowa is going to be a little down next year. They have a tougher schedule and are graduating/sending to the NFL almost everyone of consequence on their team aside from Stanley and their RB. 5-7 or 6-6 would not really surprise me for them next year.

Wisconsin will be interesting. If they can shore up the defense I honestly think they are the favorites in the West given their history and that they are returning a 2000 yd rusher and most of an NFL-caliber OL. If the defense is porous they will have the same issues as this past year. One thing to note though is that their margin of error is razor-thin - they draw BOTH OSU and Michigan in crossover play next year. Meaning one loss to a West team will preclude them from the division championship.

Purdue is the ultimate wildcard for me. I feel like they're the most hyped up 13-13 team I've ever seen. Are they the team pulling in top 100 recruits and beating OSU or the team that lost to Eastern Michigan and got destroyed by Auburn? Next year their schedule is easier, three easier OOC games and two crossover games against Indiana + Maryland plus Illinois, so 6 wins should be the floor for them. But does Brohm take the big leap forward many expect or is it an incremental season at like 8-4?

Lastly Illinois - I've heard lots of Illinois fans saying they expect bowl game in year 4 of Lovie and that if he doesn't get it that he deserves to go. They do have 4 "gimmes" in their OOC and Rutgers...but do you really see them winning two West games next year? I don't. Is Lovie finally gone after next year then?

Reactions: ricko654321
Depends a lot on how we start the season. With the West improving gonna be really hard to win the division with a slow start. Also, I'm still terrified of OSU with Fields playing with a bunch of 5 stars...recruiting may slow for them in the future but they've still got top players coming in/underclassmen.

Nebraska I see making a moderate jump next year, albeit not the gargantuan one some predict. People say they return a lot of talent, but NU returns the same number of starters not including Hunter. Looking at their schedule, they've got five "gimmes" (3 OOC games + Rutgers/Illinois). I also firmly believe they are better than Minny. Don't think they'll beat OSU/PSU. Depending how they are / other teams turn out I see them about 2 of NU / Wisky / Iowa / Purdue. So I think 8-4 is reasonable for them with bigger sights on a West title in 2020/21.

Iowa is going to be a little down next year. They have a tougher schedule and are graduating/sending to the NFL almost everyone of consequence on their team aside from Stanley and their RB. 5-7 or 6-6 would not really surprise me for them next year.

Wisconsin will be interesting. If they can shore up the defense I honestly think they are the favorites in the West given their history and that they are returning a 2000 yd rusher and most of an NFL-caliber OL. If the defense is porous they will have the same issues as this past year. One thing to note though is that their margin of error is razor-thin - they draw BOTH OSU and Michigan in crossover play next year. Meaning one loss to a West team will preclude them from the division championship.

Purdue is the ultimate wildcard for me. I feel like they're the most hyped up 13-13 team I've ever seen. Are they the team pulling in top 100 recruits and beating OSU or the team that lost to Eastern Michigan and got destroyed by Auburn? Next year their schedule is easier, three easier OOC games and two crossover games against Indiana + Maryland plus Illinois, so 6 wins should be the floor for them. But does Brohm take the big leap forward many expect or is it an incremental season at like 8-4?

Lastly Illinois - I've heard lots of Illinois fans saying they expect bowl game in year 4 of Lovie and that if he doesn't get it that he deserves to go. They do have 4 "gimmes" in their OOC and Rutgers...but do you really see them winning two West games next year? I don't. Is Lovie finally gone after next year then?
I haven't looked at schedules yet, but just shooting from the hip, something like:
Northwestern 7-2
Wisconsin 6-3
Nebraska 5-4
Purdue 5-4
Iowa 4-5
Minnesota 3-6
Illinois 1-8

In reality any one of those top 5 (possibly even 6) teams could step up and get 7 or 8 wins, it's anyone's guess who. I'm hoping us, but it's a pretty wide open West next year.

I haven't looked at schedules yet, but just shooting from the hip, something like:
Northwestern 7-2
Wisconsin 6-3
Nebraska 5-4
Purdue 5-4
Iowa 4-5
Minnesota 3-6
Illinois 1-8

In reality any one of those top 5 (possibly even 6) teams could step up and get 7 or 8 wins, it's anyone's guess who. I'm hoping us, but it's a pretty wide open West next year.
That suggests the West is -1 in crossover games, which is not outlandish.

That suggests the West is -1 in crossover games, which is not outlandish.
yeah i had us collectively +1 when i first added it up but that seemed a bit optimistic so i knocked a game off of Iowa's total. One could have easily put NU at 6-3 (with Wiscy) and Iowa at 5-4 (with Purdue and Nebby) which would be somewhat of a ridiculous logjam. The top 5 teams could end up in lots of different orders.

Maybe Ferentz pulls some magic out of his ass but honestly I see Iowa at 3-6. Their schedule is:

vs Rutgers
@ Michigan
vs Penn State
vs Purdue
@ Northwestern
@ Wisconsin
vs Minnesota
vs Illinois
@ Nebraska

With losing as much talent as they are I could see them topping Illinois and Rutgers, with one of Minny / Purdue thrown in.

Do we have enuf of a fan base to sell out our allotment at another B1G championship and the BCS playoffs?

We're all going to just pretend that this isn't a thing?:

that makes sense. i only noticed a few early blitzes but if lowry said they blitzed alot in the first half, thats good enuf for me. what i found interesting is how Doc allowed lowey and the defense to makethe call on the stave sack. lowry told hankwitz that they wanted to play it straight because the d felt that they could get to the qb with pressure without blitzing. i stand corrected though, as what i saw from my perspective was only a few first half blitzes.

looks like mccall called some of those but thorson didnt pull the trigger but instead bailed out of the pocket to his left and tossed the ball into the stands. i know we arent getting much separation but we have enuf to make the throw. The sooner Thorson learns to step up in the pocket instead of bailing out, the better he will be.

+1
one guy you didnt mention that may play a role is Goens at DE.
Our best defenders come back (Walker harris Godwin) and although nvh was solid, Watkins offered improved play against tenn and was phenomenal.
But perhaps the most improved player and maybe the most incredible will be Thompson. This guy got better and more visible as the season wore on. Although speculative, its possible that him and lancaster make up at least a 3rd team all big ten combo next year as both are good but thompson couldbecome exceptional really quick.

My concern is at de. Ifeadi just isnt big enuf. And Xwas was beaten badly in all 3 losses.

On offense its hard to know where to start but i thought olson was gone? i like the core of frazier north hence though. Dickerson needs to stay on the field as well.

to be clear, i have seen enuf evidence to be very very comfortable with a few coaching departures that would have validity. I only presented how others are justifying McCall and Springer to try a 4th time to get it right.

id say about 6-6. Obviously uw smokes them but they are capable of upsetting iowa or nebraska. I hope we can upset uw but its gonna be tuff enuf for us. If we beat michigan and upset uw then we got a chance.

Do we have enuf of a fan base to sell out our allotment at another B1G championship and the BCS playoffs?

Reactions: Ish0522 and DaCat
This isn't going to get better for you (all separate instances, by the way):
Carry on!​

Huh? well, I guess nobody can stop you from pushing the narrative that Fitz was shocked.
Carry on!

Reactions: Ish0522
I love that the Cats open against Stanford. We will know a lot about our team after that game. Although, as I learned this year in multiple ways, no matter what happens, never give up on the Cats.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and rmndcat
If Wicker bothers you, why don't you just Ignore it? Works for me with Puke and a couple of others.
Yeah, I mean they are a tiny bit annoying but it’s all harmless as trolling goes. They are mimicking Turk (or are Turk) but they aren’t insulting others or flaming. It’s only an issue bc you and others keep making it one. The more you complain about it the more you are fueling it. Just ignore it. Ever since everyone did that with Wrassler on the b-ball board re his Ash schtick that’s pretty much died down. (Or if it hasn’t I don’t notice anything or care bc I have it on ignore!!)

Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin
Ever since everyone did that with Wrassler on the b-ball board re his Ash schtick that’s pretty much died down. (Or if it hasn’t I don’t notice anything or care bc I have it on ignore!!)
Sadly, the Ash schtick has died because Jordan is too hurt to play. Very tough break for Jordan to miss out on his Senior year as he tries to recover from his knee surgery.

Reactions: drewjin
Sadly, the Ash schtick has died because Jordan is too hurt to play. Very tough break for Jordan to miss out on his Senior year as he tries to recover from his knee surgery.
Well, the injury is sad for Jordan, but I think the schtick started dying down before that. Or at least, I and many others stopped noticing it. Hopefully Jordan gets healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT