ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo on Hunter Johnson coming to NU

congratulations on an excellent recruitment. there are no guarantees but he was a 5* prospect out of High school and hope he does we'll. Side note it seems that a lot of QB's seem to transfer and multiple times if things do not seem to be working out at the original school i.e. Gunner Kiel, Blake Barnett multiple times, Kyle Allen, Shea Patterson and I am sure there are others. Seems to me these kids should think about different schools upfront instead of their original choice. They may not be a good fit for the original choice

Reactions: StreamCat
Quarterbacks are different because only 1 typically gets to play. Clemson had the #1 overall player who happened to be a quarterback and apparently replaced Hunter as the back up and will likely replace Kelly as the starter. Should Hunter have taken the Matt Cassell approach and hope he could get a chance with little college experience? Should Hunter have predicted that Trevor Lawerence would choose Clemson and be getting Heisman hype already? Nah, you just want to trash a kid for making a tough choice. Good job, Notre Dame dickhead.

Reactions: RockfishCat
Quarterbacks are different because only 1 typically gets to play. Clemson had the #1 overall player who happened to be a quarterback and apparently replaced Hunter as the back up and will likely replace Kelly as the starter. Should Hunter have taken the Matt Cassell approach and hope he could get a chance with little college experience? Should Hunter have predicted that Trevor Lawerence would choose Clemson and be getting Heisman hype already? Nah, you just want to trash a kid for making a tough choice. Good job, Notre Dame dickhead.

Where did i trash him? I just pointed this seems to be a trend of QB's. So saying he may consider other schools instead of the big name schools in the beginning is a bad suggestion? We dealt with this w/ gunner kiel. He committed to 1 school then LSU at the last minute he chose ND and then the next year Cincy. Nothing against his decision, he chose that school in end because of immediate playing time. He would of sat another year before probably starting at ND. Personally, I think Hunter made a good choice for himself but probably should of thought this through better when he was a senior in HS. He is going to get a good education, probably start in 2019 and play some decent competition. If he is good enough he may get a look in the NFL but worse case scenario he will be getting a good degree where he has a good future head of him. So hurl insults but you are not being reasonable.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Where did i trash him? I just pointed this seems to be a trend of QB's. So saying he may consider other schools instead of the big name schools in the beginning is a bad suggestion? We dealt with this w/ gunner kiel. He committed to 1 school then LSU at the last minute he chose ND and then the next year Cincy. Nothing against his decision, he chose that school in end because of immediate playing time. He would of sat another year before probably starting at ND. Personally, I think Hunter made a good choice for himself but probably should of thought this through better when he was a senior in HS. He is going to get a good education, probably start in 2019 and play some decent competition. If he is good enough he may get a look in the NFL but worse case scenario he will be getting a good degree where he has a good future head of him. So hurl insults but you are not being reasonable.
Top QBs want to play and in CFB, only one gets to unlike any other position. If you suddenly find yourself behind a guy younger than you ( vast majority of programs could not have a guy like Hunter being groomed and then be able to pull in #1 overall recruit at the same position) and is going to make it so all you ever see is mop up duty, it is reasonable to decide to move on or try to change positions.

congratulations on an excellent recruitment. there are no guarantees but he was a 5* prospect out of High school and hope he does we'll. Side note it seems that a lot of QB's seem to transfer and multiple times if things do not seem to be working out at the original school i.e. Gunner Kiel, Blake Barnett multiple times, Kyle Allen, Shea Patterson and I am sure there are others. Seems to me these kids should think about different schools upfront instead of their original choice. They may not be a good fit for the original choice

If I had a son who was a legit star QB, I would encourage him to shoot for the stars within the constraints of going to a good school with great people and the appropriate fit. That's what Johnson did. It wasn't the guy ahead of him that was the issue. It was the phenom behind him that created a bad situation for Hunter. So now he's going to plan B while still shooting for the stars in that NU now gives him the best shot of getting the reps and game experience/exposure all QBs need.

As a general rule, I would agree that too many recruits think too big and don't give enough attention to things like fit and opportunity/stability.

GOUNUII

Top QBs want to play and in CFB, only one gets to unlike any other position. If you suddenly find yourself behind a guy younger than you ( vast majority of programs could not have a guy like Hunter being groomed and then be able to pull in #1 overall recruit at the same position) and is going to make it so all you ever see is mop up duty, it is reasonable to decide to move on or try to change positions.

I agree. We have our 3rd QB Avery Davis who is an unbelievable athlete who may be used as a slot back because of his incredible ball skills and quickness. Plus we have a top notch QB coming in this august so the coaches are trying to figure out what they can do with Avery. Bottom line on all athletics, as was told to me at a baseball coaching clinic... Everyone plays little league, 1% of these little leaguers make their high school team. 25% of all high school players play at some level of college baseball and 1% of all college players play some form of the pro's. the odds are not with you so getting that quality education is key.

I agree. We have our 3rd QB Avery Davis who is an unbelievable athlete who may be used as a slot back because of his incredible ball skills and quickness. Plus we have a top notch QB coming in this august so the coaches are trying to figure out what they can do with Avery. Bottom line on all athletics, as was told to me at a baseball coaching clinic... Everyone plays little league, 1% of these little leaguers make their high school team. 25% of all high school players play at some level of college baseball and 1% of all college players play some form of the pro's. the odds are not with you so getting that quality education is key.
So why would they go to ND?

It's a crapshoot anywhere you go ... look no further than Matt Alviti.
A big problem he had is he got injured at the worst possible time. He was going to get his shot but injured and CT passed him by. Luckily for us, he was not in a position, because of the injuries, where he could improve his situation and he was able to come through for us in his last game

So why would they go to ND?

That’s just silly.
Why the hypocrisy? I keep reading how arrogant ND fans are, but you pretend like Northwestern is Harvard. I have my undergrad from Air Force & even though the academies aren’t ranked I would easily put our academics alongside Ivy League schools. But I’m not going to trash Northwestern & pretend it’s not a great school. So why trash ND just because you don’t like the football team?

If I had a son who was a legit star QB, I would encourage him to shoot for the stars within the constraints of going to a good school with great people and the appropriate fit. That's what Johnson did. It wasn't the guy ahead of him that was the issue. It was the phenom behind him that created a bad situation for Hunter. So now he's going to plan B while still shooting for the stars in that NU now gives him the best shot of getting the reps and game experience/exposure all QBs need.

As a general rule, I would agree that too many recruits think too big and don't give enough attention to things like fit and opportunity/stability.

GOUNUII
He absolutely think he did the right thing all around. It didn't turn out to be the straightest path but look at his opportunities for growth and development. Two years at Clemson where he had excellent coaching and facilities and all the inspiration to believe he would be he starter until the unexpected happened and they landed an incredible talent rarely seen before by all reports. Now he sits out a year but sitting out will not be sitting out except in terms of playing time. He will learn a whole new scheme which will expand his QB IQ and will continue in his strength and conditioning under a new set of excellent coaches. He will then have up to three years to be the #1 QB in the new system. That is potentially a total of 6 years of development.
Personally I will be disappointed if he plays 3 years (unless the third year is a championship or something). If he is as good as advertised he should be a high draft pick after one or two years and NU will have had real good success in the early recruiting years with the new facility.

Obviously said with a bias but I really liked how genuine Dabo was. Many coaches take players transferring very personally even if they actually do wish the best for their former players. Alamost none, however, give more than the “we wish xyz the best of luck and thank him for his contributions to the program.”

This is a much more human statement. I commend that.

"these kids should think about different schools upfront instead of their original choice"..silly me, I have been assuming all along that was what the recruiting process was all about.

"these kids should think about different schools upfront instead of their original choice"..silly me, I have been assuming all along that was what the recruiting process was all about.

I had a son who was recruited in baseball and basketball and when you are 17-19 you do not think with a lot of perspective. Actually it goes to their heads. They are good but not as they think they are. As you go up the pyramid get more constrained. So they see a shiny object say Arizona in basketball but they may not be a fit there and they may never play like they think they will. So, I pressed him in the following manner what do you want to do if baseball does not work out or you get injured? Who has a great academic program that will help you get there? What are the chances based on the current sports lineup do you have a chance to play freshman, sophomore years etc? Do you like the school, coaches? Are they going to help or are you going to be a number? Some of these kids do not get good advise or go to the latest shinny object.

The poster named JJTBC was harsh, but this follow up was condescending : he will play "some decent competition" because the B1G is not ND and "if he is good enough he may get a look in the NFL", because although nearly any so called elite program QB will get called by the NFL, NU can only hope that he "may get a look"

The poster named JJTBC was harsh, but this follow up was condescending : he will play "some decent competition" because the B1G is not ND and "if he is good enough he may get a look in the NFL", because although nearly any so called elite program QB will get called by the NFL, NU can only hope that he "may get a look"

Wow! nitpicking! Decent competition is true. You are playing in the B10 and it is a quality conference. I never said it is not Notre Dame you are interpreting it in a wrong headed way. Yes if he is good enough he will get a look. You realize it is darn hard to get a look in the NFL. My God are you being overly sensitive and trying interpret instead realizing I was complementing him and NW.

He absolutely think he did the right thing all around. It didn't turn out to be the straightest path but look at his opportunities for growth and development. Two years at Clemson where he had excellent coaching and facilities and all the inspiration to believe he would be he starter until the unexpected happened and they landed an incredible talent rarely seen before by all reports. Now he sits out a year but sitting out will not be sitting out except in terms of playing time. He will learn a whole new scheme which will expand his QB IQ and will continue in his strength and conditioning under a new set of excellent coaches. He will then have up to three years to be the #1 QB in the new system. That is potentially a total of 6 years of development.
Personally I will be disappointed if he plays 3 years (unless the third year is a championship or something). If he is as good as advertised he should be a high draft pick after one or two years and NU will have had real good success in the early recruiting years with the new facility.
I think only one year at Clemson

That’s just silly.
Why the hypocrisy? I keep reading how arrogant ND fans are, but you pretend like Northwestern is Harvard. I have my undergrad from Air Force & even though the academies aren’t ranked I would easily put our academics alongside Ivy League schools. But I’m not going to trash Northwestern & pretend it’s not a great school. So why trash ND just because you don’t like the football team?
It was meant as a joke.

So the sitting out a year is considered a red shirt?
No. But a player only has 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility, so it has the same effect. He played one season at Clemson, sits out a year for the transfer, and then has 3 more years of potential eligibility.

Reactions: hdhntr1
So the sitting out a year is considered a red shirt?
Sort of but more a mandatory one. If he had not played last year taking a RS, he would still be forced to sit out this year and would actually lose a year of being able to play as you have 5 to play 4. He would have sat out two and only have a time line of 3 more years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT