ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Northwestern on Coach Jake

How can you judge someone after playing In that offense?

McCall was fired by Fitz, do you know how bad you have to be to be fired by Fitz?

That in itself is an acknowledgement that we have far more ability than what we saw.

My vote for post of the year.

Geez, how fun was that motion where a RB moves from slot to the backfield, then another two yards deeper? Shanahan is a genius. So fun to watch. (If only he’d called a damn run in the Falcons-Pats Super Bowl...)

Yeah, b/c no one ever makes a mistake in their career...

Shanahan's run scheme is more complex than that and makes opposing D's guess (at times) on the QB handing off to potentially 3 different players (Jimmy G can scramble, but he's no running QB; imaging if KS had such a QB and that would make 4 potential runners that the opposing D would have to account for).

KS' system is good enough to allow a no-name RB, Mostert (who had been cut by 6 diff teams) to have a historic game in the playoffs.

This season, the 49ers run game had nearly 200 yds of rushing before contact; meanwhile, JJtBC had to repeatedly make defenders miss behind the LoS.

There's a reason why the greatest coach in the history of the NFL (and a defensive-minded one at that) offered KS Jimmy G at below market value.

He knew KS was the best offensive mind in the NFL and wanted to make sure Jimmy G had every chance of success so that Kraft would feel it for having forced his hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Figrating
Yeah, b/c no one ever makes a mistake in their career...

Shanahan's run scheme is more complex than that and makes opposing D's guess (at times) on the QB handing off to potentially 3 different players (Jimmy G can scramble, but he's no running QB; imaging if KS had such a QB and that would make 4 potential runners that the opposing D would have to account for).

KS' system is good enough to allow a no-name RB, Mostert (who had been cut by 6 diff teams) to have a historic game in the playoffs.

This season, the 49ers run game had nearly 200 yds of rushing before contact; meanwhile, JJtBC had to repeatedly make defenders miss behind the LoS.

There's a reason why the greatest coach in the history of the NFL (and a defensive-minded one at that) offered KS Jimmy G at below market value.

He knew KS was the best offensive mind in the NFL and wanted to make sure Jimmy G had every chance of success so that Kraft would feel it for having forced his hand.

I hate break it to you guys but the main reason Mostert had an historic game was the 49ers OL was dominant. The pre snap motion is nice but at the end of the day the running plays he is running are not new. You put Mostert behind the Bears OL and run the exact same plays and he is getting nowhere near those results.

I hate break it to you guys but the main reason Mostert had an historic game was the 49ers OL was dominant. The pre snap motion is nice but at the end of the day the running plays he is running are not new. You put Mostert behind the Bears OL and run the exact same plays and he is getting nowhere near those results.
It’s a combination of both. Of course, the 49ers OL is better than the Bears OL and will result in more rushing yards even if Mr. Rodgers was the OC. The 49er O is also enhanced further by Shanahan and staff knowing how to best utilize the talent. How much better is the 49er skill position players than the Bears? I would say other than George Kittle they aren’t. Pace fired the OL coach and the OC. I think that would suggest it is more than just the players that caused the Bears O to look like CaCa. Teams have Coordinators and position Coaches for a reason. I don’t expect them to make velvet out of pigskin, but please have something to bring to the table that isn’t tired and predictable.

Reactions: IGNORE2
It’s a combination of both. Of course, the 49ers OL is better than the Bears OL and will result in more rushing yards even if Mr. Rodgers was the OC. The 49er O is also enhanced further by Shanahan and staff knowing how to best utilize the talent. How much better is the 49er skill position players than the Bears? I would say other than George Kittle they aren’t. Pace fired the OL coach and the OC. I think that would suggest it is more than just the players that caused the Bears O to look like CaCa. Teams have Coordinators and position Coaches for a reason. I don’t expect them to make velvet out of pigskin, but please have something to bring to the table that isn’t tired and predictable.

The 49ers OL was not just better than the Bears OL, they were dominant in that game. The 49ers DL was also dominant. That's why they won despite what I also believe is a pedestrian group of skill position players. You get no argument from me that coaching matters. Where I think we disagree is to what degree. I think it's about 70% the players and 30% coaching but I also think it matters which players. As you correctly pointed out, the 49ers skill position players are average at best and I include Jimmy G in that statement. The 49ers players are great this year where it counts most, on the line of scrimmage. Like Fitz, I believe games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage. Give me two dominant lines and I can cover up for a lot of mediocrity elsewhere on the field and on the coaching staff. The reverse statement is usually not true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat
No, but if the OC is terrible and calling plays that don't make use of your skills, it could be rather limiting. He looked like a totally different player in his limited action at Clemson. The Tiger fans were calling for him to supplant Kelly Bryant.

The good news is that we get a chance to find out with a new OC that supposedly is all about adjusting his offense to fit the skills of his players.
He had an OL at Clemson that he did not have here last year. He also had Running Game and WRs and TEs that he did not have here

Well i wouldnt call the TE in that group “pedestrian”. He may be the best TE in the NFL

Well i wouldnt call the TE in that group “pedestrian”. He may be the best TE in the NFL

As a group they are average. Kittle is very good but he is far from the best TE in the NFL. He is a particularly good blocker for his size which only reinforces the argument I was trying to make about the line of scrimmage.

Don't discount the hard work and determination Mostert has shown. Yes, the Niner's OL is strong, but Mostert is no longer the no-name RB he once was.

KS reminds me of Bill Walsh in his ability to see athletic talent that most others can't see. Mostert has stated that much of his success is because of KS' belief in him. Can't quite recall the guy's name right now, but he was buried as a back up in Atlanta, but in SF he's one of 3 RB starters that has also had surprising success. The third SF RB, Breida, who runs like a deer, can hardly get on the field any more. All three were lightly regarded everywhere else.

Take the Niners by 7 in the SB.

Hi tweedle dum. Travis Kelce and Zach Ertz say hello.
Most would agree that Ertz, Kelce and Kittle are the top 3 TEs in the NFL. There would be differing opinions as to which is the best. Had you said, “In my opinion, Kittle is not the best TE in the NFL” then all of us tweedle dees and tweedle dums might take you seriously. Saying Kittle is far from the best TE in the NFL is indeed insane as chicagocatfan24 said.

KS reminds me of Bill Walsh in his ability to see athletic talent that most others can't see. Mostert has stated that much of his success is because of KS' belief in him. Can't quite recall the guy's name right now, but he was buried as a back up in Atlanta, but in SF he's one of 3 RB starters that has also had surprising success. The third SF RB, Breida, who runs like a deer, can hardly get on the field any more. All three were lightly regarded everywhere else.

Good post.
Tevin Coleman from Indiana is the guy you’re thinking of — not coincidentally, he was the wildly productive ‘lightning’ to Devonta Freeman’s thunder when Shanahan took ATL to the super bowl. Taylor Gabriel was an undersized big play machine with Shanahan, and now he’s just small with the Bears.

I grew up in Chicago but have now been in ATL a decade, and I’ve never had more fun watching football than the final two months plus playoffs plus the first half of the super bowl for that falcons team. They were just outrageous.

Last edited:
Most would agree that Ertz, Kelce and Kittle are the top 3 TEs in the NFL. There would be differing opinions as to which is the best. Had you said, “In my opinion, Kittle is not the best TE in the NFL” then all of us tweedle dees and tweedle dums might take you seriously. Saying Kittle is far from the best TE in the NFL is indeed insane as chicagocatfan24 said.

Don't bother. He knows everything about everything. No such thing as opinion with him, he just speaks in 100% fact and never embellishes.

Kelce sure. Kittle has had about 400 more yards than Ertz the last two years and is only getting better. Saying he's "far" from the best tight end in the league is asinine

Far from the best TE in that the gap between him and a top guy like Kelce is significant. Again, I don’t rely solely on stats to determine my opinion of a player’s worth. Kittle is undoubtedly very good but there are several TEs that in my opinion are just as talented. Guys like Mark Andrews, OJ Howard, Darren Waller, Hunter Henry, and TJ Hockenson.

Don't discount the hard work and determination Mostert has shown. Yes, the Niner's OL is strong, but Mostert is no longer the no-name RB he once was.

Agreed, Mostert is much better than a guy that was cut by seven different NFL teams. He belongs on the field as an NFL RB. That being said, you put him on a team with an average or below average OL and I think his production goes down significantly. I am not convinced he would have been a more productive back than David Montgomery was this past year had he been on the Bears. I like David Montgomery.

Don't bother. He knows everything about everything. No such thing as opinion with him, he just speaks in 100% fact and never embellishes.

LOL, It’s called a difference of opinion. Who TF do you think you are to think that I am supposed to change my opinion just because you say so? You keep your opinion and I’ll keep mine. Have a nice day!

LOL, It’s called a difference of opinion. Who TF do you think you are to think that I am supposed to change my opinion just because you say so? You keep your opinion and I’ll keep mine. Have a nice day!
Corbi it’s because you think your opinion is fact. Saying Kittle is not an elite or one of the best TE’s in football just shows that you either don’t watch football or just are looking to rattle cages.

"Kittle is very good but he is far from the best TE in the NFL." - that is copy and pasted from your post. This is a statement of fact, not an opinion like you later said. You're playing both sides of the fence, per usual.

You don't realize how often you do this and when people rebut you, you get all defensive and resort to name calling. It annoys a lot of people who post here.

Austin Hooper was playing his way into that conversation when he got hurt, but that’s probably the top group right there. Hunter Henry if/when he’s ever healthy.

Corbi has his own code language at times. Decoded effectively IMO by eliminating the hyperbole and sometimes perjorative to a less passionate/extreme level of discussion.

When you do that, as I do, I think you get the essence of what Corbi is saying more often than not. FWIW I frequently appreciate the core message of his contributions to the Board.

GOUNUII

Corbi has his own code language at times. Decoded effectively IMO by eliminating the hyperbole and sometimes perjorative to a less passionate/extreme level of discussion.

When you do that, as I do, I think you get the essence of what Corbi is saying more often than not. FWIW I frequently appreciate the core message of his contributions to the Board.

GOUNUII
We can agree to disagree. He truly thinks he’s an expert on everything and completely talks down to anyone who disagrees with him or calls him out for some of his ridiculous predictions or positions. He has driven several people from this board with his arrogance which is a shame.

Good post.
Tevin Coleman from Indiana is the guy you’re thinking of — not coincidentally, he was the wildly productive ‘lightning’ to Devonta Freeman’s thunder when Shanahan took ATL to the super bowl. Taylor Gabriel was an undersized big play machine with Shanahan, and now he’s just small with the Bears.

I grew up in Chicago but have now been in ATL a decade, and I’ve never had more fun watching football than the final two months plus playoffs plus the first half of the super bowl for that falcons team. They were just outrageous.

Tx. Didn't want to leave the board to look it up. Indiana! WHOA! After watching him in SF, it's surprising ATL would let him go. Apparently suffered a separated shoulder last game. He was in so much pain he couldn't walk off the field and it took several minutes for the game managers to figure out how badly he was injured. Seems he might be ready for the SB, though.

GOUNUII

So you agree that we have to unravel a bunch of overzealous embellishment and hyperbole when reading a Corbi post.

10/4

Austin Hooper was playing his way into that conversation when he got hurt, but that’s probably the top group right there. Hunter Henry if/when he’s ever healthy.
So you agree that we have to unravel a bunch of overzealous embellishment and hyperbole when reading a Corbi post.

10/4

Not always. But yes. When he pulls out his pitchfork and goes on a roll that’s the essence of what I do.

GOUNUII

Tx. Didn't want to leave the board to look it up. Indiana! WHOA! After watching him in SF, it's surprising ATL would let him go. Apparently suffered a separated shoulder last game. He was in so much pain he couldn't walk off the field and it took several minutes for the game managers to figure out how badly he was injured. Seems he might be ready for the SB, though.

Coleman also suffers from sickle cell disease which limits his play, particularly at altitude. Perhaps that was a consideration in letting him go.

Nobody who has watched Hooper play for any meaningful time has him anywhere near the elite level.

You are under-estimating the scheme/play-calling.

The zone-blocking along w/ pre-snap motion using 3 possible runners plays a big role in the success of the 49ers run game - the 2 leading rushers (Coleman is 3rd) both being UDFAs.

Joe Staley, the best O-lineman on the 49ers and the starting LT missed 9 regular season games due to injury.

Their starting RT, Mike McGlinchey also missed 4 games due to injury - so for a 4 game stretch during the 49ers win streak to start the season, they were missing both starting tackles.

Their starting C, Weston Richburg, suffered a season-ending injury in wk 14 and was replaced by Ben Garland, a career journeyman.

Also missing the last 2 games of the regular season was Mike Person, the starting RG.

So, the only starting 49ers O-lineman to play all 16 regular season games was Laken Tomlinson, their LG.

When 4 out of 5 starting O-lineman have missed games (including 6 games where the 49ers didn't have 2 starters) and having a RB by committee (2 being UDFAs) and still having one of the best run games in the NFL - that says a lot about the scheme, play-calling and coaching.

Kittle (who is one of the top 3 TEs in the NFL) relayed a story about how Shanahan told him that he would score an 80 yd TD when they called a certain play as long as he didn't trip over his own feet; and sure enough, on that play, Kittle ended up scoring an 85 yd TD.

Not necessarily. Campbell thinks he is a great guy who cares about his student athletes and can contribute as a position coach which is what most of us think. He isn’t asking him to be OC which is really the major shortcoming that ended his tenure here. As a QB coach McCall has put more QBs in the NFL than most other B1G teams.

However, the last 2 years our O has gone to the bottom of the barrel and our QBs behind Thorson have been completely underdeveloped. I’m not sure what else Fitz could do; any other head coach would’ve fired him 1-2 years ago or fired all the assistants if he didn’t think McCall was the problem.

Isn’t McCall taking the job that Ayeni had before he left ISU?

There was also a dry period btwn Siemian and Thorson, and wouldn't give McCall too much credit for the NU QBs who have made it to the NFL.

Last edited:
You are under-estimating the scheme/play-calling.

The zone-blocking along w/ pre-snap motion using 3 possible runners plays a big role in the success of the 49ers run game - the 2 leading rushers (Coleman is 3rd) both being UDFAs.

Joe Staley, the best O-lineman on the 49ers and the starting LT missed 9 regular season games due to injury.

Their starting RT, Mike McGlinchey also missed 4 games due to injury - so for a 4 game stretch during the 49ers win streak to start the season, they were missing both starting tackles.

Their starting C, Weston Richburg, suffered a season-ending injury in wk 14 and was replaced by Ben Garland, a career journeyman.

Also missing the last 2 games of the regular season was Mike Person, the starting RG.

So, the only starting 49ers O-lineman to play all 16 regular season games was Laken Tomlinson, their LG.

When 4 out of 5 starting O-lineman have missed games (including 6 games where the 49ers didn't have 2 starters) and having a RB by committee (2 being UDFAs) and still having one of the best run games in the NFL - that says a lot about the scheme, play-calling and coaching.

Kittle (who is one of the top 3 TEs in the NFL) relayed a story about how Shanahan told him that he would score an 80 yd TD when they called a certain play as long as he didn't trip over his own feet; and sure enough, on that play, Kittle ended up scoring an 85 yd TD.

There was also a dry period btwn Siemian and Thorson, and wouldn't give McCall too much credit for the NU QBs who have made it to the NFL.

The dumbest thing McCall ever did was make a WR take snaps and sit a future NFL QB on the bench. Of course Corbi thinks it was brilliant which tells us exactly what we need to know about that decision.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Not that PFF is the end-all, be-all...

Kittle now has the highest Pro Football Focus grade over a single season for any tight end in the PFF era (since 2006).

George Kittle finished the season with an overall grade of 95.0. #49ers

That is the highest single-season grade in the @PFF Era. He smashed the record set by Rob Gronkowski of 92.0 in 2011. #elite pic.twitter.com/SNd7k6oZox

— PFF SF 49ers (@PFF_49ers) December 30, 2019

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Not that PFF is the end-all, be-all...

Kittle now has the highest Pro Football Focus grade over a single season for any tight end in the PFF era (since 2006).

George Kittle finished the season with an overall grade of 95.0. #49ers

That is the highest single-season grade in the @PFF Era. He smashed the record set by Rob Gronkowski of 92.0 in 2011. #elite pic.twitter.com/SNd7k6oZox

— PFF SF 49ers (@PFF_49ers) December 30, 2019

I guess he's far from the best tight end in the league...unless you're using actual data to quantify the measurement. ;)

Reactions: SiameseCat
ADVERTISEMENT