ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth BB team voting to unionize

The Ivy League does not award athletic scholarships (official compensation for playing), so as I see it, these players are all volunteers, not employees. Can volunteers unionize?

The Ivy League does not award athletic scholarships (official compensation for playing), so as I see it, these players are all volunteers, not employees. Can volunteers unionize?
Sure. As kids, my sister and I were indentured servants. We attempted to unionize and strike all the time…let’s say we needed better representation…

I think this is the beginning of a movement that will save the NCAA. The only reason pro sports can put in rules like a salary cap and a draft and other things that promote competitive balance is the players associations/unions. Obviously, there could never be a draft at this level, but roster limits, transfer restrictions, pay-for-play regulations and the like will, thanks to the direction of recent court rulings, have to be negotiated. The old model of the NCAA making the rules and everyone being obligated to follow them is gone, and it's not coming back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT