ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive pressure

ChappyCat

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2015
Michigan
I am interested to see the defensive blitz packages and schemes this year. With new D-linemen and a new group of LBs that are more tackling field rovers than speed men (comparatively speaking, and trust me I would rather have the former), what will the blitz package be like and how soon? Obviously Warren Long and at times Nate Hall and Brett Walsh would be the choices and mixing in some nickel/slot corner blitzes... I trust in Hank but as a former defensive coordinator I would be curious to see how that might work. Perhaps more of the same line twists too, especially with Gonzo (Gaziano) and perhaps even Carnifax

I am interested to see the defensive blitz packages and schemes this year. With new D-linemen and a new group of LBs that are more tackling field rovers than speed men (comparatively speaking, and trust me I would rather have the former), what will the blitz package be like and how soon? Obviously Warren Long and at times Nate Hall and Brett Walsh would be the choices and mixing in some nickel/slot corner blitzes... I trust in Hank but as a former defensive coordinator I would be curious to see how that might work. Perhaps more of the same line twists too, especially with Gonzo (Gaziano) and perhaps even Carnifax

Hank will be able to get more creative with his front seven because he can trust the secondary pretty much implicitly. There's a reason he's sometimes referred to as a "mad scientist;" it's going to be very hard to guess NU's blitz package week-to-week and basically impossible to guess at this juncture.

Do not be surprised to see Mark Gooden make a major contribution. He's very athletic and made a major mark in the Spring. He entered NU at the same size as Dwight Freeney did at Syracuse, and is arguably even more athletic. Keep an eye on him.

Reactions: julescat
Do not be surprised to see Mark Gooden make a major contribution. He's very athletic and made a major mark in the Spring. He entered NU at the same size as Dwight Freeney did at Syracuse, and is arguably even more athletic. Keep an eye on him.

I like how you think. The kid is just a natural pass rusher and I am anxious to see what he can do with improved size and strength.

I know Fitz has mentioned his name a few times going back to last fall- I agree under the radar and could be a player this year

Only talking about the DL and LB groups, it will be interesting to see how Fitz's recent stellar recruiting classes shape up in terms of the "core" group of relatively known performers, and "newcomers" who could be breakout players this year. Core players:

DT: Thompson, Lancaster, Wyatt - JT and Lanny both should be All-B1G this year
DE: Gaziano, A. Miller, Goens - Losing X-Wash hurts
LB: Fox, Hall, Walsh - all three are battle-tested and solid B1G linebackers

Now the fun part. If we exclude true frosh, then the breakout players could be the following:

DT: Jake Saunders 6-3 296 RS FR
DE: Tommy Carnifax 6-4 253 So
DE: Mark Gooden 6-2 230 RS FR (hopefully he put on more size)
LB: Paddy Fisher 6-3 235 RS FR - created buzz in Spring practice
LB: Jango Glackin 6-2 219 RS FR (should top 220 by fall)
LB: Warren Long 6-0 210 Sr - what a story if he plays well

True frosh like Earnest Brown, Trevor Kent, Sam Miller will be candidates to earn immediate playing time, too.

Only talking about the DL and LB groups, it will be interesting to see how Fitz's recent stellar recruiting classes shape up in terms of the "core" group of relatively known performers, and "newcomers" who could be breakout players this year. Core players:

DT: Thompson, Lancaster, Wyatt - JT and Lanny both should be All-B1G this year
DE: Gaziano, A. Miller, Goens - Losing X-Wash hurts
LB: Fox, Hall, Walsh - all three are battle-tested and solid B1G linebackers

Now the fun part. If we exclude true frosh, then the breakout players could be the following:

DT: Jake Saunders 6-3 296 RS FR
DE: Tommy Carnifax 6-4 253 So
DE: Mark Gooden 6-2 230 RS FR (hopefully he put on more size)
LB: Paddy Fisher 6-3 235 RS FR - created buzz in Spring practice
LB: Jango Glackin 6-2 219 RS FR (should top 220 by fall)
LB: Warren Long 6-0 210 Sr - what a story if he plays well

True frosh like Earnest Brown, Trevor Kent, Sam Miller will be candidates to earn immediate playing time, too.
Jango today after his workout. Would be over 225 before workout
qx32it.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT