ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders about college sports and NIL

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
As a coach he runs a "yes sir, no sir" team, has boosted academic results according news articles I have read, and now about the NIL he says -

"When you start paying athletes like they're professionals, you get athletes acting like they're professionals," Sanders said.

"And you don't have staffs large enough and equipped enough to handle a young man with money. Let me go deeper, a young man that's making more money than some of the coaches on staff."

As a coach he runs a "yes sir, no sir" team, has boosted academic results according news articles I have read, and now about the NIL he says -

"When you start paying athletes like they're professionals, you get athletes acting like they're professionals," Sanders said.

"And you don't have staffs large enough and equipped enough to handle a young man with money. Let me go deeper, a young man that's making more money than some of the coaches on staff."

Love Deion or hate him, you’d be a fool not to listen to him in this topic in particular

Reactions: mountaindrew
Love Deion or hate him, you’d be a fool not to listen to him in this topic in particular
But what’s the alternative? Go back to exploitation of student athletes? Truth is, this won’t be resolved until the pros make viable minor leagues.

But what’s the alternative? Go back to exploitation of student athletes? Truth is, this won’t be resolved until the pros make viable minor leagues.
Some, like me, would not agree that a free education at one of the top schools in the country equates to the exploitation of student athletes. Apparently, a number of the visitors from this past weekend are inclined to agree. :)

Some, like me, would not agree that a free education at one of the top schools in the country equates to the exploitation of student athletes. Apparently, a number of the visitors from this past weekend are inclined to agree. :)
When football and basketball generate $55M+ per year for NU, a “free education” becomes a quaint form of compensation. At least I have a union clawing back some of the outsized profit I generate through my work product; who do these kids have? And what’s their benefit? “Hey you get laid, get some fun experience and it’ll help you when you want to go pro!”

That might have flown when you (or even I) were in school, but at $5.748 million, Pat Fitzgerald earns more in a single season than the entire tuition cost for his 85-man roster. Love ya, No Chores, but the kids are getting the 💩 end of the deal.

I am extremely supportive of players getting their piece of the pie and have been for a long time, so no need to bark up that tree. On NFL minor leagues, don't hold your breath.

When football and basketball generate $55M+ per year for NU, a “free education” becomes a quaint form of compensation. At least I have a union clawing back some of the outsized profit I generate through my work product; who do these kids have? And what’s their benefit? “Hey you get laid, get some fun experience and it’ll help you when you want to go pro!”

That might have flown when you (or even I) were in school, but at $5.748 million, Pat Fitzgerald earns more in a single season than the entire tuition cost for his 85-man roster. Love ya, No Chores, but the kids are getting the 💩 end of the deal.
As you know quite well, almost none of the kids on our roster are going pro, but virtually all of them will leave school with an NU degree. They do this while playing a game they truly love. These young people are not slaves - they enjoy the competition. What this has to do with Fitz's salary or your union dues is beyond me. I would be very happy to play a sport I loved in exchange for an education worth at least $400,000, and sometimes more. I really don't think that any of this weekend's visitors who just committed would agree with you, but ,like everyone else, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't share it, and neither does Coach Sanders.

As you know quite well, almost none of the kids on our roster are going pro, but virtually all of them will leave school with an NU degree. They do this while playing a game they truly love. These young people are not slaves - they enjoy the competition. What this has to do with Fitz's salary or your union dues is beyond me. I would be very happy to play a sport I loved in exchange for an education worth at least $400,000, and sometimes more. I really don't think that any of this weekend's visitors who just committed would agree with you, but ,like everyone else, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't share it, and neither does Coach Sanders.
That’s a lovely emotional argument that tugs on heartstrings and harkens back to a time when guys pinned their best girls and everyone played valiantly for dear old alma mater. But NU takes home $55M+ per season from its revenue sports (and potentially climbing). That means each scholarship athlete is bringing in 5x their expenses. And that’s just at NU - the ROI on fb/bb scholarship athletes is higher at other B1G schools because tuition costs are lower. Meanwhile the Coaches/CEOs of the programs are making millions. If you can’t see how college sports is a big business where the “wages” are deliberately suppressed and athletes don’t have a viable alternative but to be exploited by the system, well… I guess it doesn’t matter. Change is coming regardless.

Reactions: JT2311
I am extremely supportive of players getting their piece of the pie and have been for a long time, so no need to bark up that tree. On NFL minor leagues, don't hold your breath.
Agreed. It won’t happen. But that’s one more argument for why the NCAA is headed for an iceberg. You can only be the NFLs not-for-profit minor league for so long.

That’s a lovely emotional argument that tugs on heartstrings and harkens back to a time when guys pinned their best girls and everyone played valiantly for dear old alma mater. But NU takes home $55M+ per season from its revenue sports (and potentially climbing). That means each scholarship athlete is bringing in 5x their expenses. And that’s just at NU - the ROI on fb/bb scholarship athletes is higher at other B1G schools because tuition costs are lower. Meanwhile the Coaches/CEOs of the programs are making millions. If you can’t see how college sports is a big business where the “wages” are deliberately suppressed and athletes don’t have a viable alternative but to be exploited by the system, well… I guess it doesn’t matter. Change is coming regardless.
Mine is not an emotional argument, it's a factual argument. Yours is the "union mentality argument", which is just nonsense. Sorry, but I have no use for this kind of b.s.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Agreed. It won’t happen. But that’s one more argument for why the NCAA is headed for an iceberg. You can only be the NFLs not-for-profit minor league for so long.
It’s interesting, because it is almost entirely the name on the front of the jersey, not the back, that drives interest.

If the NFL did its own player development, say, taking the top 500 recruits and signing them to pro contracts, the Texas Longhorns would still sell out while the Round Rock Antelopes would play to crowds a fraction of the size, even with superior talent.

We’re seeing the same (to a lesser extent) in college hoops, where the best talent is now in the G-League, but it sure seems like interest in the tourney has remained.

All this is to say — the specific players generally don’t drive the value; it’s their association with the school that does. However, there is no acceptable way where a $55 million dollar business can be built on free labor, plus travel expenses and interest payments (?) on an NFL-level practice facility.

Reactions: corbi296
While that may be at NU, most of the "student athletes" are not at NU and not getting $300-400K educations

The NCAA, when it comes to football, hit the iceberg like ten years ago and just finally noticed that the water is pouring over the deck and the hull is about to crack in half. The conferences are the captain now.

Yeah, that’s two different famous ship event references, so sue me!

Reactions: mountaindrew
While that may be at NU, most of the "student athletes" are not at NU and not getting $300-400K educations
Exactly, which is why NU landed some terrific recruits before during and after this weekend's official visits. Sure these guys could go to lots of other schools that are not as expensive, but they chose the 'Cats, in part, because they are virtually assured of getting an NU degree, and they all know the importance of life after football.

Reactions: corbi296

Of course, scholarship athletes are exploited! But you get a chance to exploit them for a good education. And it's fun to kick some egghead premed butt in the classroom as well. And then on fall Saturdays you enter another world and get to play a sport you love to a fantasyland crowd. Don't do this if you don't like football. If you do, then the only issue you have is that it consumes time but it's very doable with time management and a few all-nighters...so one can crack some eggs on the midterms.

I don't like the NIL because it's a distraction from thoroughly exploiting one's educational opportunity at school. It blows up what remains of amateurism in college sports and the schrapnel wounds fester into fan attitudes like "Bergen is a doormat and he sucks".

A large chunk, if not all of this NIL money should be put into accounts they can tap into when they graduate or leave. That might attenuate some of the negative attitudes Deion is talking about.

Meanwhile the Coaches/CEOs of the programs are making millions. If you can’t see how college sports is a big business where the “wages” are deliberately suppressed and athletes don’t have a viable alternative but to be exploited by the system, well… I guess it doesn’t matter. Change is coming regardless.
Should the athletes in the non-revenue sports (like... all the women) be paid equivalent wages, even if their sports don't pay for themselves? If not, are they being exploited, or should the sports be dropped altogether since they're a net drain on the coffers?

And that NU education over a lifetime will likely be worth a lot more than what most of these players will earn while in college or unless they have a long career in the pros. tOSU, not so much.

Reactions: No Chores
As a former NU cat I feel NIL will destroy college athletics a we know it. These kids beg for college schlorarships and then demand payment . Nobody is twisting their arms. If they don't want to play they should choose some other option. My choice was to get out of a steel town and move on to a better way of life. Nothwestern provided me that oppurtunity. I am grateful for that. Even though my injuries prevented me from playing pro ball. I would do it again in a heart beat. Without pay!

As a former NU cat I feel NIL will destroy college athletics a we know it. These kids beg for college schlorarships and then demand payment . Nobody is twisting their arms. If they don't want to play they should choose some other option. My choice was to get out of a steel town and move on to a better way of life. Nothwestern provided me that oppurtunity. I am grateful for that. Even though my injuries prevented me from playing pro ball. I would do it again in a heart beat. Without pay!
Very interesting Jack. Wonder why the union activists and play for pay guys aren't attacking you? Maybe it's because you were a first team All American whose name appears on the stadium wall. ;)

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I heard some talk show host talk about how he went to IU on scholarship for violin playing, and he was able to still work, and was encouraged to do so. His point is that college athletes should be treated like everyone else in that regard. It is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. His scholarship as a violinist wasn't based on IU competing against other universities for spectators to enjoy.

How long until every player on Texas A&M gets more money than the NFL league minimum?

The kind of money generated in college football is beyond the value of the players alone. It is wrapped up in school and state pride. Schools and donors of the NIL contracts are going to be in a bidding war for players, and the numbers are going to exceed their actual value. In the process, college football will be ruined.

It’s interesting, because it is almost entirely the name on the front of the jersey, not the back, that drives interest.

If the NFL did its own player development, say, taking the top 500 recruits and signing them to pro contracts, the Texas Longhorns would still sell out while the Round Rock Antelopes would play to crowds a fraction of the size, even with superior talent.

We’re seeing the same (to a lesser extent) in college hoops, where the best talent is now in the G-League, but it sure seems like interest in the tourney has remained.

All this is to say — the specific players generally don’t drive the value; it’s their association with the school that does. However, there is no acceptable way where a $55 million dollar business can be built on free labor, plus travel expenses and interest payments (?) on an NFL-level practice facility.
I think you make some very good points here. The interest in big time college athletics definitely transcends the talents of the individual players. That can be best seen in basketball where the G League and playing internationally has given talented HS Bball players an Avenue to further develop their game and pursue their NBA dreams without being forced to go to college when they have no interest in being student athletes. I don’t see any decline in popularity for college basketball and sudden spike in popularity for G League games. The reality is that college athletics have tremendous fan support not only because of the quality of the play but also because fans feel a strong affiliation to the universities they cheer for. That affiliation and fan support will remain even if the caliber of the players declines across the sport. This reality has to be factored in when thinking about how much the players deserve to share in the profits generated from college athletics.

I was and continue to be very proud of what Kain Colter did to advocate for better treatment of college players. I think players should have 4 year guaranteed scholarships. I think players should have medical insurance coverage for life to cover medical issues that stem from playing college football. I think players should get healthy monthly stipends so that they have enough pocket money to go out for a meal, do their laundry, put gas in their car and get their girlfriend a gift. I also think it would be fair if there was money set aside for players to give them another source of income for their retirement. That’s what I envisioned when this effort to get better treatment for players first started. What we have now is chaos that goes far beyond what I envisioned and does run the risk of killing college athletics as we know it. I hope some sanity can be restored to the system before it is too late.

I heard some talk show host talk about how he went to IU on scholarship for violin playing, and he was able to still work, and was encouraged to do so. His point is that college athletes should be treated like everyone else in that regard. It is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. His scholarship as a violinist wasn't based on IU competing against other universities for spectators to enjoy.
This is the strangest argument I’ve ever seen.

What about “competing against other universities for spectators to enjoy” is part of a university’s mission?

It makes no sense for athletics to be a part of a university, and you acknowledge directly that the only reason it exists is “for spectators to enjoy” — which is to say, to sell tickets and generate television revenue. If the purpose is to sell tickets, how can you possibly suggest that those athletes not be paid?

Reactions: KappaKat
I think you make some very good points here. The interest in big time college athletics definitely transcends the talents of the individual players. That can be best seen in basketball where the G League and playing internationally has given talented HS Bball players an Avenue to further develop their game and pursue their NBA dreams without being forced to go to college when they have no interest in being student athletes. I don’t see any decline in popularity for college basketball and sudden spike in popularity for G League games. The reality is that college athletics have tremendous fan support not only because of the quality of the play but also because fans feel a strong affiliation to the universities they cheer for. That affiliation and fan support will remain even if the caliber of the players declines across the sport. This reality has to be factored in when thinking about how much the players deserve to share in the profits generated from college athletics.

I was and continue to be very proud of what Kain Colter did to advocate for better treatment of college players. I think players should have 4 year guaranteed scholarships. I think players should have medical insurance coverage for life to cover medical issues that stem from playing college football. I think players should get healthy monthly stipends so that they have enough pocket money to go out for a meal, do their laundry, put gas in their car and get their girlfriend a gift. I also think it would be fair if there was money set aside for players to give them another source of income for their retirement. That’s what I envisioned when this effort to get better treatment for players first started. What we have now is chaos that goes far beyond what I envisioned and does run the risk of killing college athletics as we know it. I hope some sanity can be restored to the system before it is too late.
Maybe the XFL should be the option for those who want to be paid instead of ghetting a college degree.

That’s a lovely emotional argument that tugs on heartstrings and harkens back to a time when guys pinned their best girls and everyone played valiantly for dear old alma mater. .
I hate cynacism. Hate it. I'm reminded of that great quote from Miracle on 34th Street, “Someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.“

Reactions: kawacko
AI hate cynacism. Hate it. I'm reminded of that great quote from Miracle on 34th Street, “Someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.“
I shared this on the Rock in response to corbi but saw you’re not a Premium Cat. Figured it also works here:

damn-you-are-so-cynical-neil-degrasse-tyson.gif

I hate cynacism. Hate it. I'm reminded of that great quote from Miracle on 34th Street, “Someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.“
I wasn’t being cynical. I was pointing out that simply saying P5 revenue athletes should be happy with the old way of doing things because “they love to compete” and “get to play the game they love for four more years” and “get a free education” might have rung true in the ‘50s and ‘60s, but has little merit when the university makes $1.2 million off each kid over 4 years.

Very interesting Jack. Wonder why the union activists and play for pay guys aren't attacking you? Maybe it's because you were a first team All American whose name appears on the stadium wall. ;)

I'm more impressed by his knowledge of math and physics. A classic NU football player.

"free education" is like saying "free healthcare". It's not free. they work their a$$3s off for the "free" education, and their efforts generate billions.

As much as I will miss the traditional student-athlete model, I am glad that the genie is out of the bottle and cannot/will not be put back in.

Speaking of genies: guy finds a lamp on the beach, rubs it and out pops a genie. Genie: "what is your first wish?" Guy: " I want to be rich". Genie: "ok, Rich, what's your second wish?" Rich: "I want a lot of money"

Reactions: KappaKat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT