ADVERTISEMENT

Delta Variant and Big Ten Football this season?

Titanium999

Jan 16, 2014
Seems like the VT will mandate vaccination which may not stop the spread of the Delta Variant. A mess again this year?

Don't blame me. I'm as selfish as the next guy, but I got vaccinated.

Taking the vaccine is selfish but also reduces spread to others. It's what a cohesive society does. Not getting the vaccine does neither.

Two hundred and twenty-seven more COVID deaths today, most were needless. It's sad to hear of people on their deathbed with regrets about not getting vaccinated.

Well that won't be a problem for NU this time around, since back in May the University mandated that all students coming to campus in 2021 will need to be vaccinated!
I hear ya! But it seems even the vaccinated are getting Covid-19. Go figure. I don't have any answers. Only what I read on the internet

I hear ya! But it seems even the vaccinated are getting Covid-19. Go figure. I don't have any answers. Only what I read on the internet
Stop with this. Of course some vaccinated people are still getting covid. No vaccine is ever 100% effective. But the chances of you getting Covid are extremely small. The chances of you passing it along are small. And, as NoChores pointed out, the chances of you getting really sick are so tiny that its not even worth worrying about unless you have some existing heath complications that reduces the chances that you built up a strong immune response to the vaccine.

Anyone who has not gotten the vaccine yet are hurting themselves and those they love around them. People have been getting this shot now for a year. Over 160 million people in this country alone have gotten the shots. They are safe and effective.

I just read on nbcchicago.com that about 150 or so, fully vaccinated people died last week in Illinois with over 500 fully vaccinated people hospitalized. I'm no scientist, but it may be we don't have a great deal of success stopping completely the spread of Covid-19, just like we can't stop the flu. Why? They both likely keep mutating. Which means, less fans,and possibly cancelation of games. Plus, more crisis mode likely in late fall,early winter 🙃

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1
I just read on nbcchicago.com that about 150 or so, fully vaccinated people died last week in Illinois with over 500 fully vaccinated people hospitalized. I'm no scientist, but it may be we don't have a great deal of success stopping completely the spread of Covid-19, just like we can't stop the flu. Why? They both likely keep mutating. Which means, less fans,and possibly cancelation of games. Plus, more crisis mode likely in late fall,early winter 🙃

Those figures are YTD, not a weekly total.

Breakthrough cases happen at a MUCH lower rate than those among the unvaccinated, and the cases that do get through are generally a lot milder. Of 18,000 Covid deaths in May, 99.2 percent were unvaccinated.

Taking the vaccine is selfish but also reduces spread to others. It's what a cohesive society does. Not getting the vaccine does neither.

Two hundred and twenty-seven more COVID deaths today, most were needless. It's sad to hear of people on their deathbed with regrets about not getting vaccinated.
Back from the South and in the Big Ten footprint now, and my wife tested positive this morning.

She spent last week on the lake with her dad and stepmom and sister and lots of kids. Stepmom’s son isn’t vaccinated and, while he wasn’t there, he left his daughter there. Nobody bothered to tell anybody that he’d been feeling sick, and works in a medical office, and is unvaccinated.

People are asses. But they’re free.

#notarant

Back from the South and in the Big Ten footprint now, and my wife tested positive this morning.

She spent last week on the lake with her dad and stepmom and sister and lots of kids. Stepmom’s son isn’t vaccinated and, while he wasn’t there, he left his daughter there. Nobody bothered to tell anybody that he’d been feeling sick, and works in a medical office, and is unvaccinated.

#notarant

Just to confirm, your wife was vaccinated so this is a break through infection? How is she doing, what are her symptoms if any?

Just to confirm, your wife was vaccinated so this is a break through infection? How is she doing, what are her symptoms if any?
This is breakthrough.
She had it terrible about five months ago.
Right now, this seems annoying not awful.

That is NOT what the article says. The 159 deaths are since they were vaccinated. Only 8 fully vaccinated people have died and 30 have been hospitalized in the past week.

2.3% of deaths since January 1 have been fully vaccinated people. Considering almost 60% of adults in Illinois are fully vaccinated now, this suggests these vaccines have provided roughly 26X more protection from death than going unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.

This delta-form has an efficient spike protein and is a much more contagious, faster-replicating virus now such that vaccinated people can become infected and become infectious very quickly. Hence the need for vaccinated people to wear masks in crowded indoor environments so as not to catch and spread the virus to vulnerable people as asymptomatic carriers.

Get vaccinated and all the disease and death, and economic hardship will drop quickly! Lower the spread rate by getting vaccinated and being diligent with masking! Don't go into crowded bars and such. Stop the effing ignorance that is killing people needlessly.

Last edited:

That is NOT what the article says. The 159 deaths are since they were vaccinated. Only 8 fully vaccinated people have died and 30 have been hospitalized in the past week.

2.3% of deaths since January 1 have been fully vaccinated people. Considering almost 60% of adults in Illinois are fully vaccinated now, this suggests these vaccines have provided roughly 26X more protection from death than going unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.

This delta-form has an efficient spike protein and is a much more contagious, faster-replicating virus now such that vaccinated people can become infected and become infectious very quickly. Hence the need for vaccinated people to wear masks in crowded indoor environments so as not to catch and spread the virus to vulnerable people as asymptomatic carriers.

Get vaccinated and all the disease and death, and economic hardship will drop quickly! Lower the spread rate by getting vaccinated and being diligent with masking! Don't go into crowded bars and such. Stop the effing ignorance that is killing people needlessly.

Some people just don't give a damn

#notarant
Praying for speedy recovery

The CDC muffed up in removing the mask mandate for the vaccinated earlier in the year (thought it was stupid and continued to wear mine, as well as eye protection); not that it would have helped the states where the governors are actively fighting mask mandates, including for schools.

Seeing more and more young adults and children seriously ill from the Delta variant (there are regions in Texas which no longer have pediatric ICU beds available).

There was a 30 yr old mom from FL who got to hold her newborn (early C-section) once before she was sent to IC where she later passed.

Even if everyone in the program is vaccinated (including staff), Fitz better have everyone mask up.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
The CDC muffed up in removing the mask mandate for the vaccinated earlier in the year (thought it was stupid and continued to wear mine, as well as eye protection); not that it would have helped the states where the governors are actively fighting mask mandates, including for schools.

Seeing more and more young adults and children seriously ill from the Delta variant (there are regions in Texas which no longer have pediatric ICU beds available).

There was a 30 yr old mom from FL who got to hold her newborn (early C-section) once before she was sent to IC where she later passed.

Even if everyone in the program is vaccinated (including staff), Fitz better have everyone mask up.

27 year old female police officer in Broward County, Florida passed away yesterday due to COVID. Non-vaccinated. Leaves a two-year old behind. So sad. Such a waste. Union not mandating their members be vaccinated. Only suggesting. Please get vaccinated if you haven’t already done so. Lindsey Graham is strongly encouraging everyone to get vaccinated.

Don't blame me. I'm as selfish as the next guy, but I got vaccinated.

Good for you! Me too, but there are also vulnerable people I need to protect and vaccination is the fastest, safest means of getting us all out of this nightmare and get our country going again.

I think the people who don't want foreign substances injected into their bodies are simply afraid of needles and shots. Do they pull the same line when they or their children get a strep throat infection?

Good for you! Me too, but there are also vulnerable people I need to protect and vaccination is the fastest, safest means of getting us all out of this nightmare and get our country going again.

I think the people who don't want foreign substances injected into their bodies are simply afraid of needles and shots. Do they pull the same line when they or their children get a strep throat infection?
How much you want to bet that most of those people who don't want to be vaccinated eat mostly processed foods (I have no data)--talk about foreign substances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT