ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul/ Minn

mesacat

May 29, 2001
Blue Demons up by 16 with 2 min to go. Is DP that good or are Gophers that bad?

According to the broadcast, the Gophs didn't have their best player, Battle.

More immediately, DePaul quickness and size could be a problem for the Cats.

According to the broadcast, the Gophs didn't have their best player, Battle.

More immediately, DePaul quickness and size could be a problem for the Cats.
Well said. Battle is not only their best player, he is a heck of a good player. Last year, when we were thrashed in Minneapolis, he embarrassed Beran. Who should never have been assigned to guard him, just because, on paper, Battle was the 4 (in reality the Gophers had no bench and played just one big man, Curry, and 4 perimeter players). Not Beran's fault, he should have never had that assignment, just like he should not have guarded LaRavia or Murray. All games where that cost us a bunch of points.

DePaul is athletic, I agree. But can't say a whole lot more positive things about them. They are bottom of the BE.

Reactions: drewjin
... DePaul is athletic, I agree. But can't say a whole lot more positive things about them. They are bottom of the BE.
I agree DePaul is probably near the bottom of the BE. That doesn't exclude them from being a problem for NU. If last night is any indication, I think that's a much tougher team than NU.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Well said. Battle is not only their best player, he is a heck of a good player. Last year, when we were thrashed in Minneapolis, he embarrassed Beran. Who should never have been assigned to guard him, just because, on paper, Battle was the 4 (in reality the Gophers had no bench and played just one big man, Curry, and 4 perimeter players). Not Beran's fault, he should have never had that assignment, just like he should not have guarded LaRavia or Murray. All games where that cost us a bunch of points.

DePaul is athletic, I agree. But can't say a whole lot more positive things about them. They are bottom of the BE.
The guy who really killed us in the Minnesota loss was the guard who went off for 24 points and 6 3's. He had 3 points in the loss.

And LaRavia got drafted in the first round of the NBA draft. He had 31 points against North Carolina. Good players score. I don't remember his defense the rest of the game but I actually thought Beran did a good job on him defensively on the shot to win the game. I think it was like an 8-foot fadeaway on the baseline.

The guy who really killed us in the Minnesota loss was the guard who went off for 24 points and 6 3's. He had 3 points in the loss.

And LaRavia got drafted in the first round of the NBA draft. He had 31 points against North Carolina. Good players score. I don't remember his defense the rest of the game but I actually thought Beran did a good job on him defensively on the shot to win the game. I think it was like an 8-foot fadeaway on the baseline.
Battle scored 21 in the loss and scored like 8 in a row in the early stages of the game when they opened a big lead. Luke Lowe never let us even remotely believe we could get back in the game.

I agree on LaRavia but you’re just confirming that if he’s good it’s Audige that has to stay on him, even giving up the height. And Beran did play him well on the last shot. But he also floated way too much in the first half and gave away a couple of 3’s.

Again, it’s not Beran’s fault he gets the assignment. Murray disrespectfully laughed at being guarded by Beran on live TV.

Lest we forget we beat Minnesota later in the year. Coach Collins must have gotten very lucky!

Reactions: drewjin
You deflect the point yet again. The point is that Collins and the team adjusted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT