ADVERTISEMENT

Did McCall run the WCO?

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
I was watching the Jets yesterday with Adam Gase and it reminded so much of McCall. Short passes, horizontal, never attacking down the field.

Gase runs I believe a cookie cutter WCO. Does McCall run that with some spread concepts added?

I was watching the Jets yesterday with Adam Gase and it reminded so much of McCall. Short passes, horizontal, never attacking down the field.

Gase runs I believe a cookie cutter WCO. Does McCall run that with some spread concepts added?

Surely, you must be joking.

The WCO doesn’t involve a run on every first down or bubble screens as a major part of the repertoire.

Gase is so bad, I would wager that he will be the first coach fired. If only one could do that...

Wait, you can! He has the best odds to get canned first ahead of Atlanta’s Dan Quinn. I particularly enjoyed the 55 yard run they gave up on 3rd and 31.

Surely, you must be joking.

The WCO doesn’t involve a run on every first down or bubble screens as a major part of the repertoire.

Or running 100% of the time on 2nd down and short or running a draw play 90% of the time on 3rd and 7+...

Reactions: Katatonic
‘West Coast Offense’ basically means short, high percentage passes, with more passing than running. Everyone runs a west coast offense, except perhaps teams that prominently feature quarterback runs.

Nobody runs Bill Walsh’s west coast offense, which included three and five and seven-step drops, and split backs, and a tight end in a three-point stance.

Sure didn't run a McVay or Shanahan style WCO (where they scheme to get receivers open).

To mitigate the Eagles pass rush, McVay utilized a moving pocket and had Goff bootleg (don't think Goff is any more mobile than Siemian).

In contrast, McCall watched Trevor get pounded for 3 quarters; not setting Trevor "free" until the 4th Q where TS led a furious comeback against Michigan.

McCall's adjustment prior to that was just having TS take snaps further behind the LoS which did nothing.

Last edited:
It was the Run and Shoot: We would run the ball on 3rd and 8, and you’d shoot your TV in frustration. Great offense for BestBuy.

While a great joke, I think it was actually a run and shoot. Lining up in spread formations where the QB isn't a run threat is essentially a run and shoot offense. The term "superback" is actually a run and shoot naming convention.

While a great joke, I think it was actually a run and shoot. Lining up in spread formations where the QB isn't a run threat is essentially a run and shoot offense. The term "superback" is actually a run and shoot naming convention.

Even when I am joking, I am brilliant.

/s

Some here thought McCall was a good OC, but have long thought that he was, overall, poor at game-planning and agonizingly slowing making adjustments.

Another example being the loss to Army (a not very good Army team at that).

The known weak point of Army's D was its secondary, so what does McCall try to do?

Run the FB with KC.

Now, can kinda see starting off with that (to see if the 'Cats can run the ball on them), but would have had a backup plan for when it became evident that they couldn't.

But like with the Michigan game, didn't make the needed change until the 4th Q (some of the blame also goes to Fitz).

That’s 2 losses right there due to poor game planning and slow adjustments.

Last edited:
Saw this post this morning, immediately had to click to see who fired off the first Acronym. BosCat, boom! It wasn't Shakespeare but offense is about tempo and you got that play off quick!!
Why is this thread still open? @BosCat nailed it, no further discussion needed. 😄

Some here thought McCall was a good OC, but have long thought that he was, overall, poor at game-planning and agonizingly slowing making adjustments.

Another example being the loss to Army (a not very good Army team at that).

The known weak point of Army's D was its secondary, so what does McCall try to do?

Run the FB with KC.

Now, can kinda see starting off with that (to see if the 'Cats can run the ball on them), but would have had a backup plan for when it became evident that they couldn't.

But like with the Michigan game, didn't make the needed change until the 4th Q (some of the blame also goes to Fitz).

That’s 2 losses right there due to poor game planning and slow adjustments.

I think he was innovative early on, but he really got stuck in the mud. He reinvented the mousetrap once, but failed to realize you have to keep reinventing the mousetrap once the mouse is no longer bighting on the cheese. When teams adapted and realized they could play tight man coverage (rather than sit back in zone and fall into the dink/dunk trap), things really fell apart. You can't just count on vertical routes to beat man coverage these days. Corners have gotten too skilled in physical play.

The issue with McCalls offense was that he designed it to gain 3-4 yds per play and get to 3rd and manageable. The best offenses try to avoid third downs.

It’s very difficult to execute 15 play drives even if you have talented players.

If you don't have talented players, you grind to get to third and manageable, play clean, and pull off 15-play drives.

If you don't have talented players, you grind to get to third and manageable, play clean, and pull off 15-play drives.

I disagree a bit. This is the triple option theory, but not the spread theory. Yes, you want to be efficient and gain at least 3 yards on first and second down to keep you out of third and long, but McCall’s plays were often designed to gain “no more” than 3 yards despite being very hard to execute.

You have to design a plan with a margin of error built in or give a play designed to gain 3 yards a chance to get you ten or become an explosion play.

The whole point of the spread is to be efficient. However, it’s also suppose to take a 3 yard gain play and turn it into 10 or explosion with a mismatch.

I think he was innovative early on, but he really got stuck in the mud. He reinvented the mousetrap once, but failed to realize you have to keep reinventing the mousetrap once the mouse is no longer bighting on the cheese. When teams adapted and realized they could play tight man coverage (rather than sit back in zone and fall into the dink/dunk trap), things really fell apart. You can't just count on vertical routes to beat man coverage these days. Corners have gotten too skilled in physical play.

Yeah, the problem with the "read & react" approach was that opposing defenses eventually could predict what the NU O was going to do (notwithstanding the time when Wisky defenders knew whether the play was going to be a pass or run due to the O-line tipping them off - which is inexcusable on the coaches).

Simply hated those throws to the sideline that traveled an intermediate distance in the air, but usually only for a short gain unless YAC, as opposing corners were waiting to jump those routes.

Reactions: MRCat95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT