ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing but a convergence of things in the Duke loss

eastbaycat99

Gold Member
Mar 7, 2009
I hate to see my team lose, but losing a really winnable game really hurts. Let’s assume the Saka sack fumble call is 50/50. Let’s assume if Porter gets the call on third down there is a better than even chance the Cats score, and at least a better than even combined chance that they either convert the 2 points or win a succeeding OT. Put together, they win the game more often than not. Unfortunately, they did not win.

The real point of this post, though, is the failures by the offense and its coordinator and whether the offense can grow to become effective if not excellent. I think before jumping to conclusions, it's important to factor in 3 things that contributed to the Friday night debacle. The most important of these is the style of defense that Manny Diaz’s teams employ: it is a chaos defense predicated on pressuring offenses by using multiple rush/cover schemes the utilize quick defenders. It is very disruptive. The second factor that worked into the night was the weather conditions, that created a degree of difficulty and uncertainty in countering the attacking mode of the Duke defense. The third factor was the inexperience of the offensive unit, and particularly of the QB and OC working together in game conditions to make adjustments as needed. In short, playing a Manny Diaz team in lousy conditions with a new OC/QB combo was an unfortunate draw. There were some hopeful things, to me. Postgame, Braun admitted he and Lujan made a bad call on 3rd down in the 2nd OT. Admitting error is a welcome event from the NU brain trust. Secondly, I thought the O Line, which I thought would be a weakness entering the season, more than held its own on average, and the left side was creating a lot of room for Porter. Porter looked the best he has since 2020. In retrospect, I am sure the coaches wish they had used the ability to get consistent gains on power runs. I imagine they will work on having Wright look for open tight ends over the middle earlier in his reads, and for the wide receivers to read and use the middle of the field when the defense vacates it like Duke did. Finally, Wright clearly is not a Heisman candidate, but he does have a set of talents that can be tamed and put to good use, I hope, even if they weren’t on Friday.

The net of all this is that NU does have some pieces to make the offense work: a decent power game and speed at key positions. The OC and QB were not ready for what was thrown at them Friday, but there is still a good chance for growth and some success.

1. Manny Diaz/staff/QB new.

2. Duke got better as the game went on, we got worse.

3. As mentioned in another post, if Duke doesn't drop half a dozen passes and 2 INTs, they win easily

Reactions: JT2311 and Eurocat
1. Manny Diaz/staff/QB new.

2. Duke got better as the game went on, we got worse.

3. As mentioned in another post, if Duke doesn't drop half a dozen passes and 2 INTs, they win easily
1. Duke’s offense was ineffective until OT.
2. Give Duke credit. I’m not sure what your point is.
3. It doesn’t matter that both teams had opportunities that would have changed the course of the game to say the Cats were in a position to win. Sure, Duke could have intercepted. The Cats could have run in the blocked punt with a better bounce. The point is at end of regulation, if they get the call, they win. and at end of 2nd OT, they make a different play call, they have a better than 50/50 chance they win, based on all the events that led to those points.

My main point is that the failure of the OC/QB of Northwestern in this instance is not necessarily indicative of how the offense will play out the rest of the year. From what I saw, if the two teams played again in a month, I would bet on the Cats. Maybe I’m wrong, but after watching NU for more than a half century, I am nowhere as pessimistic about this offense as I have been in many years after game 2, including a bunch in the last ten years.

Reactions: Rebel II
, I am nowhere as pessimistic about this offense as I have been in many years
I think they will improve, although I'm bitterly disappointed about losing to yet another mediocre Puke team. I just feel it wasn't that close. Blocking the punt and not Scoop/Scoring isn't the same as dropping (at least 2) INTs or several passes right in their hands. To me, it means that our defense isn't quite as good as they seem, that this was probably 6 additional 1st downs Duke would have had.

I'm over it, excited to be back at the lakefront Saturday night. Bringing extra clothes though

Great post and I agree I felt like we were the better team just too many self inflicted wounds that are totally fixable. I do need to see more evidence from Wright of his ability to throw the ball though as his early passes aren't demonstrating the degree of touch needed to be effective.

I hate to see my team lose, but losing a really winnable game really hurts. Let’s assume the Saka sack fumble call is 50/50. Let’s assume if Porter gets the call on third down there is a better than even chance the Cats score, and at least a better than even combined chance that they either convert the 2 points or win a succeeding OT. Put together, they win the game more often than not. Unfortunately, they did not win.

The real point of this post, though, is the failures by the offense and its coordinator and whether the offense can grow to become effective if not excellent. I think before jumping to conclusions, it's important to factor in 3 things that contributed to the Friday night debacle. The most important of these is the style of defense that Manny Diaz’s teams employ: it is a chaos defense predicated on pressuring offenses by using multiple rush/cover schemes the utilize quick defenders. It is very disruptive. The second factor that worked into the night was the weather conditions, that created a degree of difficulty and uncertainty in countering the attacking mode of the Duke defense. The third factor was the inexperience of the offensive unit, and particularly of the QB and OC working together in game conditions to make adjustments as needed. In short, playing a Manny Diaz team in lousy conditions with a new OC/QB combo was an unfortunate draw. There were some hopeful things, to me. Postgame, Braun admitted he and Lujan made a bad call on 3rd down in the 2nd OT. Admitting error is a welcome event from the NU brain trust. Secondly, I thought the O Line, which I thought would be a weakness entering the season, more than held its own on average, and the left side was creating a lot of room for Porter. Porter looked the best he has since 2020. In retrospect, I am sure the coaches wish they had used the ability to get consistent gains on power runs. I imagine they will work on having Wright look for open tight ends over the middle earlier in his reads, and for the wide receivers to read and use the middle of the field when the defense vacates it like Duke did. Finally, Wright clearly is not a Heisman candidate, but he does have a set of talents that can be tamed and put to good use, I hope, even if they weren’t on Friday.

The net of all this is that NU does have some pieces to make the offense work: a decent power game and speed at key positions. The OC and QB were not ready for what was thrown at them Friday, but there is still a good chance for growth and some success.
The weather seems to be an overlooked factor for many. The only place there wasn’t a lot of wind was the North stands. Get by the field at it was a gale. The Duke QB looked awful as well. The complete Doom and Gloom around here is ridiculous.

Reactions: MickeyCat
The weather seems to be an overlooked factor for many. The only place there wasn’t a lot of wind was the North stands. Get by the field at it was a gale. The Duke QB looked awful as well. The complete Doom and Gloom around here is ridiculous.
Because of a torn Achilles and need to use a knee scooter, the good people at NU Athletics transferred my season tickets to the ADA front section of the North end zone. The rabbit ran about 10 feet from our seats. Close to the field, it was very, very windy. The only windier game I’ve experienced was the OSU game in 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT