ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want to watch the 1996 Rose Bowl game versus USC?

Is this the version where they overturn the ruling on the Musso fumble?

Yes. Must see TV. We won.

That mysterious, super secret piece of NU history seen only in the by invitation wing of Fitz’ office are the 1996 Rose Bowl and 1995 national championship trophies.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
No thanks. Was at the game and while I will always remember my trip to Pasadena fondly, I can't bear to relive the agony of that loss.

Anyway that leads me to this question. Does anyone rewatch the losses? I rewatch the upset wins all the time (1995 Michigan, 2000 Michigan, 2004 Ohio State, 2014 Notre Dame) but have never taken the time to rewatch a loss. The losses replayed on BTN are especially brutal as they usually feature NU snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Reactions: DaCat
Surprised the crowd resembles more of a whiteout, with fans waving purple or gold poms to signify their teams.

Russell uniforms/Starter apparel is a fun 90s throwback.

Surprised the crowd resembles more of a whiteout, with fans waving purple or gold poms to signify their teams.

Russell uniforms/Starter apparel is a fun 90s throwback.
I remember a couple of key sports issues of 95

I am a long-suffering fan of both the Cats and the Cleveland Indians. They both emerged from their long-moribund state in 95. I felt like there was a disturbance in the space-time continuum. Also, they both looked so good that year, and their change in trajectory so pronounced, that there was no reason to feel they would ever regress to any extent.

The half-full guy says that they have both been very successful - the Tribe has won like 10 division titles and gone to 3 WS. The Cats have gone to 14 bowls in 25 years.

The half-empty guy, let's say 1/4 empty guy, says that the Tribe hasn't won a WS, and that the Cats haven't won the B1G this century.

Reactions: drewjin
Try tonight, ESPNU, 11 PM Eastern time. I believe this is a two hour condensed version
Darn, thanks for posting, wish I would have seen this yesterday! Prob can still find it on the app somewhere now. Was a fun game despite the loss.

I watched the majority of it last night. I stopped after Dr. Padgett was assisted off the field for x-rays.

I forgot how close the game actually was. Cats led 32-31 early in the 4th. What if Schnur didn't throw an INT late? What if refs didn't call a holding penalty on what appeared to be a Bates TD catch?

Reactions: drewjin
I remember the 49 yard field goal that USC kicked to take the lead. That was the kid's Jack Mitchell moment.

Sam V. told me essentially the same thing in a humblebrag a few years ago. Their All Americans played. Ours were out with injuries.
Did Gowins struggle in that game? I honestly don't recall. I do remember him being a pretty reliable kicker overall (much better than anyone we've had in recent years), and he kicked the game winning FG the next year to beat Michigan.

I loved an interview with Dwayne Bates when he discussed the key plays that would have given NU the W. Whatta team NU had!

I don't want to watch "The Keyshawn Show" ever again. I doubt he ever played a better game with USC. Later, when he became a pro, I took delight in seeing him take a huge hit wherein he was driven into the turf with serious force. He got up slowly and had a 10" square divot attached to his helmet. He wasn't hurt, but I just wish it could have happened once or twice in the Rose Bowl.

I loved an interview with Dwayne Bates when he discussed the key plays that would have given NU the W. Whatta team NU had!

I don't want to watch "The Keyshawn Show" ever again. I doubt he ever played a better game with USC. Later, when he became a pro, I took delight in seeing him take a huge hit wherein he was driven into the turf with serious force. He got up slowly and had a 10" square divot attached to his helmet. He wasn't hurt, but I just wish it could have happened once or twice in the Rose Bowl.

This would be the same Keyshawn Johnson who illegally had tutors complete his course assignments for him? I want to see the version of the 1995 Rose Bowl where he gets the suspension that he richly deserved. Y'all do know that USC was required to forfeit all their wins in 1995, including the "victory" over NU? Just incredible that Johnson was still "honored" IN SPITE of obviously having cheated. This isn't even debatable.

Did Gowins struggle in that game? I honestly don't recall. I do remember him being a pretty reliable kicker overall (much better than anyone we've had in recent years), and he kicked the game winning FG the next year to beat Michigan.

Gowins also hit very difficult, key field goals in terrible conditions against Illinois and Iowa in ‘95. I always thought he was a better kicker than Sam beyond 40 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT