ADVERTISEMENT

Does the entire staff return?

I don't want anyone other than the obvious guys gone. I was just making a whack observation checking out the regular season ending stats of the entire B1G. My point is that the coaching staff needs to get to work on both sides of the ball. Some thought that the fight for the Hat victory was "fun", but for me it showed the staff has alot of work to do to really get the program on track. For me fun was under Barnett and freaking everyone in the B1G and the college football world out by going to the Rose Bowl and winning two B1G titles. That is really FUN!!!!!!!!
I liked ‘95 too. But I remember the Cats beating Notre Dame by 2, losing to Miami of Ohio by 2, beating Michigan by 6, beating Minnesota by 10, and beating Illinois by 3.

Even in that great season, there were plenty of close games. And, yes, they were ‘fun.’

Trying to become a fan of Northwestern when trained to have Ohio State’s standards is nearly impossible. The effort drove Turk mad.

I liked ‘95 too. But I remember the Cats beating Notre Dame by 2, losing to Miami of Ohio by 2, beating Michigan by 6, beating Minnesota by 10, and beating Illinois by 3.

Even in that great season, there were plenty of close games. And, yes, they were ‘fun.’

Trying to become a fan of Northwestern when trained to have Ohio State’s standards is nearly impossible. The effort drove Turk mad.
I don't have OSU standards at all anymore. I went to EMU for God's sake!!!! You want futility Ypsilanti in the late 80's- early 90's was the place to be.

Last edited:
Don’t forget, Thor had JJTBC! Together they were quite the team!! Two four stars who stayed four years and lived up to their billing!

Thor not only had JJtBC, he also threw to the only 2 receivers in purple who had made it to the NFL in recent history; plus he had a pretty good TE who retired from the sport.

I don't want anyone other than the obvious guys gone. I was just making a whack observation checking out the regular season ending stats of the entire B1G. My point is that the coaching staff needs to get to work on both sides of the ball. Some thought that the fight for the Hat victory was "fun", but for me it showed the staff has alot of work to do to really get the program on track. For me fun was under Barnett and freaking everyone in the B1G and the college football world out by going to the Rose Bowl and winning two B1G titles. That is really FUN!!!!!!!!
I think the point is just that the massive defensive improvement is obvious beyond just stats.

Yeah you'll have games where the defense isn't great and things have to be cleaned up, that happened under Hank too. It'll happen under any great DC, nobody's perfect.

The difference is, the defense was generally solid under Hank and has been this season.

Players are generally in the right position to make plays.

There were times under JON where it felt like none of our guys were in the frame or were just not in position to affect plays or they got to the opponent's player after he'd already built up momentum during the time it took to close distance. The results were predictably bad.

Iowa the past couple years is the best example: Iowa in 2021 got 16 first downs on 1st+2nd downs. They got 19 of those first downs on 1st+2nd downs in 2022.

This year, Iowa got 10 of those first downs on 1st+2nd downs.

Under Hank, in 2020, Iowa got 12 of those first downs. In 2019, Iowa got 5 of those. In 2018, Iowa got 13 of those.

Simple comparison obviously but I feel like you could do this for every team the past couple of years and see the same results. Teams were getting more yardage (and outright first downs) in the first two downs of play against JON's defense.

Iowa is a good example, far more effective offensively against JON's defense over two years than any other game against us in recent history. And Iowa's been offensively bad for years without interruption (which makes it a good control test).

Last edited:
Reactions: SmellyCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT