ADVERTISEMENT

dOSU preparing for 20K-50K fans at home games

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Ohio Stadium is massive but it’s hard to imagine them pulling off 50% capacity this season (50K). However at least the powerhouses are planning as if there will be some semblance of a season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ans-attend-football-games-ad-gene-smith-says/

I imagine we could fit 10K-20K fans at Ryan Field without sacrificing social distancing. Hopefully we only let NU fans in for a change.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Ohio Stadium is massive but it’s hard to imagine them pulling off 50% capacity this season (50K). However at least the powerhouses are planning as if there will be some semblance of a season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ans-attend-football-games-ad-gene-smith-says/

I imagine we could fit 10K-20K fans at Ryan Field without sacrificing social distancing. Hopefully we only let NU fans in for a change.
Posted on FB earlier. I think this greatly neutralizes energies from the fan base of traditional powers.

I find it interesting that nothing is mentioned about tailgating. With buffets and shared finger foods a relic of the recent past maybe we will see restrictions on both the food fare as well as the distancing within the tailgate venues. Sealed canned and bottled beverages should still be a safe bet.

Reactions: Titanium999
I find it interesting that nothing is mentioned about tailgating. With buffets and shared finger foods a relic of the recent past maybe we will see restrictions on both the food fare as well as the distancing within the tailgate venues. Sealed canned and bottled beverages should still be a safe bet.
If sealed canned and bottle beverages are a safe bet, I am Ok.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
If what I have been reading lately is correct, it's not the touching of things that is dangerous, it's the breathing. My wife is making masks with a button hole for a straw. Stay safe.

>>>I find it interesting that nothing is mentioned about tailgating.<<<

Great observation, yet one that there is time to figure out. I predict there will be three factors at play as health needs become easier to identify 4 weeks out rather than 4 months out.

1). NU property
2) Property not owned by NU but is leased either directly by NU or for the benefit of NU (parking garages, golf courses)
3. Government regulation at City, County and/or State levels.

I expect a great deal of coordination between all 3 entities so that two things are met, consistency and the inability of fans who don’t have tickets for the game yet want their own “traditional Saturday football experience” to be able to behave in a manner inconsistent with health practices as they will exist at that time.

The problem the cities are going to have to deal with are the visitors where you can’t account for their past/present health and behavior consistent with consideration of others (especially residents/taxpayers).

I expect restrictions to be pretty significant and enforcement fairly rigorous.

The other gigantic challenge will be consistent enforcement between “adults” and students (admittedly alcohol is a great equalizer between the two).

50K seems way too many in terms of people using the bathroom facilities.
The children in schools will dicta

Great observation, yet one that there is time to figure out. I predict there will be three factors at play as health needs become easier to identify 4 weeks out rather than 4 months out.

1). NU property
2) Property not owned by NU but is leased either directly by NU or for the benefit of NU (parking garages, golf courses)

I expect a great deal of coordination between all 3 entities so that two things are met, consistency and the inability of fans who don’t have tickets for the game yet want their own “traditional Saturday football experience” to be able to behave in a manner inconsistent with health practices as they will exist at that time.

The problem the cities are going to have to deal with are the visitors where you can’t account for their past/present health and behavior consistent with consideration of others (especially residents/taxpayers).

The other gigantic challenge will be consistent enforcement between “adults” and students (admittedly alcohol is a great equalizer between the two).
I can see fans getting testy

1). NU property

Definitely food for thought (well we are discussing tailgating. :) )

Those considerations collectively could well make a case for a "no visitors" policy at Ryan Field, at least with regard to tailgating. Enforcement would obviously be difficult but one step for us might include not allowing any out of state license plates in the parking venues associated with the tailgating locations. That and of course the security officers requiring each carload to sing in unison "Go U Northwestern" before being allowed access. As an added precaution a five question quiz could be added:

1. What is the name of the structure on campus that unexpectedly began sinking into the landfill when books were added?

2. Identify the location of Shakespeare Garden.

3. Name the legendary Northwestern athlete whose first name sounds like a car and whose last name is a type of cracker.

4. What is the name of the campus landmark just outside the entrance to University Hall?

5. How many times has Northwestern been to the Rose Bowl and name the team(s) they played against in both their first and last games played there?

Reactions: stpaulcat
Honestly, Alaska, I don't have much of a beef with the out-of-staters who follow their team on the road (having been to eighty of our road games, it'd be pretty hypocritical if I did). No, my beef is with people who live here - and as such, should be Northwestern fans in the first place - but only show up once every two years, or whatever, to cheer for the out-of-town visitors. I get it and all, but I don't have to like it.

If only 20-50k will be able to see the games, I wish students were prioritized, but I’m pretty sure it will go to big donors and licensed seats at best.

Reactions: CatVideos

Right, that's the way to do it. No opposing fans.

If only 20-50k will be able to see the games, I wish students were prioritized, but I’m pretty sure it will go to big donors and licensed seats at best.
You mean students are forced into the stadium with cattle prods? This is NU 2020, not NU 1963.

Does NU have more than 20,000 ST’s?
You could limit attendance to only players families and students. Let everyone else watch on TV.
Maybe students could bring a guest; that might encourage people to seek out students and get them to go to games.:)

And while I love seeing OSU fans travel well, But for the sake of the opposing players, don’t generally want to see Them out numbering the fans at the opposing home stadium. Michigan and PSU being the exception... Could happen at Ann Arbor, never happen in Happy Valley.

St. Paulie, I think our friend Klemman is talking about OSU.
I know. If NU is open for football and there is a crowd size/ density limit, priority should go to students (and alums). Problem is students at NU don't go to the games by and large.

If only 20-50k will be able to see the games, I wish students were prioritized, but I’m pretty sure it will go to big donors and licensed seats at best

and here is where Jim Phillips needs to draw a red line about selling tickets on the secondary market. If you are offered, accept and pay for a hard to get/limited ticket to see a game in person, only to sell it on the secondary market (blindly - you have no idea who is buying) at a profit, there needs to be swift and serious consequences in the long term for doing so.

I also have questions about the number, age/health and aggressiveness of stadium personnel in enforcing social distancing and mask requirements throughout the game. You just know that certain people are going to insist on sitting with their buddies, and with lots of room between each seat, who’s going to enforce it in face of fans insisting “I’ve been tested/I have antibodies” and other bullshit that is unverifiable?

and here is where Jim Phillips needs to draw a red line about selling tickets on the secondary market. If you are offered, accept and pay for a hard to get/limited ticket to see a game in person, only to sell it on the secondary market (blindly - you have no idea who is buying) at a profit, there needs to be swift and serious consequences in the long term for doing so.

I also have questions about the number, age/health and aggressiveness of stadium personnel in enforcing social distancing and mask requirements throughout the game. You just know that certain people are going to insist on sitting with their buddies, and with lots of room between each seat, who’s going to enforce it in face of fans insisting “I’ve been tested/I have antibodies” and other bullshit that is unverifiable?
Yep, no easy answers there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT