ADVERTISEMENT

dOSU

Yep. Impressive. They are a top echelon SEC ( read, fully professional ) team.

That's largely old news. Well earned but outdated reputation type stuff. OSU is now a strong public university. And the football program's ascent into the super elite has been lock step with its increased emphasis on preparing kids for life after football.

I'm no Buckeye fan. But you have to give them their due.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Catslash
That's largely old news. Well earned but outdated reputation type stuff. OSU is now a strong public university. And the football program's ascent into the super elite has been lock step with its increased emphasis on preparing kids for life after football.

GOUNUII

Well, we can agree on not being Buckeye fans. If ongoing, pervasive and significant recruiting violations ( see Chase Young as the latest example to see the light of day ) are preparing kids for life after football, then I guess I’m just behind the times.

Reactions: willycat
Well, we can agree on not being Buckeye fans. If ongoing, pervasive and significant recruiting violations ( see Chase Young as the latest example to see the light of day ) are preparing kids for life after football, then I guess I’m just behind the times.

Your reference to ongoing, pervasive and significant recruiting violations is a stretch. To say the least.

GOUNUII

Your reference to ongoing, pervasive and significant recruiting violations is a stretch. To say the least. GOUNUII

Pervasive and significant in the SEC; less so in other conferences, but certainly present in all P5 conferences. Here’s a bet: Minnesota has recently joined the ranks of SEC-like recruiting techniques. In any event, Pay for Play legislation will lead to changes that will eventually eliminate the need for sub rosa payments.

Pervasive and significant in the SEC; less so in other conferences, but certainly present in all P5 conferences. Here’s a bet: Minnesota has recently joined the ranks of SEC-like recruiting techniques. In any event, Pay for Play legislation will lead to changes that will eventually eliminate the need for sub rosa payments.
Won't end the bidding wars, though. May even accelerate them. :rolleyes:

Won't end the bidding wars, though. May even accelerate them. :rolleyes:

Sadly, agree. But the auctions will be out in the open. My concern, as CSC has mooted in another thread, is that NU will decline the opportunity to participate in booster-guaranteed endorsement deals.

Sadly, agree. But the auctions will be out in the open. My concern, as CSC has mooted in another thread, is that NU will decline the opportunity to participate in booster-guaranteed endorsement deals.
If we reach the point that college athletes are paid a professional player's salary, what's the point of college athletics?

Reactions: phatcat

GOUNUII
The school is. The question is if it is as good a school for the athletes or something watered down as it was in the past

Weren't those guys signed by UM?

Yes. With the large exception of Fields. And now they’re getting even better players ... top to bottom. And coaching them up better too. Meyer struggled on the coaching front his last 2-3 years. His teams showed it.

GOUNUII

The school is. The question is if it is as good a school for the athletes or something watered down as it was in the past

My niece dates a Buckeye player. He’s a Florida guy that had the academic chops to go to Stanford. According to him the entire academic experience at OSU is now defined by advancement to post football careers. That might seem obvious and nothing special to us NU folks. But it’s a huge transformation at a football factory.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT