ADVERTISEMENT

Duke BB

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Duke has an amazing frontline. Coach K has amassed an unbelievable freshmen class

Duke has an amazing frontline. Coach K has amassed an unbelievable freshmen class
Pretty amazing that the top 3 graduating high school senior basketballers all had the grades to get into Duke.....;)

Seriously, Duke has completely sold out to the almighty basketball dollar. They cannot have any higher academic standards for athletes than any random State school.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
RJ Barrett is going to be the best player on the court in every game this season and Zion's gonna do his dunking thing, but their PG Tre Jones was the key to the game last night. No turnovers by him was huge

am1000/scr670 chicago radio were abuzz this morning about how these 3 players will go #1,#2 and #3 in the next nba draft. This NU fan hopes that we get PBJr. for 4 years, but if we get him for 1 year, I hope he goes #1 in the nba draft after his frosh year at NU!!! And I hope Nance goes #2 in that same nba draft! Oh...and I also hope we defeat Duke in the Final 4 that year to earn our first national championship!!

Pretty amazing that the top 3 graduating high school senior basketballers all had the grades to get into Duke.....;)

Seriously, Duke has completely sold out to the almighty basketball dollar. They cannot have any higher academic standards for athletes than any random State school.
I don't think they ever claimed to for basketball. Not sure about football.

I'm already annoyed by them and their PR man, Jay Bilas. I hope they run into UMBC in the first round.

I'm already annoyed by them and their PR man, Jay Bilas. I hope they run into UMBC in the first round.
I hear what you are saying, but Bilas is less of a PR man for Duke than folks like Wilbon, Greenie, Brennan, and Rovell are for NU.

Reactions: FitzFan
am1000/scr670 chicago radio were abuzz this morning about how these 3 players will go #1,#2 and #3 in the next nba draft. This NU fan hopes that we get PBJr. for 4 years, but if we get him for 1 year, I hope he goes #1 in the nba draft after his frosh year at NU!!! And I hope Nance goes #2 in that same nba draft! Oh...and I also hope we defeat Duke in the Final 4 that year to earn our first national championship!!

By #3, you mean Cam Reddish. Tre Jones is said to be better than his brother at this stage of their development, but he's not a one and done like the 3 forwards.

I don't know that RJ Barrett is the best player on the court. I mean he is more complete as a player, but Zion Williamson is just a freak. I don't see how anyone can guard him. He'll bully guards and 3's and just go by any bigs. 270 lbs and can jump higher than anyone. He handles and drives like a guard. He was 11 of 13 from the field including a 3 and a long 2 that looked pretty good to me (his weakness supposedly is his shooting).

Jalen Rose is on dope saying he wouldn't start over Juwan Howard or Chris Webber as freshmen.

... but Bilas is less of a PR man for Duke than folks like Wilbon, Greenie, Brennan, and Rovell are for NU.

I get your general point, and I agree to an extent. But I dont agree that he is "less" involved in Duke than Greenie or Wilbon (the two strongest examples). How many hours each year is Bilas involved in a Duke telecast? Ten games a year on the low end? Now compare that to how much time Wilbon and Greenie spend on the topic on NU.

But there's something a little more scummy about the commentator who hides his support intellectually and NEVER sees a problem with a program versus the people who openly and unapologetically root for a team as a small percentage of their commentary.

Coach K is masterful at spreading the Duke brand outside of gametime, especially with ESPN.

I get your general point, and I agree to an extent. But I dont agree that he is "less" involved in Duke than Greenie or Wilbon (the two strongest examples). How many hours each year is Bilas involved in a Duke telecast? Ten games a year on the low end? Now compare that to how much time Wilbon and Greenie spend on the topic on NU.

But there's something a little more scummy about the commentator who hides his support intellectually and NEVER sees a problem with a program versus the people who openly and unapologetically root for a team as a small percentage of their commentary.

Coach K is masterful at spreading the Duke brand outside of gametime, especially with ESPN.
Well, you're moving the goal post by changing the discussion from the extent to which Bilas is the "PR man" for Duke to the extent he is "involved" in covering Duke. He is ESPN's top college basketball commentator and color man. Of course he is going to cover the perennial Top 5 team a heck of a lot. I don't think he openly roots for Duke, although he certainly is not critical of it.

... although he certainly is not critical of it.

Then we agree. I expect a bit more from a national analyst.

But to be fair, It's just another in a long line of college basketball analysts who don't really tell the whole story.

Dickie V and any number of coaches programs
Bill Raftery and any school northwest of Pennsylvania
Billy Packer and the ACC

So Bilas reports about Duke on a regular basis, but in your words, he's "certainly not critical of it."

OK.

So Bilas reports about Duke on a regular basis, but in your words, he's "certainly not critical of it."

OK.
Yes. And that doesn't necessarily make him Duke's "PR man." Dukie V is another thing entirely. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty with this concept.

Yes. And that doesn't necessarily make him Duke's "PR man." Dukie V is another thing entirely. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty with this concept.
Dickie V is <<<<<<<< Bilas.

Bilas is objective. I applaud his criticism of the hypocritical NCAA.

Vitale is a shill. Can't stand him. Although he was great at a basketball tip-off event at NU in the 90's.

Who cares? It drives admissions across the board and is wildly entertaining.

BTW, the crazy thing is that Zion was the #3 ranked recruit in the land, which gives you a sense of what at stake if we really have a chance to reel in the #1 ranked recruit in his class. I realize class quality goes up and down, and no one is going to be a Zion, but if RJ Barrett is indicative of what we are getting if we land PBJ, then DAMN.

Pete Nance was the #60 player in the country - just see what he looks like today. We have Beran coming in next year who was rated higher. And then the three 2020 kids are #1, #23 and #28 respectively. This ain't your Carmody NU program folks.

Who cares? It drives admissions across the board and is wildly entertaining.

I wish we could sell that to Schapiro and the Trustees because it’s a clear-cut fact. Sports success pays dividends everywhere within a university. We could lower our standards to maybe 3 shades brighter than ND (to borrow a tooth metaphor) and, yes, maybe even graduate 2 or 3 fewer athletes per decade, but that extra money and sports prestige could mean better educating tens of thousands of other “regular” students. And even with that, the athletes who can’t hack it at NU would still be college material. Just not NU material. And when they transferred, they’d still have a very good chance at graduating. I think that’s reasonable.

Reactions: Kat burglar
I wish we could sell that to Schapiro and the Trustees because it’s a clear-cut fact. Sports success pays dividends everywhere within a university. We could lower our standards to maybe 3 shades brighter than ND (to borrow a tooth metaphor) and, yes, maybe even graduate 2 or 3 fewer athletes per decade, but that extra money and sports prestige could mean better educating tens of thousands of other “regular” students. And even with that, the athletes who can’t hack it at NU would still be college material. Just not NU material. And when they transferred, they’d still have a very good chance at graduating. I think that’s reasonable.

Unless Northwestern expands facilities, sports are not going to result in better educating "tens of thousands" of "regular" students (by which I take it you mean the students who actually attend the university for its stated purpose. It is to be hoped that can be accomplished by the multi-billion-dollar endowment. I have no problem with some breaks for athletes, or for that matter other students from under-represented groups, but I have no desire to see NU become "one and done" U.

13 years is the minimum.
giphy.gif

3 shades brighter than ND is pretty low when it comes to football. I know a great receiver in the past 8 years that got into ND with 1.9 gpa and a sub 20 ACT. Ha!

Not sure NU would go for that

Reactions: mikewebb68
I don't suppose that anybody actually knows how these 3 were/are in the classroom...

Oh, and Duke looked far more human against Army. Defense is not Duke's strong suit. The 3 had 75 of their points, not that far from all of them. Hmmm..

Unless Northwestern expands facilities, sports are not going to result in better educating "tens of thousands" of "regular" students (by which I take it you mean the students who actually attend the university for its stated purpose. It is to be hoped that can be accomplished by the multi-billion-dollar endowment. I have no problem with some breaks for athletes, or for that matter other students from under-represented groups, but I have no desire to see NU become "one and done" U.

The tens of thousands assumed a few thousand graduates every year, over multiple decades. That’s tens of thousands. I didn’t say “per year”. And who said anything about “one and done”? Even if we take a few kids here and there that they can’t handle the academics, they’d still be college-worthy, transfer and be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT