ADVERTISEMENT

Duke in trouble? Zion took $400K in benefits and was ineligible

They’ll put UNC-Wilmington on probation.
Yeah given all the evidence that emerged from the recent bribery trials and the fact that NO head coach at any of the offending schools lost their jobs, I’d say it will be a miracle if any significant action is taken against Duke.

it’s a court filing not a verdict. The title of the article seems like click bait
Perhaps with that article, but there’s another lawsuit in Florida that Zion is fighting tooth-and-nail not to testify in. They may even depose Mike K when allowed. I fail to see how this is a good look for Duke:

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bas...earns-full-stay-wont-need-to-discuss-benefits

Ford’s attorneys countered by filing suit in Florida. Her case has included a request for admission that asked Williamson to confirm that he and his family received money, gifts and other benefits to play at a Nike school, specifically Duke. Ford’s lawyers also hinted that they may attempt to depose Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski over the alleged illegal benefits.

When Williamson’s legal team received a temporary stay, preventing him from being required to respond to the request, Ford’s lawyers filed another motion, accusing him of receiving cars and expensive housing at Duke, as well as demanding cash payments from Nike.

According to Williamson's lawyer:

Klein said in a letter to Pittman that a Google search revealed that Duric "purportedly attempted to defraud [Dallas Mavericks player] Luka Doncic ... using a scheme in which he forged Doncic's and his mother's signatures on a contract."

"The signatures on the documents you attach are also clearly fraudulent," Klein wrote in the letter. "The signature on the purported agreement between Maximum Management Group and Mr. Williamson does not match Mr. Williamson's signature on the Agreement he signed with your clients. And the signatures of Lee Anderson and Mr. Williamson on the Letter of Declaration are also inauthentic, as made clear by the fact that they are highly pixelated in comparison to the remainder of the document, and there is a break in the line beneath the 'Z' in Mr. Williamson's name where the signature was superimposed onto the document."

So maybe not...

Perhaps with that article, but there’s another lawsuit in Florida that Zion is fighting tooth-and-nail not to testify in. They may even depose Mike K when allowed. I fail to see how this is a good look for Duke:

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bas...earns-full-stay-wont-need-to-discuss-benefits

Ford’s attorneys countered by filing suit in Florida. Her case has included a request for admission that asked Williamson to confirm that he and his family received money, gifts and other benefits to play at a Nike school, specifically Duke. Ford’s lawyers also hinted that they may attempt to depose Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski over the alleged illegal benefits.

When Williamson’s legal team received a temporary stay, preventing him from being required to respond to the request, Ford’s lawyers filed another motion, accusing him of receiving cars and expensive housing at Duke, as well as demanding cash payments from Nike.

it’s never good to be facing litigation. But that is far from saying what is claimed is actually true. Our legal system is sadly a clown show. That is not a political view it’s simply a lamentation about an unfortunate fact. I’ve witnessed it myself several times.

Reactions: docrugby1
it’s never good to be facing litigation. But that is far from saying what is claimed is actually true. Our legal system is sadly a clown show. That is not a political view it’s simply a lamentation about an unfortunate fact. I’ve witnessed it myself several times.
Wrong! The legal system is not a clown show and that statement simply reflects your ignorance. My guess is you've had no legal training whatsoever, but were simply disappointed in the outcome of some litigation. It's the NCAA that operates the clown show.

If we're voting, I'm going with both being clown shows.
Well, then you would be wrong too as it applies to the legal system. It is our legal system that protects everyone's rights in our great democratic republic. Perhaps you would prefer the Chinese, Russian, or Cuban systems, which are the countries where The NCAA should set up shop.

Well, then you would be wrong too as it applies to the legal system. It is our legal system that protects everyone's rights in our great democratic republic. Perhaps you would prefer the Chinese, Russian, or Cuban systems, which are the countries where The NCAA should set up shop.

If you haven't experienced the brokenness of our legal system, count your blessings. Not saying it couldn't be worse, but there are aspects that are definitely broken.

Reactions: Fitz51
If you haven't experienced the brokenness of our legal system, count your blessings. Not saying it couldn't be worse, but there are aspects that are definitely broken.
There might be a reason that we have a famous center on wrongful convictions:

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/legalclinic/wrongfulconvictions/

But to bring it back on topic: it was miraculous how Duke starting landing all of the best one-and-dones after swearing them off for years. Big-time sanctions may be looming if Zion’s or their other big recruits are proven to have taken big bucks to play there.

saying we are better than Russia and China just about sums it up.

Reactions: NUCat320
There might be a reason that we have a famous center on wrongful convictions:

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/legalclinic/wrongfulconvictions/

But to bring it back on topic: it was miraculous how Duke starting landing all of the best one-and-dones after swearing them off for years. Big-time sanctions may be looming if Zion’s or their other big recruits are proven to have taken big bucks to play there.
I will believe it when I see it. The big time programs never seem to be held accountable. Just look at N. Carolina after the tutoring scandal. They always manage to find plausible deniability.

I've been practicing law for 51 years and have not experienced the so-called "brokenness of our legal system." Can't imagine what your bad experience might have been, but I seriously doubt it was the fault of the legal system.

I've been practicing law for 51 years and have not experienced the so-called "brokenness of our legal system." Can't imagine what your bad experience might have been, but I seriously doubt it was the fault of the legal system.

I've no doubt that you, and many others, have served our country well in your capacity. I do believe it is largely a good system that I'm thankful for. My thoughts about what is broken won't be resolved by a thread on this forum. I'll refrain from further comments on it and simply say, thank you for your service to the legal system. I'm sure you have reason to be proud.

I've no doubt that you, and many others, have served our country well in your capacity. I do believe it is largely a good system that I'm thankful for. My thoughts about what is broken won't be resolved by a thread on this forum. I'll refrain from further comments on it and simply say, thank you for your service to the legal system. I'm sure you have reason to be proud.
Good post! Peace brother.

I will believe it when I see it. The big time programs never seem to be held accountable. Just look at N. Carolina after the tutoring scandal. They always manage to find plausible deniability.
This exactly. Duke MBB is bigger than the NCAA. Nothing will happen. Nothing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT