ADVERTISEMENT

Duke

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
NU announced that the game in Durham will kick off at noon EDT. Just absurd IMHO. September 9 in NC is still summer. Ridiculous to be playing football at noon. I was going to go but will stay home in Winston-Salem and watch in air conditioned comfort on my comfy schumfy couch with some of my favorite adult beverages.

Are you serious or did you miss the sarcasm font?

To a Floridian September in NC is like winter.

I was there in 2008 and in 2015. The first time was when the hurricane went through that morning and the humidity level was off the charts. The second time was extremely hot and humid. Both times were a lot hotter and more uncomfortable than in South Florida.Bring a hat to the game and hydrate.

I was there in 2008 and in 2015. The first time was when the hurricane went through that morning and the humidity level was off the charts. The second time was extremely hot and humid. Both times were a lot hotter and more uncomfortable than in South Florida.Bring a hat to the game and hydrate.
I suffered (climatically) at both of these games, but I would argue that the 2012 opening day game in the Syracuse Carrier Dome was worse. Dead air, 95 degrees. But Venric Mark sure looked good.

I suffered (climatically) at both of these games, but I would argue that the 2012 opening day game in the Syracuse Carrier Dome was worse. Dead air, 95 degrees. But Venric Mark sure looked good.
How well I remember that one, but at least we won it and had a fun tailgate experience! Will you and your much better half be in Evanston this year?

What the good people at Syracuse lacked in foresight, ("We won't need a/c in upstate New York.") , they made up for in irony. ("It's not like the Dome is being sponsored by an HVAC manufacturer...")

The Dome is stultifying nine months out of the year.

Is Duke trying to take advantage of being used to the heat and humidity by starting the game at midday? We "yankees" might cramp up/weaken/tire easier etc etc when exposed to the high temps at that time of the year. I'd probably do the same if I were the blue devils. We beat Stanford convincingly two years ago with the help of starting the game early. Who knows? I still hope we clobber the Dukies again this Fall.

Is Duke trying to take advantage of being used to the heat and humidity by starting the game at midday? We "yankees" might cramp up/weaken/tire easier etc etc when exposed to the high temps at that time of the year. I'd probably do the same if I were the blue devils. We beat Stanford convincingly two years ago with the help of starting the game early. Who knows? I still hope we clobber the Dukies again this Fall.

Don't know if you're kidding or not, but the game time is strictly because of the television network. ESPNU wants the game

September games should be in the evening. That said, the 2008 night game was a steambath. It seemed like the players struggled more with the heat and humidity that year than they did in 2015.

I struggled much more in 2015. I will never go without breakfast or food again on a hot day.

And from what I could recall in between waiting in line a full 15 full minutes to use one of the construction site port-o-san commodes and wringing-out the sweat-soaked hotel towel I had draped around my sweltering neck/head, the visiting team (the 'Cats in this particular case) were forced to walk about a quarter mile uphill from the visitor's lockerroom which was located in another building outside the stadium to enter the Dookie stadium brefore the game's opening whistle. Of course, the Dookie AD stated that this situation was temporary due to the ongoing stadium renovations taking place at that time. But then again, the Dooklie basketball venue, Cameron Indoor, was a short walk from the north portals of the football stadium, however, the Dookie powers-that-be refused to allow the pigskin 'Cats access to that venue's locker rooms rather than forcing the visiting team to use that detached locker room. That damn uphill hike was repeated at halftime as well. Bottom line: the 'Cats nearly dropped that game to the Blue Deviled Eggs because they were forced to make those 2 crazy energy trapping jaunts to & from the temporary visitor's football locker room. My opinion of the Dookies' sense of fair play was permanently altered to dead red negative just because of the conditions Fitz & his troops had to endure that evening.

The Duke leads the league in saves, strikeouts per inning, and most hit batsmen. This guy threw at his own kid in a father-son game.

And from what I could recall in between waiting in line a full 15 full minutes to use one of the construction site port-o-san commodes and wringing-out the sweat-soaked hotel towel I had draped around my sweltering neck/head, the visiting team (the 'Cats in this particular case) were forced to walk about a quarter mile uphill from the visitor's lockerroom which was located in another building outside the stadium to enter the Dookie stadium brefore the game's opening whistle. Of course, the Dookie AD stated that this situation was temporary due to the ongoing stadium renovations taking place at that time. But then again, the Dooklie basketball venue, Cameron Indoor, was a short walk from the north portals of the football stadium, however, the Dookie powers-that-be refused to allow the pigskin 'Cats access to that venue's locker rooms rather than forcing the visiting team to use that detached locker room. That damn uphill hike was repeated at halftime as well. Bottom line: the 'Cats nearly dropped that game to the Blue Deviled Eggs because they were forced to make those 2 crazy energy trapping jaunts to & from the temporary visitor's football locker room. My opinion of the Dookies' sense of fair play was permanently altered to dead red negative just because of the conditions Fitz & his troops had to endure that evening.

While that walk probably sucked, basketball locker rooms are not a viable alternative for a football team. Not nearly enough space.

Could also have been Duke's payback for having to use Ryan Field's visiting locker rooms. Those things are AWFUL.

That locker room set up was there in 2008 and if I was temporary then one would thinkthat would have been changed by 2015. NU was shuttling players back and forth using a cart, while attaching IV's to many. Can't believe that the ACC allows then to do this. When and if Duke comes back to Evanston NU should assign them the locker rooms at Patton.

How well I remember that one, but at least we won it and had a fun tailgate experience! Will you and your much better half be in Evanston this year?
Hi! Now that the Cats have two East Coast games this year, we'll do Duke and Maryland, but forgo Evanston. By the way, I well remember you and I regaling Nick Van Hoose's father, Roger, at the bar of the Syracuse hotel before that game. He was a most pleasant guy. How about you and Mrs. Chores -- Duke or Maryland?

That locker room set up was there in 2008 and if I was temporary then one would thinkthat would have been changed by 2015. NU was shuttling players back and forth using a cart, while attaching IV's to many. Can't believe that the ACC allows then to do this. When and if Duke comes back to Evanston NU should assign them the locker rooms at Patton.

I really believe that they did some major work on the stadium after you were there in 2008, and things were greatly improved two years ago. I know they have done some additional work since then, and I believe it is primarily on the home side of the field, like some upper level seating or something. at least the team seem to be much smarter about hydrating the last time, and despite the brutal heat we did not notice a lot of players cramping or having problems. I am still glad that I was sitting in the stands and not running around on the field. Many other people are also glad that I was not running around on the field.

Hi! Now that the Cats have two East Coast games this year, we'll do Duke and Maryland, but forgo Evanston. By the way, I well remember you and I regaling Nick Van Hoose's father, Roger, at the bar of the Syracuse hotel before that game. He was a most pleasant guy. How about you and Mrs. Chores -- Duke or Maryland?

Perhaps instead of asking him politely you should just tell him to get his butt to the Duke game.

Outside chance of Maryland, but Duke is definitely out. As for the Van Hoose encounter, you might recall that both Nick's father Roger and Uncle Dennis, had to put up with the two of us. From that time forward, and for the next 4 years, the entire Van Hoose family spent both the pre-game and the post-game at our tailgate. Nick and his buddies on the team also came over for the post-game as well.

Outside chance of Maryland, but Duke is definitely out. As for the Van Hoose encounter, you might recall that both Nick's father Roger and Uncle Dennis, had to put up with the two of us. From that time forward, and for the next 4 years, the entire Van Hoose family spent both the pre-game and the post-game at our tailgate. Nick and his buddies on the team also came over for the post-game as well.

You might remember that the entire Van Hoose clan, about 10 or 12 of them, came to the purple party in Jacksonville in 2012. Roger said he preferred to party with us instead of attending a dinner that the team parents had at the same time. What a wonderful group of people they are!

Dude, I'm serious. I sweltered in Durham last time and swore I'd never attend another game south of the Mason-Dixon line in September at noon.
I spent lots of time at Ft Bragg in the summer I don't recall air conditioning

It was hot in Durham last time but the beer kept things cool. Thanks to FA for setting up a great time.

It was hot in Durham last time but the beer kept things cool. Thanks to FA for setting up a great time.

Are you going this time? I really wonder how the northwestern crowd for this game will compare to the crowd two years ago. Despite the fact that the outlook for this season appears quite favorable , So far it seems like there is a little less enthusiasm for a road trip. However it is still quite early. The last time most of the people I heard from did not seem to make up their mind until about July. regardless, I am about to book a place for a Friday night dinner that can accommodate a very large group.

Are you going this time? I really wonder how the northwestern crowd for this game will compare to the crowd two years ago. Despite the fact that the outlook for this season appears quite favorable , So far it seems like there is a little less enthusiasm for a road trip. However it is still quite early. The last time most of the people I heard from did not seem to make up their mind until about July. regardless, I am about to book a place for a Friday night dinner that can accommodate a very large group.

Methinks you might have the same problem that some bowl games face in that it's hard to get people excited about going back to the same place in the span of a couple years.

Methinks you might have the same problem that some bowl games face in that it's hard to get people excited about going back to the same place in the span of a couple years.

That is quite possibly true. Have you ever been to Duke? The fact is that it is a very pretty place, not a very expensive trip, and fairly accessible to our fans from not only the Chicago area but the Southeast and the middle Atlantic. A whole bunch of folks came to the game from Virginia Maryland and Washington DC. A whole bunch came from the Atlanta area. I know of several who came from a little further to the north east like Pennsylvania. So it is a pretty nice location.Pretty much everyone who went to Duke game into thousand eight and 2015 enjoyed the trip despite not very accommodating weather

Another impression that I had from two visits to Duke is that a lot of northwestern fans seem to enjoy the place because it reminds them a lot of us. The stadium is not overpowering, almost friendly, seats somewhere in the neighborhood of about 42,000, I am just guessing. The campus is very pretty and reminds folks a bit of what we used to look like before we started cramming buildings that do not match into every available space.The Fanbase is sort of like us, A smaller academic school with a history of being beaten up by big state schools, a lot of the David and Goliath thing, so the fans that I met on both trips were all very nice without an attitude that we sometimes run into at other venues.
I had some very similar feelings when we went to Vanderbilt in 2010, and we had a really great group of folks at that game wearing purple.

I want to echo FloridAlum's last comment about trips to Duke: they are a LOT of fun, and they're a fantastic way to see a 'Cats game without having to go all the way out to Chicago! Since I live in the WashDC area, it's an easy 4-hour trip each way, hotels are very nice (and reasonably-priced) and the Dookies tend to be gracious hosts. The BBQ gatherings organized by FloridAlum are an added bonus that should NOT be missed!!!

Yes, the weather is sometimes hot as blazes, and we have had to dodge the occasional hurricane, but overall I would give high marks to our "Duke Experiences" and we are definitely on a roll with our latest spate of Wildcat Victories!

Biggest tip I can give anyone who is thinking about going down for a Duke game: GET AN EARLY START BEFORE NOON ON FRIDAY (in this case, meaning September 8). If you happen to reach the Richmond, VA area before the Friday afternoon traffic turns into a massive parking lot, it will make ALL the difference in the enjoyment of your trip! You will arrive in Durham by mid-afternoon on Friday, enjoy a fantastic Purple Party, and experience MUCH less stress!

Second-biggest tip: stay at the Doubletree on Meridian Parkway south of Durham if you want a VERY nice all-suite hotel. It is especially nice for families and small groups of NU fans, and at under $100 nightly it is a STEAL of a fantastic place to stay. (Very convenient to I-40 and the RDU airport, and only about 20 mins south of Wallace-Wade Stadium.)

Finally, DO NOT MISS FloridAlum's "Discount Ticket Block" and his "Purple Party" on the evening before the game!! These two things will add GREATLY to your overall enjoyment of the "Duke Experience" and you will LOVE the camaraderie of sitting (and sharing a nice meal!) with a bevy of fellow Wildcat fans. I promise you will not regret it if you go!!

GO FELINES!!!! ;)

Reactions: NUAlum78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT