ADVERTISEMENT

E. Elliott - John Moten

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
Don't know if people realize this, but John Moten took over for Elliott after he graduated from John Burroughs in St. Louis. One question I have is if we ever tried to recruit Elliott?

Burroughs is an academic focused prep school in St. Louis and I would assume that 95% of the athletes there would be recruitable by Northwestern.

Yep, NU offered but was never really in the picture. He committed early, in April of 2012, 10 months before signing day. He was a four-star, Rivals100 prospect, the top player in Missouri and a much bigger recruit than Moten.

Ezekiel Elliott player page

He was in full beast mode yesterday. He did have some really nice holes to run through but they still required patience and vision that are exceptional for an underclassman. The toughness in breaking tackles was something else. I see JJ doing similar things next year with some added strength (recognizing he is a different type of runner).
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't recall JJ getting that many big openings in a single game. I did miss a couple of games.

Why wasn't Jackson more highly recruited?

As a 4 star and with so much accomplished in High School, why wasn't Jackson offered by the "Top" schools?

Re: Why wasn't Jackson more highly recruited?

Probably because he doesn't have elite speed.

Re: Why wasn't Jackson more highly recruited?

Originally posted by Turk:
As a 4 star and with so much accomplished in High School, why wasn't Jackson offered by the "Top" schools?
Given his build, most "top-flight" programs were looking at him as a cornerback. In combination, his lack of elite size and speed to go with his preference to play running back kept him off the radar for many "top-flight" schools.

Kid has looked like a 5 star recruit, 1st round NFL draft pick the last month or so. Absolutely awesome.

Originally posted by Lou V:

Yep, NU offered but was never really in the picture. He committed early, in April of 2012, 10 months before signing day. He was a four-star, Rivals100 prospect, the top player in Missouri and a much bigger recruit than Moten.
An interesting note on Elliott's recruitment.

Meyer backed away on recruiting 5* RB Green which Elliot and his family really appreciated and played a big role in him committing to the Bucknuts.

Green's offer list is simply mind-boggling (ended up at Michigan).

https://rivals.yahoo.com/northwestern/football/recruiting/player-Derrick-Green-109982;_ylt=AsOMFKs5B3KR09HqJJ6SHkwttJB4

Just shows that Meyer really knows how to recruit and knows what he wants (*-rating notwithstanding).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT