ADVERTISEMENT

Early Big Ten Coaching Carousel Predictions

GECat2

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2012
Since our season is on the crapper, I thought I would start a new thread. Below are my thought on what coaches will say and which will go. What say you??

Retirement:
DAntonio (MSU) 100% probability.

Leaving program for greener pastures:
Allen (IU) 60% probability.
Fleck (MN) 30% probability unless FSU or USC offers then 90+% probability.
Franklin (PS) 10% probability unless FSU of USC offers - then 60% probability.

Hot Seat:
Locksley (MD).

Rutgers Opening: Who the f*#k cares.

Everyone else is safe.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I wonder how many years Ferentz has left.

I talked to a Hawkeyes fan today who was actually cheering for the Gophs over the weekend — cheering for the story and the excitement — because he’s bored of winning 7 to 11 games every year, and because he’s jealous of the energy that Matt Campbell has brought to Ames.

(sorry for the immediate threadjack )

I talked to a Hawkeyes fan today who was actually cheering for the Gophs over the weekend — cheering for the story and the excitement — because he’s bored of winning 7 to 11 games every year, and because he’s jealous of the energy that Matt Campbell has brought to Ames.

That's sad on several levels.

Locksley is not on the hot seat after 1 year. The DC area coaches love him. I won't be surprised in a few years he isn't there, if hasn't already run afoul of the NCAA.

Tom Allen, with one year of success, is not more likely to depart, or be wanted more than Fleck or Franklin. The latter 2 have had sustained success at 2 stops each and have active agents who know how to work the game on their behalf.

Since our season is on the crapper, I thought I would start a new thread. Below are my thought on what coaches will say and which will go. What say you??

Retirement:

Hot Seat:
Locksley (MD).

Everyone else is safe.
Why is D’Anotonio 100%? I realize he has put himself on the hot seat mainly for not addressing the offensive issues they have had recently. Sound familiar? Is it the off field issues?

Didn’t he make a playoff? If the philosophy that some adhere to on this board about wins over an extended period carries to MSU, he stays. If anything he just says f&#$ it and quits. Ironic that the biggest game of the season for the Coaching carousel might have been Illinois versus MSU. Saved one Coach and doomed another.

I don’t see any moves outside of the Rutgers one that already happened.

Why is D’Anotonio 100%? I realize he has put himself on the hot seat mainly for not addressing the offensive issues they have had recently. Sound familiar? Is it the off field issues?

Didn’t he make a playoff? If the philosophy that some adhere to on this board about wins over an extended period carries to MSU, he stays. If anything he just says f&#$ it and quits. Ironic that the biggest game of the season for the Coaching carousel might have been Illinois versus MSU. Saved one Coach and doomed another.

I don’t see any moves outside of the Rutgers one that already happened.

D’Anatonio is safe, IMO; they’re just frustrated up there. Also, I think Lovie saved it with the Wisconsin win.

Reactions: Titanium999
D’Anatonio is safe, IMO; they’re just frustrated up there. Also, I think Lovie saved it with the Wisconsin win.
Lovie has done a nice job. If they went back in the tank after Wisconsin he would have been in trouble. Illinois needs to give him a couple more years, he’s trying to turn around the Titanic and he’s got it partially there.

While Ferentz moved into the top 5 all-time for B1G wins.

Lovie has done a nice job. If they went back in the tank after Wisconsin he would have been in trouble. Illinois needs to give him a couple more years, he’s trying to turn around the Titanic and he’s got it partially there.
Illinois will have five big ten wins!

Retirement:

Hot Seat:
Locksley (MD).

Everyone else is safe.
Fleck just signed a 8 year extension at 4M+ a year

....which will keep him at Minnesota for another year, maybe two.

The salary won’t keep him, but the $10 million buyout (through 12/31/20 after which date it drops to $4.5m) will chase off some potential suitors unless they are completely convinced Fleck is their guy.

Agree that Allen stays at IU and that Dantonio stays in EL. If you’ve paid attention to the politics of MSU governance over the past year, there is zero chance Dantonio leaves unless completely his own decision.

Dantonio seems to want to stay, even if many of their fans want him gone.

Nationally, with FSU paying a huge Taggert buy-out, that's why Bob Stoops makes so much sense...no buy-out required. Seems unlikely they would be able to pony up another $10 million for Fleck or whatever Franklin's is. Franklin to USC seems to be a hot rumor these days.

I do not get the KF fatigue by the Iowa fathful. I mean it is and forever will be IOWA! He has done a great job there considering it is freaking IOWA. 7-11 wins a year is the high water mark there. KF is a victim of his own success. And for the life of me wha tis the infatuation with Matt Campbell?? He has done a decent job but nothing in his body of work suggests he is the 2nd coming of Nick Saban. Does a nice job but is a .500 coach in a down Big 12. He won Coach of the year awards in the Big 12 because no one is giving a coach from Oklahoma the award, Texas has sucked, and the rest have been mediocre. Iowa State had a window there to be better with the league down. really think he gets all the accolades more because he is a pretty boy coach who is good on camera.

And for the life of me wha tis the infatuation with Matt Campbell?? He has done a decent job but nothing in his body of work suggests he is the 2nd coming of Nick Saban. Does a nice job but is a .500 coach in a down Big 12. He won Coach of the year awards in the Big 12 because no one is giving a coach from Oklahoma the award, Texas has sucked, and the rest have been mediocre. Iowa State had a window there to be better with the league down. really think he gets all the accolades more because he is a pretty boy coach who is good on camera.
Iowa State is a wasteland for football. He has won 8 games twice and may yet again. Last time they won that many? 2000. Last time before that? 1978. Maybe not as bad as either purple wildcat team (us/KSU) prior to our dual renaissances, but pretty darned bad.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Hearing it is a real strong possibility that there is mutual interest between Florida State and Brian Kelly. If this were to go down it will right after the Thanksgiving weekend of games

I can understand coaches leaving for a payday even after years of success at a school. The expectations and criticism are relentless. Even terrific coaches like Ferentz and Kelly, consistent winners, get beaten to a pulp. I think Urban Meyer is the master of leaving at the right time. Maybe having a medical issue is a useful excuse. Moving to a new school can be refreshing. Did not use to believe it, but even Fitz seems short tempered and in his private moments might think of greener pastures.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT