ADVERTISEMENT

Eno Benjamin Won't Come to NU

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
He did visit over spring break, but reports on Rivals indicate that Iowa is his clear preference, with Michigan lurking.

His reason for being so enamored with Iowa is Iowa's emphasis on the running game and its ability to develop pro-caliber offensive linemen (paraphrasing, but not hard to read between the lines).

This is not necessarily news to us, but it sets the bar in terms of what NU needs to do to up its recruiting of RB and QB prospects (and thus receivers too).

He did visit over spring break, but reports on Rivals indicate that Iowa is his clear preference, with Michigan lurking.

His reason for being so enamored with Iowa is Iowa's emphasis on the running game and its ability to develop pro-caliber offensive linemen (paraphrasing, but not hard to read between the lines).

This is not necessarily news to us, but it sets the bar in terms of what NU needs to do to up its recruiting of RB and QB prospects (and thus receivers too).

Nice summary of an important point Jack. While I don't see Benjamin as a serious difference maker, and would rather flip Hoback if I had a choice, the fact is we need to build an offensive identity from the inside out. I think our recent OL recruiting gives us an improved chance to do that. An Andries commitment would be another strong step in that direction. Keep building the OL, and the skill kids will follow.

GOUNUII

If he were at receiver, I might get it, but we have a running back who has been one of the leading rushers in the B1G for the past two years and probably will be again barring injury.

I don't know Jack, but IMO our RB recruiting has been exception the last 3 years. AA couldn't crack the rotation and Moten, who I think could be exceptional took the Red Shirt. Two potential studs waiting in the wings. Add in Larkin and Brown from this years class and we have nice depth.

Our OL recruiting has shifted to bigger bodies to take advantage of this. I see less and less spread in our future. We should be able to run the ball for the foreseeable future. If we could either have a few WR's emerge or recruit some more talent at this position our O will grow leaps and bounds.

Put up a better than average O with the D recruits we are bringing in and we will flourish.

It is strange for a a a RB to list 'develop pro caliber' OL among his criteria.

Not that NU has developed a significant pro pipeline anywhere, but has Iowa had a *RB* make the league since Ladell Betts?

It is strange for a a a RB to list 'develop pro caliber' OL among his criteria.

Not that NU has developed a significant pro pipeline anywhere, but has Iowa had a *RB* make the league since Ladell Betts?
Those are my words, not his (note my use of "paraphrasing" in my post). But it doesn't take a guru to see that a RB recruit of Eno's stature sees playing behind a run oriented team as a ticket to ride.

I love our backs, but I'd posit that NU is not considered a destinAtion program for top tier backs with NFL aspirations.

Those are my words, not his (note my use of "paraphrasing" in my post). But it doesn't take a guru to see that a RB recruit of Eno's stature sees playing behind a run oriented team as a ticket to ride.

I love our backs, but I'd posit that NU is not considered a destinAtion program for top tier backs with NFL aspirations.

I think that's more of a function of who we are than what offense we run. Northwestern has had quite a few successful college running backs dating back to Darnell Autry. If they go on to the NFL fine, but as long as we've got guys who can consistently put up 1,000 yards here I think running back is the least of our worries.

I think that's more of a function of who we are than what offense we run. Northwestern has had quite a few successful college running backs dating back to Darnell Autry. If they go on to the NFL fine, but as long as we've got guys who can consistently put up 1,000 yards here I think running back is the least of our worries.

While I agree with you for 2016, I think you need one quality RB recruit every year because a) guys graduate, and b) guys get hurt. You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many RBs. Just ask Iowa.

While I agree with you for 2016, I think you need one quality RB recruit every year because a) guys graduate, and b) guys get hurt. You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many RBs. Just ask Iowa.

Actually, we seem to be deep enough at RB this year that Fitz thought nothing of moving Vault out to the slot, and recruiting this year isn't done. We'll see what develops, I guess.

Nice summary of an important point Jack. While I don't see Benjamin as a serious difference maker, and would rather flip Hoback if I had a choice, the fact is we need to build an offensive identity from the inside out. I think our recent OL recruiting gives us an improved chance to do that. An Andries commitment would be another strong step in that direction. Keep building the OL, and the skill kids will follow.

GOUNUII

I agree about Benjamin. I think he is slightly overhyped and we've never seriously been in the running for him. Koback is the guy I want out of our current offers at RB and I think we have a decent shot notwithstanding that he is currently committed to Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT