ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bottom Line

GlideCat

Jan 19, 2013
I was watching a later game on ESPN and the graphic about our game came across the bottom of the screen:

"First time Northwestern has beaten a ranked team to open the season since 1995."

Seriously? That is the take-away?

Later, they added "... That year they went to the Rose Bowl." Which made it less annoying.

I was watching a later game on ESPN and the graphic about our game came across the bottom of the screen:

"First time Northwestern has beaten a ranked team to open the season since 1995."

Later, they added "... That year they went to the Rose Bowl." Which made it less annoying.

Have we even played a ranked opponent to open the season since then? Maybe once?

Classic cynical bullshit media perception bias.

Besides, what was Oklahoma ranked when we DESTROYED them in 96?

Besides, what was Oklahoma ranked when we DESTROYED them in 96?

Uh, it was actually 1997, and they sucked that year, finishing 4-8. But it was a great game. I remember seeing D'Wayne break his leg and thinking "there goes the season"...........

I liked this stat better: This was the first time we held a ranked opponent to 0 TDs since 1995 vs Wisconsin.

And I thought it was pretty impressive to hear the ESPN crew point out that in 4 of our last 5 meetings with ranked opponents we won. Not sure if that includes today's game or not.

According to ESPN on Twitter, we've now won the last four times we've been underdogs of more than 7 points:

Stanford
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Penn State

At least they clearly referenced that NU won the game there. Just saw this ESPN headline as well: "Stanford offense sputters as Northwestern kicks way to victory".

Ugh. How about "Northwestern D downright dominates the Tree" as a more accurate description? Somebody link to Rodney Dangerfield as this team ain't getting no respect!

They're setting up a narrative. Seriously. If we have a breakout season, they've already laid the groundwork for it to be a story people love. It goes with the territory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT