ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN has been cheating for 13 years to win awards

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
ESPN has been caught in a scandal involving the creation of fake names for Emmy Awards in order to honor on-air talent who were ineligible to receive awards. The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS), which oversees the Emmys, discovered the scheme and foiled it. According to The Athletic, ESPN had been operating this scheme since 2010, by obtaining awards for fake individuals, re-engraving the statuettes, and delivering them to their on-air personalities. Stars such as Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Chris Fowler, Desmond Howard, and Samantha Ponder were among those who received the fake Emmys. However, the on-air talent was reportedly not aware that the Emmys were not real.

I feel like it's cruel to inform Lee Corso about this.
I wish they would take him off the air. Not because I hate him…but I’d rather be left with the memory of him at his very best rather than the confused, shadow of a man they parade out there. I think it’s doing him a disservice.

I wish they would take him off the air. Not because I hate him…but I’d rather be left with the memory of him at his very best rather than the confused, shadow of a man they parade out there. I think it’s doing him a disservice.
It is, but talking about doing something where everybody agrees it's the right move and actually doing it are two very different things.

Once again, this goes into the Stupid Bureaucrat Crap pile. I don't blame ESPN one bit.

College Game Day legitimately won awards for 'best produced' show, and wanted some of the credit to go its on-air talent. But the morons at the Emmy's said the award can only go to Producers, Associate Producers, Assistant Producers, Assistant to the Assistant Producers, and Associate Assistant to the Associate Assistant Assistant's Producer. So given the EMMY's bs, ESPN decided to make up some garbage fake names with fake producers titles to get extra trophies so that their on-air talent could also RIGHTLY be rewarded for producing a great product. Dumb rules lead to this type of stuff. No harm, no foul. Carry on.

It is, but talking about doing something where everybody agrees it's the right move and actually doing it are two very different things.

I actually am intrigued by the business and humanitarian decision of keeping Corso on the air. Everyone can see that he's one step from the dementia home, but ESPN seems to be consciously saying...

(1) Hey, old guy shouting "get off my lawn", you are an important viewer and we are showcasing guys like you

and

(2) Old people, even as their mental faculties leave them, have value and deserve to be seen and heard (and not shunned and hidden away)

It's both a trainwreck and a cause for a moment of reflection. Don't feel that often in sports talk.

Reactions: TheC and NUCat320
When Corso really declines, they can set up a fake GameDay studio in the back lot of Espn, surround it with a bunch of cardboard cutouts of fans, and tell Lee that he’s hosting the program himself. They can stick him in a chair in front of a fake camera, and tell him to go at it.

• Haha
Reactions: JimStarr777
When Corso really declines, they can set up a fake GameDay studio in the back lot of Espn, surround it with a bunch of cardboard cutouts of fans, and tell Lee that he’s hosting the program himself. They can stick him in a chair in front of a fake camera, and tell him to go at it.
They need to take him off the air before that. The man shouldn't be degraded once the dementia gets really bad. Lee was a great host for Game Day, but he is in serious decline and should be spared any embarrassment. Game Day is getting long in the tooth as is anyway. Herbstreit, the ultimate Buckeye homer, is annoying as hell anymore.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Once again, this goes into the Stupid Bureaucrat Crap pile. I don't blame ESPN one bit.

College Game Day legitimately won awards for 'best produced' show, and wanted some of the credit to go its on-air talent. But the morons at the Emmy's said the award can only go to Producers, Associate Producers, Assistant Producers, Assistant to the Assistant Producers, and Associate Assistant to the Associate Assistant Assistant's Producer. So given the EMMY's bs, ESPN decided to make up some garbage fake names with fake producers titles to get extra trophies so that their on-air talent could also RIGHTLY be rewarded for producing a great product. Dumb rules lead to this type of stuff. No harm, no foul. Carry on.
Another words these on air personalities got a participation trophy.

Another words these on air personalities got a participation trophy.
Nothing wrong with those. Came across my son's and took a good look. Name, team and year. Just a souvenir. No made-up award or anything. If you're against keepsakes I can't join that fight

Nah. You’re off on this one. It’s a category meant to honor producers; on-air talent had their own chance to win Emmys in other categories. Why should they elbow into this one? The Oscars are the same way. One wouldn’t want to see a producer share a Best Actor award just because they cast the actor, and Best Picture is an award meant to recognize the efforts the producers make in developing the project from script to screen and doesn’t go to non-producer actors. ESPN wanted to give their on-air talent participation trophies and sh*t on their producers in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT