ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN radio all over Arkansas recruiting

mybrotha

Jul 21, 2011
Our boy Brett is sending a top recruits girlfriend letters trying to entice her her sway her boyfriend to play football for the Hog's! This guy has no ethics at all.

You've heard the expression "happy as a pig (hog) in sh*t," no doubt. What we have here is a pig in sh*t. It's a perfect match.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with this. It's weird, but it's recruiting and to my knowledge not actually against any rules. Now...the car he's probably buying this girl is a different story...

Is sending a letter to a prospect's girlfriend worse than sending a kid's mom a mother's day card? I don't like BB, but let's go at him for things that are actually bad.

Ethical and legal are two different concepts, albeit frequently mutually inclusive. What may appear as marginally sleazy practices are oftentimes revealed as severe ethical lapses upon closer examination. That this coach is selling a recruit on continuing his relationship with a female companion doesn't seem as objectionable as Barnett's Colorado program - to cite only one example known by most here - promoting sexual favors during campus visits as a recruiting tool. But, just as you'd want to look under the hood of a car before buying from a used car dealer (apologies to RealCatFan, I meant pre-owned dealer), Arkansas' recruiting practices on a whole deserve a full audit.

Cat, your comments about Barnett just invited a stirring defense of Barnett by Gladeskat. To Follow.

Originally posted by Cat In The Cradle:
Ethical and legal are two different concepts, albeit frequently mutually inclusive. What may appear as marginally sleazy practices are oftentimes revealed as severe ethical lapses upon closer examination. That this coach is selling a recruit on continuing his relationship with a female companion doesn't seem as objectionable as Barnett's Colorado program - to cite only one example known by most here - promoting sexual favors during campus visits as a recruiting tool. But, just as you'd want to look under the hood of a car before buying from a used car dealer (apologies to RealCatFan, I meant pre-owned dealer), Arkansas' recruiting practices on a whole deserve a full audit.
For a guy who passes himself off as articulate and knowledgable, you sure don't know squat about Barnett and the CU extortion attempt. Did you realize that three investigations into the CU "scandal" found that the CU players and staff did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING improper. The so-called victims were the only ones who broke any laws.

You'd be much closer to the truth if these players' girlfriends staged free booze and sex parties and lured in Arkansas staff so they could take pictures of them, and then extort the AK staff for full ride scholarships and more.

This post was edited on 4/15 10:01 AM by Gladeskat

Originally posted by realcatfan:
Is sending a letter to a prospect's girlfriend worse than sending a kid's mom a mother's day card? I don't like BB, but let's go at him for things that are actually bad.
She took a picture of 11 letters & tweeted it out! Not one but 11. What I am saying is that this is whats visible, what's not is all the other BS and illegal things they do.

If Fitz got a 5-star recruit by writing a letter to the recruit's girlfriend, I wouldn't be complaining.

Letters to the dad, mom, girlfriend, recruits coach, boyfriend -- who cares-- unless it's written that letters are a no/no. Gosh, we are talking SEC - - I thought Brett made the drop $$ and got caught.

and, Go Cats !!

No way do I claim knowledge or articulation on football related subjects; I probably ask more questions and make more typogrpahical errors than anyone on this board.

I've always been a big fan of Gary Barnett so I'm actually grateful for your response. If you review the totality of my inventory of morphemes, however, you'll notice that I don't accuse Barnett directly and use the relatively benign term of "promote" over more malignant offerings such as "entice," "offer" "lure," or whatever. Coupled with the recollections of mainstream media reports from a decade ago (best summed up in the attached USA Today timeline), I do not believe using Barnett's Colorado program as a slippery slope example of ethical lapses was irresponsible. And I have not heard to date that the Colorado investigation was tainted with the same politically motivated brushstrokes a la the more recent Duke and UVA vintage (which were isolated incidents in themselves) .

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2004-02-19-timeline_x.htm

This post was edited on 4/15 1:50 PM by Cat In The Cradle

Timeline

Originally posted by Cat In The Cradle:
No way do I claim knowledge or articulation on football related subjects; I probably ask more questions and make more typogrpahical errors than anyone on this board.

I've always been a big fan of Gary Barnett so I'm actually grateful for your response. If you review the totality of my inventory of morphemes, however, you'll notice that I don't accuse Barnett directly and use the relatively benign term of "promote" over more malignant offerings such as "entice," "offer" "lure," or whatever. Coupled with the recollections of mainstream media reports from a decade ago (best summed up in the attached USA Today timeline), I do not believe using Barnett's Colorado program as a slippery slope example of ethical lapses was irresponsible. And I have not heard to date that the Colorado investigation was tainted with the same politically motivated brushstrokes a la the more recent Duke and UVA vintage (which were isolated incidents in themselves) .

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2004-02-19-timeline_x.htm
I didn't bother looking at your timeline because it's probably more "Dirty Laundry" crapola. USA Today...sheesh! To even suggest Barnett did anything wrong is irresponsible, but I assume you're as ignorant of the so-called 'scandal' as most folks who get their info from talk radio, ESPN, and the drive-by media. Nobody has the balls or the character to apologize to CU, Barnett, and his players!

Read Bruce Plaskett's "Buffaloed" (see link) if you want to know what actually went on at CU! He was the only journalist to look at the plaintiffs and DA and discovered their orchestration of the media against CU and Barnett for financial and political payoffs! It's scary to see just how much someone can be destroyed by political correctness run amuck and others greed.

The mainstream media is too shallow and afraid of embarrassment to report what actually happened at Colorado. Fans in Colorado know that the scandal was nothing more than an extortion attempt by drunken bimbo-sluts, and that UC and Barnett did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IMPROPER. If he had anything improper, he would have been fired! CU wanted for the negative press to end! Think about that! Instead, they found a very squeaky clean program run by a strict disciplinarian. THERE WERE ZERO ETHICAL LAPSES!!! ZERO!!! Only one unfortunate sound bite about a lousy, distracting kicker who was lying to the media.

If you're looking for ethical lapses, then look toward the drunken bimbo-slut "victims" who hosted drunken orgies, gave alcohol to minors, passed out bushels of condoms, falsely accused black CU athletes of crimes whipping up racial hatred on campus, lied to the media about their chasteness to hide their sluttiness, lied to the legal system in depositions, and tried to steer media and public opinion by hiring a public relations firm to distribute irrelevant, slanderous news stories.

This post was edited on 4/15 2:36 PM by Gladeskat

Bruce Plaskett's book "Buffaloed"

I will read it - assuming my local library network has it or it's available elsewhere at no cost - and get back to you on this very thread. Your link, which I did take time to review, yields only conclusory assertions from an author unfamiliar to me. To the extent this publication undermines conventional wisdom, I am surprised hardly anyone in the non-mainstream media community has opined about it - you know, the same anti-Treyvon Martin and Ferguson, anti-climate change, pro-Duke lax scribes, one of the only exceptions being a Washington Times write up that basically parrots the link you offered here. In the meantime, we can go on about how irresponsible it is to suggest the irresponsibility of the irresponsible, but it's pointless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT