ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Sucks

ESPN sucks part 2? Must be listening to all the posters that are lamenting NU’d departures. Those traditional powerhouses of Liberty and Coastal Carolina must be bringing back everyone.

isn’t the power index different than ratings?
Assume this is stat data based
Yes it always looks bad for us because we don’t blow teams out. That’s about it. I don’t know the formula but it appears biased in favor of offense. There is a grain of truth in that our style of football leaves little margin for error, see our games against MSU and OSU. So we are not a superpower but still underestimated.

Reactions: drewjin
ESPN has a burr under their saddle vis-a-vis the Cats. Not sure why, but it’s real. Best just to ignore them.

Reactions: drewjin
if you really want to see ESPN's ignorance towards NU, check out Schlabach's "Way-to-early 2021 top 25". In it, he leaves Northwestern out entirely but ranks Indiana (at 10!), Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State. Unbelievable to me that he'd take a top 10 2020 team and leave them unranked going into next season. Pathetic.

if you really want to see ESPN's ignorance towards NU, check out Schlabach's "Way-to-early 2021 top 25". In it, he leaves Northwestern out entirely but ranks Indiana (at 10!), Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State. Unbelievable to me that he'd take a top 10 2020 team and leave them unranked going into next season. Pathetic.

This is great. Just another motivation device for Fitz in the off-season.

Nu'sQB is ? Why would anyone get upset about a ranking for next year when no one knows what the roster will look like at this time

Agree the teams that were rated above us in the big 10 all have significant number of key players and starters returning and we don't

Yes I saw that too, laughed and went about my day.

Agree the teams that were rated above us in the big 10 all have significant number of key players and starters returning and we don't

OK, then let’s see if his ranking changes once NU’s roster is complete. My guess: it won’t. That said, the one qualifier I’d add here is that if Schlabach’s assessment primarily revolves around losing our GOAT DC, then although I don’t agree with his assessment, I’d be more understanding of his ranking logic.

As to Rece Davis, yes, he’s a NU supporter. In fact, he recently was on a talk radio program and was indeed complimentary about the Cats.

I think you might want to review what the other teams are losing too.

We will take a step back on D, but there is plenty of returning talent.

On O, it’s all about the QB, if we have a mess, it’s 2019. If we had adequate to good performance ( which I expect) we will be more like 2020.

R-E-L-A-X

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Not sure why everyone gets so upset about this. The rankings for this year are obviously based on a formula, and based on how the rankings came in, I would say that it's pretty evident to anyone that it's a bad formula.

For next year, I get why we aren't ranked at this point. We have a lot of questions to answer. We lose our starting QB, all of our top receivers, our two star LB's, our lockdown corner, a few defensive lineman, and a veteran safety who has started for us pretty much his entire career. We have depth, but a lot of it is unproven.

I believe we can be a good team next year, but I can't argue with someone ranking us outside the top 25 at this moment. These rankings really don't matter either.

Not sure why everyone gets so upset about this. The rankings for this year are obviously based on a formula, and based on how the rankings came in, I would say that it's pretty evident to anyone that it's a bad formula.

I can argue it. I keep hearing we lose our QB. So do half the teams in the ranking. We lose a boatload of other starters again, so go a lot of other schools.

I doesn’t bother me much, but it is still bias. The pundits conventional wisdom is NU over achieves when they win. We recruit lower ranked players and we win solely because of Fitz. Other schools get the benefit of the doubt based solely on perceived recruiting ratings. Nu was as athletic on the defensive side of the ball as anyone in the B1G outside of its champion.

For next year, I get why we aren't ranked at this point. We have a lot of questions to answer. We lose our starting QB, all of our top receivers, our two star LB's, our lockdown corner, a few defensive lineman, and a veteran safety who has started for us pretty much his entire career. We have depth, but a lot of it is unproven.

I believe we can be a good team next year, but I can't argue with someone ranking us outside the top 25 at this moment. These rankings really don't matter either.

Mandel didn't have NU in his Top 25 either, and we know he can be trusted to pay attention ...

• Sad
Reactions: ricko654321
Nu'sQB is ? Why would anyone get upset about a ranking for next year when no one knows what the roster will look like at this time
This is a slap in the face to Fitz and the returning players. Brandon Joseph took notice on Twitter. More motivation for the Cats.

Seems like several times we’ve followed up a great season by laying an egg. 2001, 2013, 2016, 2019. Need to avoid those years where we disappoint preseason rankings.

The "way-too-early" rankings are quite possibly the least important rankings anyone does, but they can be fun to read and they're built for people to be outraged. In August, when we see how our team and 100+ other teams shake out and how COVID shapes the season, we'll see something more accurate then, but even then, THOSE rankings will outrage some people. Most likely we'll be on the list of those outraged, but that's just tradition.

Well said. This is exactly how I feel. They don't matter much. And bring it on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT