ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN top 150 games: 1 good / 1 bad

BosCat

Nov 29, 2008
NU on there twice: ESPN

Certainly not most important for program, but this is what they picked:

59. Michigan State 41, at Northwestern 38
Oct. 21, 2006
Trailing 38-3 in the middle of the third quarter, the Spartans staged the biggest comeback in FBS history. Two interceptions and a blocked punt for a touchdown fueled the 38-point rally. Michigan State tied it on a 9-yard Drew Stanton TD pass with 3:48 left and won it on Brett Swenson's 28-yard field goal with 13 seconds on the clock.

121. At No. 21 Northwestern 54, No. 12 Michigan 51
Nov. 4, 2000
The teams combined for nearly 1,200 yards of offense in a wild shootout that came down to the wire. The Wildcats seemed doomed when Damien Anderson dropped a pass at the goal line on fourth down with 1:38 to go. Then Northwestern recovered a fumble at the UM 30 with 46 seconds remaining, and Sam Simmons caught an 11-yard touchdown with 20 seconds left for an improbable victory.

Really surprised they would list the MSU comeback. It didn't have the stature of other games on the list.

If you asked a Spartan fan to list the greatest games they've witnessed and I bet they omit the comeback in favor of any of the following:

Little Giants
The hail mary to Keith Nichol
Whoa he has trouble with the snap
Clockgate
Reynaldo Hill's INT to beat #1 OSU
The nine minute drive to beat Iowa
or even the 2011 loss to Wisconsin in the B1G title game.

10 UM losses on that list:
1. 54-51
2. Appy State upset
3. Kordell Stewart Hail Mary game
4. Texas 38 UM 37 in 2005 Rose Bowl
5. MSU punt block game
6. UM 10 OSU 10 but OSU gets voted to Rose Bowl
7. Uchicago 2 UM 0 in 1905
8. Charles White nonfumble in 1979 Rose Bowl
9. OSU 42 UM 39 in 2006
10. OSU 30 UM 27 in 2016

Reactions: BosCat and phatcat
Really surprised they would list the MSU comeback. It didn't have the stature of other games on the list.

If you asked a Spartan fan to list the greatest games they've witnessed and I bet they omit the comeback in favor of any of the following:

Little Giants
The hail mary to Keith Nichol
Whoa he has trouble with the snap
Clockgate
Reynaldo Hill's INT to beat #1 OSU
The nine minute drive to beat Iowa
or even the 2011 loss to Wisconsin in the B1G title game.
agreed. We were not a good team and the game didn't mean much, embarrassing as it was

I'll give that list a lot of credit for including really old games. there was some thought put into it

agreed. We were not a good team and the game didn't mean much, embarrassing as it was

Not only that but it was also one of Sparty’s worst seasons ever. We were their only conference win. They were in the midst of the John L Smith nightmare themselves.

After MSU’s comeback, I was more happy than sad. NU wasn’t going anywhere — but we had found an offense. (It was CJ’s first start after the Brewfka experiment.)

I would happily take THE COMEBACK part deux this weekend. Just give me a touchdown or 2!

How was NU win over Notre Dame in 1995 not on the list? Granted the team went on to do great things that year, but we had been mired in mediocrity for decades and beat a Lou Holtz led Notre Dame team. It was a monster upset.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT