ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Hull at Senior Bowl

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
Say what you want about our record the past two years.

We found a player in high school that no one offered and look what we helped him accomplish.

From Sports Illustrated….

On the air for NFL Network, Daniel Jeremiah said that Hull is reminding him of former New England Patriots running back James White. With his quick cuts and elusive skills, paired with his pass-catching ability, it's no surprise he draws that comparison.
Measuring in at 5-foot-10 and 214 pounds, Hull has the frame to withstand the beating of the NFL. Combine that with his all-around skillset, and you have a running back you can rely on each week.
If the first day of Senior Bowl practice is any indicator of what's to come for Hull, he's in for a major increase in his NFL Draft stock.
https://allaccessfootball.com/offers/ols/products/2023-nfl-draft-bible-pdf-coming-soon

Last edited:
Say what you want about our record the past two years.

We found a player in high school that no one offered and look what we helped him accomplish.

From Sports Illustrated….

On the air for NFL Network, Daniel Jeremiah said that Hull is reminding him of former New England Patriots running back James White. With his quick cuts and elusive skills, paired with his pass-catching ability, it's no surprise he draws that comparison.
Measuring in at 5-foot-10 and 214 pounds, Hull has the frame to withstand the beating of the NFL. Combine that with his all-around skillset, and you have a running back you can rely on each week.
If the first day of Senior Bowl practice is any indicator of what's to come for Hull, he's in for a major increase in his NFL Draft stock.
https://allaccessfootball.com/offers/ols/products/2023-nfl-draft-bible-pdf-coming-soon
Funny how so many of the self described football experts wrote him off as an afterthought with Cam Porter’s return.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
More, this from that dude Thor @ Fantasy Pros

Evan Hull (RB – Northwestern)
Another day, another impressive showing from Hull. He opens eyes in the subtle areas. Today, one of those was in the pass-pro drills. Hull stood out in a group that didn’t seem to bring as much enthusiasm to the work as he was.

Hull’s lateral burst to the outside was more apparent on Wednesday. Hull was quickly deciphering the lack of run lanes in team drills, immediately flattening down the line of scrimmage, and bursting around the edge. This is something that can be seen on film.

Hull appears to be a details guy who works on every aspect of the game and doesn’t meet a detail too small to tackle on the side for improvement. He’s ingratiating himself to coaches by being the runner in attendance most enthusiastic to end reps by sprinting upfield for 30 yards until the whistle coaxes him back.

He also is not liking what he sees from Chase Brown. "Incapable of separation "

More, this from that dude Thor @ Fantasy Pros

Evan Hull (RB – Northwestern)
Another day, another impressive showing from Hull. He opens eyes in the subtle areas. Today, one of those was in the pass-pro drills. Hull stood out in a group that didn’t seem to bring as much enthusiasm to the work as he was.

Hull’s lateral burst to the outside was more apparent on Wednesday. Hull was quickly deciphering the lack of run lanes in team drills, immediately flattening down the line of scrimmage, and bursting around the edge. This is something that can be seen on film.

Hull appears to be a details guy who works on every aspect of the game and doesn’t meet a detail too small to tackle on the side for improvement. He’s ingratiating himself to coaches by being the runner in attendance most enthusiastic to end reps by sprinting upfield for 30 yards until the whistle coaxes him back.
He has a lot of experience deciphering a lack of run lanes

AA and Evan got some recognition on the Score today . Both seem to be getting the job done...Makes ya wonder.

Reactions: epicbret
Trying to recall your thoughts when we offered him at the very end of the recruiting cycle? Basically no other offers. A true 2-star.
That has nothing to do with the point he’s making. Just 9 or so months ago there were those that were saying Porter will take over as RB1 because he’s just that much better. Completely ignoring the success Hull had the previous season and also ignoring what was clear to see which was that Hull is a great player. It was the completely wrong take.

That has nothing to do with the point he’s making. Just 9 or so months ago there were those that were saying Porter will take over as RB1 because he’s just that much better. Completely ignoring the success Hull had the previous season and also ignoring what was clear to see which was that Hull is a great player. It was the completely wrong take.
I don't think it's all that surprising of a take. Porter had a great first year and was the next star-in-the-making at NU. When he got hurt before the 2021 season, it was crushing. Hull came in and did a great job, but it was somewhat lost in the utter disappointment that was that year. So, heading into 2022, I can imagine many people thought Porter would reclaim his place as RB #1. That Hull went on to have the incredible 2022 that he did speaks to how talented he is and how much work he put in. Now, I really do think he will be playing on Sundays and possibly even get drafted.

Reactions: Bwm57
I don't think it's all that surprising of a take. Porter had a great first year and was the next star-in-the-making at NU. When he got hurt before the 2021 season, it was crushing. Hull came in and did a great job, but it was somewhat lost in the utter disappointment that was that year. So, heading into 2022, I can imagine many people thought Porter would reclaim his place as RB #1. That Hull went on to have the incredible 2022 that he did speaks to how talented he is and how much work he put in. Now, I really do think he will be playing on Sundays and possibly even get drafted.
You are correct, not that surprising of a take for some of the people on this board that think they're smarter than everyone. But for those that looked at it realistically, Hull was really good 2 years ago and to think Porter would just come in after major surgery and take over as the #1 RB was really short sighted.

You are correct, not that surprising of a take for some of the people on this board that think they're smarter than everyone. But for those that looked at it realistically, Hull was really good 2 years ago and to think Porter would just come in after major surgery and take over as the #1 RB was really short sighted.
Well.... I don't know who these people are, but that is the take that is most ridiculous by them - I'm clearly the smartest one on this board.

Reactions: phatcat
Well.... I don't know who these people are, but that is the take that is most ridiculous by them - I'm clearly the smartest one on this board.
Agree...and let's not let E-Cat off the hook on this one just because he got it right after Hull is getting praise from NFL folks at the Senior Bowl.

Nobody sh!ts on 2-star/no offer recruits quite like @EvanstonCat . He was crapping on Hull well before any people who thought Porter would waltz back from injury and take over the position.

Agree...and let's not let E-Cat off the hook on this one just because he got it right after Hull is getting praise from NFL folks at the Senior Bowl.

Nobody sh!ts on 2-star/no offer recruits quite like @EvanstonCat . He was crapping on Hull well before any people who thought Porter would waltz back from injury and take over the position.
Instead of attributing things that I have never said, let's clarify things once and for all. I do think stars matter over the long run over large populations and statistically that is proven without a doubt (even for NU). I always have said it and I'll say it yet again, they aren't very indicative on an individual basis. A 5 star kid is not a slam dunk and a 2 star or no star kid might end up playng on Sundays. We've seen that happen enough that this isn't a matter of debate. I'm not going to shit on any one individual recruit because of the number of stars - nor will I say a recruit is a sure bet if he's 4 or 5 stars (as we've seen that to be far from the case). And I've always been more interested in who else is offering and who we are beating out for kids vs. pure offers anyways. Everyone can point to the exceptions, but as a whole, you are only as good as you recruit, and we aren't very good recruiters as both our class rankings and our results on the field and lack of rings attest. We're not even as good at picking diamonds in the rough as some would like to believe, given that our rate of putting recruits 3 stars or below into the NFL is one of the lowest amongst all FBS teams (close to dead last). Even this last class - which as some have pointed out may be Fitz's best - is not good enough for what we should be aspiring. We do need to bring in better and more highly recruited talent (yes, that includes Parade AAs) to deliver results that are better than what we have been delivering. It's not complicated. Why anyone thinks we can win a B1G title (and that is to me the goal) without doing that is bewildering.

Once the kids get on the field and show what they can do, I could give a crap about their star ratings. This having been said, Hull was a 1,000 yard rusher in 2021 and pretty much the only thing we had on offense. I liked Cam Porter, I was impressed with what he did freshman year, and I frankly thought he was the favorite to emerge as our lead back. I only said that Hull would compete. Why anyone would doubt he would be in the mix to be our lead back after what he accomplished and showed on the field already was puzzling.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheC

He’s talking about me, mostly (I think). I was very confident that Porter would be a legitimately “bell cow” back, clearly underestimated Hull’s ability and Porter’s health. Still think Porter has a chance to be a legitimately special back, perhaps with a full offseason to train and continue recovering from his knee injury.

For what it’s worth, plenty of people who a lot more about football than I do also think Porter ends up being the better back in the long run and were a bit surprised at how well Hull performed.

He’s talking about me, mostly (I think). I was very confident that Porter would be a legitimately “bell cow” back, clearly underestimated Hull’s ability and Porter’s health. Still think Porter has a chance to be a legitimately special back, perhaps with a full offseason to train and continue recovering from his knee injury.

For what it’s worth, plenty of people who a lot more about football than I do also think Porter ends up being the better back in the long run and were a bit surprised at how well Hull performed.
Porter has a lot more “twitch” than Hull and it is pretty easy to see in games. Some brutal finishes to runs too. Very disappointing season coming off injury imo. OL sure didn’t help him at all.

I think Evan was a much better match with last year’s offense and OL. Evan is extremely patient which is great to have behind an OL that just can’t get a push and obviously his versatility in the pass game is a huge bonus.

I don’t think anyone is wrong for being very optimistic about Porter coming into last season. The staff was expecting big things too. Raw talent is there no doubt.

Cam Porter averaged 2.8 ypc in North America last year. Of course, much of that was out of the wildcat. I’m hoping he pulls an Audige in his second season after an injury.

Hull averaged 4.0 in North America.

Last edited:

Like I said I too thought Porter would be the guy, and I think it's possible you may be right about Porter in the long run. There was that Buckeye LB who said he was one of the hardest backs to bring down, and he looked awesome as a Freshman, especially against Auburn in the Bowl. So, as C pointed out, no surprise that most people felt the same way about him.

I just wouldn't have written off Hull after the season he had. Just didn't understand how people couldn't appreciate Hull after a 1,000 yard season when he was all that we had and that accomplishment was all the more impressive given that we didn't have much of a passing game or any other threat or any brilliance in scheme to avoid defenses from keying on him.

Like I said I too thought Porter would be the guy, and I think it's possible you may be right about Porter in the long run. There was that Buckeye LB who said he was one of the hardest backs to bring down, and he looked awesome as a Freshman, especially against Auburn in the Bowl. So, as C pointed out, no surprise that most people felt the same way about him.

I just wouldn't have written off Hull after the season he had. Just didn't understand how people couldn't appreciate Hull after a 1,000 yard season when he was all that we had and that accomplishment was all the more impressive given that we didn't have much of a passing game or any other threat or any brilliance in scheme to avoid defenses from keying on him.

I thought Hull’s productive 2021 was mostly “well, someone had to get carries/touches on offense“ than his abilities, which I clearly underestimated. Didn’t jump off tape at all to me (still doesn’t really, if I’m being honest), but got the job done consistently in two pretty terrible offenses. Hats off to Evan.

Still think Porter can be David Montgomery 2.0. Hopefully we see that guy after more time to get healthy.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I thought Hull’s productive 2021 was mostly “well, someone had to get carries/touches on offense“ than his abilities, which I clearly underestimated. Didn’t jump off tape at all to me (still doesn’t really, if I’m being honest), but got the job done consistently in two pretty terrible offenses. Hats off to Evan.

Still think Porter can be David Montgomery 2.0. Hopefully we see that guy after more time to get healthy.
I think Porter is quite good. Hull beat him out. Good for Evan. I like the post above where @NUCat320 points out that so many of Porter’s carries were out of the Wildcat. He deserves an asterisk for averaging like .01 YPC out of it.

Hull has excellent 🙌 hands! Gonna definitely 💯 be a pro! Porter is a tad slow to go pro currently! But who knows in a year or two!

Reactions: NUCat320
In case anybody was wondering the outcome of the titled thread. Evan had 10 carries for 74 yards. The most of any RB in the game.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT