ADVERTISEMENT

Excerpt from my upcoming book on the 95 Season...

ChappyCat

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2015
Michigan
Expected release date I'm hoping for is late-July/August. Here is a piece from the Purdue/Ohio State watch party chapter...

For the first time in four months, Barnett was finally able to relax and enjoy success. “With six minutes left and on top, 23-8,” Barnett said, “I felt at that point that we had the game won... I’ve really been looking forward to those last six minutes all year long.”

The oppressive Wildcat defense caused five fumbles, nabbed two interceptions, and sacked Purdue’s quarterback twice. “They played at a higher level today”, Barnett said of his defense. Donnie Holmes shined in his first game, substituting for the injured Pat Fitzgerald, leading the team with twelve tackles. Eric Collier had ten and Chris Martin’s MVP performance included an INT, and a blocked punt that forced a safety. Maybe most impressively was holding the 8th best rush attack and the all-star, Alstott, to just 71 yards rushing in his final home game as a Boilermaker.

The Northwestern Wildcats had dominated their opponent again. What was most impressive to many- both in and out of the program- was how the Wildcats handled their business and their success. Throughout their persecution of the Boilermakers, the Wildcats played “honorably and humbly”. Nobody boasted. Celebrations were done with teammates in, or on their way to the huddle. After every hit, a Northwestern defender was shown helping the Purdue casualty up off the turf. After Alstott broke the school record, and the game was momentarily stopped to honor him, Northwestern players proactively went over to shake his hand ceremoniously. This was the true essence of the Northwestern football player- the attitude and ethics that finally led them to success on the field and into the hearts of sports followers across the country.

Fight for Victory!
- Chappy

Great stuff Chappy. That season, recall that Purdue played us and Ohio State. I remember Alstott being interviewed after the game by a reporter who asked who was better -Ohio State or Northwestern. His reply was something like “Ohio State may have better players but Northwestern has the better team”. Always liked Alstott for that comment and he was one heckuva player.

Can't wait to read. My strongest memory from that season was the ND game. I was watching on TV (1 year old kid, couldn't attend games) and I remember thinking throughout the second half, here it comes, the part where we fold, on every ND drive. And it never happened. Unbelievable moment.

And how about that crowd? Incredible. We need to get back to that level of fan engagement. Not an empty seat in Dyche Stadium!
If you mean the Iowa game, remember how when people would clap and it would be "whump whump whump" because everyone had winter gloves. It was so...@#$%^...cold

My favorite memory was at the Big Outhouse, surrounded by arrogance in the end zone stands, my 4 and 6 year old kids groveling around on the concrete in front of me.

In the attached video, you'll see me (figuratively) at :23, when Hartl scored at the other end and the Mich people were in stunned silence

At the games end, eerie silence except for the tiny knot of purple, again in the opposite end zone.

Walking from the stadium, they actually had an N flag at a souvenir stand that I bought and waved on the way to the car.

Saw this geeky guy with a faded purple Northwestern sweatshirt - before we all bought a bunch of gear. I said "how 'bout those 'Cats?" and he said "how 'BOUT those 'Cats??"

We were equally giddy and shocked

Can't wait to read this book.

Was that Purdue game my favorite game I've attended? No, I'm sure I could name a dozen others easily. But boy, was that a special experience just being there for that. I'll never forget that day.

Expected release date I'm hoping for is late-July/August. Here is a piece from the Purdue/Ohio State watch party chapter...

For the first time in four months, Barnett was finally able to relax and enjoy success. “With six minutes left and on top, 23-8,” Barnett said, “I felt at that point that we had the game won... I’ve really been looking forward to those last six minutes all year long.”

The oppressive Wildcat defense caused five fumbles, nabbed two interceptions, and sacked Purdue’s quarterback twice. “They played at a higher level today”, Barnett said of his defense. Donnie Holmes shined in his first game, substituting for the injured Pat Fitzgerald, leading the team with twelve tackles. Eric Collier had ten and Chris Martin’s MVP performance included an INT, and a blocked punt that forced a safety. Maybe most impressively was holding the 8th best rush attack and the all-star, Alstott, to just 71 yards rushing in his final home game as a Boilermaker.

The Northwestern Wildcats had dominated their opponent again. What was most impressive to many- both in and out of the program- was how the Wildcats handled their business and their success. Throughout their persecution of the Boilermakers, the Wildcats played “honorably and humbly”. Nobody boasted. Celebrations were done with teammates in, or on their way to the huddle. After every hit, a Northwestern defender was shown helping the Purdue casualty up off the turf. After Alstott broke the school record, and the game was momentarily stopped to honor him, Northwestern players proactively went over to shake his hand ceremoniously. This was the true essence of the Northwestern football player- the attitude and ethics that finally led them to success on the field and into the hearts of sports followers across the country.

Fight for Victory!
- Chappy
I watched the season yesterday on tv! Can’t believe we beat all those good teams in one year! Amazing! And then Michigan beat Ohio State.

Often Worked weekends in the Alumni Tent '93-'96 for a friend of mine in Food Service there at NU. Great times!! We'd arrive around 7 or 8 am. Haul out and cook food. Serve beer, then once tent cleared out and game kicked off, pound beers hard with great seat from a chair behind endzone. Or, if it was too cold, go up to the N Club.

Needless to say, the '93-'94 crowds were easier to deal with than '95 and '96.

My fondest memory was showing up nice and early for the '95 Iowa game in a blizzard at around 7.30 am. Watched the grounds crew plow the field and set-up the ESPN game day crew in the south lobby of W-R as their set had blown down overnight. This was day Fitz got hurt and Ismaeli had a scoop/score to seal the game.

Great stuff Chappy. That season, recall that Purdue played us and Ohio State. I remember Alstott being interviewed after the game by a reporter who asked who was better -Ohio State or Northwestern. His reply was something like “Ohio State may have better players but Northwestern has the better team”. Always liked Alstott for that comment and he was one heckuva player.

Pretty sure this was the Purdue QB rather than Alstott. I remember absolutely lighting him up then seeing that he threw a pick (to C Martin I think). I tapped him on the head and said, “That’s alright.” He said, “no it’s not.”

I’m not sure what he thought he was supposed to do when his receivers couldn’t get open and his OL couldn’t block... He may have been a decent QB if his OL could block and his WRs could do something.

EDIT: NU domination is a problem for somebody else other than me to figure out... I do pity the fools left in our wake though.

Last edited:

Fight for Victory!
- Chappy
Well done Chappy!

Reactions: ChappyCat
Often Worked weekends in the Alumni Tent '93-'96 for a friend of mine in Food Service there at NU. Great times!! We'd arrive around 7 or 8 am. Haul out and cook food. Serve beer, then once tent cleared out and game kicked off, pound beers hard with great seat from a chair behind endzone. Or, if it was too cold, go up to the N Club.

Needless to say, the '93-'94 crowds were easier to deal with than '95 and '96.

My fondest memory was showing up nice and early for the '95 Iowa game in a blizzard at around 7.30 am. Watched the grounds crew plow the field and set-up the ESPN game day crew in the south lobby of W-R as their set had blown down overnight. This was day Fitz got hurt and Ismaeli had a scoop/score to seal the game.
I was at the Iowa game also! Caught a nasty flu from the game that weakened me for three weeks

Reactions: ChappyCat

I agree- Alstott was one of my ALL-TIME favorite Big Ten players.

Reactions: drewjin
Pretty sure this was the Purdue QB rather than Alstott. I remember absolutely lighting him up then seeing that he threw a pick (to C Martin I think). I tapped him on the head and said, “That’s alright.” He said, “no it’s not.”

I’m not sure what he thought he was supposed to do when his receivers couldn’t get open and his OL couldn’t block... He may have been a decent QB if his OL could block and his WRs could do something.

EDIT: NU domination is a problem for somebody else other than me to figure out... I do pity the fools left in our wake though.

Love this anecdote MR!!

Fight for Victory!
- Chappy
Can't wait to add this to my "taking the Purple to Pasadena" copy. watched the NU win over ND at Arlington Park racetrack. We were celebrating my father-in laws birthday. I asked the bartender if he could put the NU game on TV. No dice. Then walking out in corridor, looked up a guess what the game was on another set. Asked the guy how he got it on and he just showed me the remote he clutched in his hand. Also viewed the Pen St. game from of all places Belize. It was a long planned vacation. Attended all of the others, with the most memorable being wins over Wisconsin, Io-a and of course at Purdue. The Rose Bowl, obviously will never be forgotten but sure would love to go to Pasadena again.

Hmmmm...

ADVERTISEMENT