ADVERTISEMENT

Fantastic Tweet From Iowa Fan

That’s great.

I wonder if those consider us an easy out at this point. We have been holding or own with these teams for a decade now.
Are you kidding? Io_a was claiming AFTER we beat them this year that they were still better than us. These three fanbases are the equivalent of Mo, Larry, and Curly.

That’s great.

I wonder if those consider us an easy out at this point. We have been holding or own with these teams for a decade now.

I will say that I have gotten to know a lot of Iowa fans over the last ten years of living here. There isn't a single one that I know that takes NU for granted or thinks we are a pushover. This doesn't mean that they don't think they can beat us or will win games against us. I'm just saying that they know they are in for a battle when they play us most years (in fairness, a few times over the last ten years they have taken us to the woodshed).

That being said, I still think most of them view us as a lesser program than what they are that is more like an annoying gnat than anything else. I think the biggest factor in this is not necessarily what happens on the field, but more about our smaller fanbase, less rowdy game day atmosphere/experience, etc. Just my opinion.

I will say that I have gotten to know a lot of Iowa fans over the last ten years of living here. There isn't a single one that I know that takes NU for granted or thinks we are a pushover. This doesn't mean that they don't think they can beat us or will win games against us. I'm just saying that they know they are in for a battle when they play us most years (in fairness, a few times over the last ten years they have taken us to the woodshed).

That being said, I still think most of them view us as a lesser program than what they are that is more like an annoying gnat than anything else. I think the biggest factor in this is not necessarily what happens on the field, but more about our smaller fanbase, less rowdy game day atmosphere/experience, etc. Just my opinion.
I agree with all of that. It is also true that Iowa fans view every loss to NU as a fluke. This year was no exception. Most Iowa fans remain convinced that the Hawkeyes were the better team and should have gotten a better bowl than NU, despite the head-to-head loss.

Reactions: DaCat
That’s great.

I'm sure they (esp Nebraska/Iowa) have fans that still do, but I doubt that represents the bulk of their fan bases.

Most Minnesota fans can easily understand that we've had the outright better program the past 3 decades.

Husker beatwriters the past 2 years have written a lot about how their fans need to really respect teams like Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa due to the long-term stability and established identity of our programs. Results of the past 10 years has really hit their fans hard.

At this point, if any fan doesn't respect that we've easily held our own against any program in the West, they're just delusional.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I'm sure they (esp Nebraska/Iowa) have fans that still do, but I doubt that represents the bulk of their fan bases.

Most Minnesota fans can easily understand that we've had the outright better program the past 3 decades.

Husker beatwriters the past 2 years have written a lot about how their fans need to really respect teams like Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa due to the long-term stability and established identity of our programs. Results of the past 10 years has really hit their fans hard.

At this point, if any fan doesn't respect that we've easily held our own against any program in the West, they're just delusional.
When we stumbled last year and lost every B1G game but Illannoys, I bet every fanbase thought that order in the universe was restored and NU had returned to its proper place.

I will bet the house that all 3 fan bases predict a victory over NU in 2021. It happens EVERY year. Even The Fighting Lovies predicted a win every year, and almost all these games have been one sided.

Reactions: ricko654321
We do the same thing here.
Sure but the difference is that we've won 6 straight vs Illinois, all by >7 points (and the closest, a 24-16 win in 2018, was after Fitz pulled many starters and basically let them come back from a 24-6 deficit). Also won 14 of the last 18 games. So we at least have some justification in recent data for thinking that we will beat them each year.

I will bet the house that all 3 fan bases predict a victory over NU in 2021. It happens EVERY year. Even The Fighting Lovies predicted a win every year, and almost all these games have been one sided.
Well Illinois fans are living in a pure dream world. Hopefully we take the lead in that series and never look back.

As far as the other teams go, I mean, most of our fans pick us to win every game.

The difference now versus 20 years ago is other team's fans know we've won around half of the games.

Iowa fans mention Fitz's record vs Kirk all the time on their forums 9-6.

They know Fitz has won nearly every close game in the series. Heck, on their game threads this year there were plenty of comments expecting to lose once we came back and made it a 1 score game because that's how it goes.

I guess I would just say they're not as surprised when they lose to us now. That is the difference.

Last edited:
Sure but the difference is that we've won 6 straight vs Illinois, all by >7 points (and the closest, a 24-16 win in 2018, was after Fitz pulled many starters and basically let them come back from a 24-6 deficit). Also won 14 of the last 18 games. So we at least have some justification in recent data for thinking that we will beat them each year.
We predict a victory over every B1G opponent in our weekly thread. Frankly, part of the definition of being a "fan" is that you think your team will somehow prevail, even in the face of daunting odds.

I don't have a problem with it. It is a very human thing (bias) to do. I do it myself. But it is not like we are much different from fans at Ioa, Nebby or Illinois. We pretty much all act the same way (except we don't whine as much as Nebraska)

If the opponent is Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson, sure, nobody chalks it up as a probably win. However, fan tend to look at teams on their schedule as "beatable," and that somehow becomes "I expect to win." Until Northwestern joins the super bluebloods like those above, they're always going to be perceived as "beatable."

The only game I could remember NU went into during the Fitz era where I didn't think we had a chance was Wisconsin in 2010. But I'm a delusional NU fan. My guess is Nebraska and Iowa fans feel the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT