ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite non-NU college football player of all time

darmok

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2019
The recent voting for NU’s best position players got me thinking, who would you pick?

This screams of recency-bias, but I have to go with Hunter Renfrow, Clemson

On-the-field: Barry Sanders (brother Byron was a Cat so even better)

Off-the-field: Nile Kinnick or Pat Tillman

Reactions: drewjin
Off the top of my head I gotta go with either the kid from MSU that blocked a punt to beat Mich, or Kordell Stewart for his Hail Mary v Mich, or whoever from App State beat Mich, or Toledo guy for same reason, or J Clowney for his hit on the Mich RB. Sensing a pattern here?

I was always impressed with Doug Flutie as he carried that team and beat the ‘canes in a thriller.
I will second that. I had the good fortune of being able to spend a little time with Flutie at an NCAA Convention, and he was one of the most friendly, but humble guys. He was incredibly generous with his time there. Long after the other celebrities had left an awards dinner, Flutie stayed there until everyone who wanted one got to take pictures with Flutie and talk with him for a few seconds.

Nile Kinnick, for sure. And props to DaCat for beating me to this. And NO, I did NOT see him play. :D

Reactions: DaCat
I’ve never had more fun watching a football team than the Arkansas Razorbacks with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and the Wildcat formation.

McFadden was 14-22 for 205 yards, 7TDs, and 1 INT passing for his career. Malzahn was only there in 2006, having been hired from Mitch Mustain’s high school to run the offense before going to Tulsa because he couldn’t stand Houston Nutt (or vice versa).

To answer the question, my favorite player is Mitch Mustain.

The recent voting for NU’s best position players got me thinking, who would you pick?

On the field: Ndamukong Suh was an absolute monster for Nebraska and was a legitimate Heisman contender as a defensive tackle.

He strikes me as the type of player that you love if he’s on your team... and absolutely hate playing / dealing with if you’re not. He plays a bit dirty at times, but all linemen have some nasty to them.

It’s harder to think of off-the-field that quickly. Let me think on that.

Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson but Rondale Moore could work his way into the discussion with another big year. Don’t make me pick one. I can’t.

Hunter Renfrow screams of ManCrush.

GOUNUII

Reactions: drewjin
Ken Anderson of Augustana College and the Cincinnati Bengals. I watched him destroy great teams with pinpoint passes while I was a Sports Reporter for Channel 9 WCPO-TV in the Queen City. Maybe someone will remember him from Batavia HS. Wikipedia says he and Dan Issel were buddies. Where was he on Northwestern’s recruiting list in 1966? A 4-time All-Pro and the pass completion % record holder for about 30 years till Brees broke it.

Last edited:
Roger Staubach or Fran Tarkenton
I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan and I have to go with Roger Staubach. Of course I had to search the page and see if anybody beat me to it. Fran Tarkenton is certainly worthy of respect, too.

Jamelle Holieway
Tommie Frazier
Charlie Ward

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2
Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson but Rondale Moore could work his way into the discussion with another big year. Don’t make me pick one. I can’t.

Hunter Renfrow screams of ManCrush.

GOUNUII

Bo Jackson and Barry have to be up there.

Reactions: runawayCat

Maclin and Ginn were both fun to watch, especially on special teams. Also loved Rocket Ismail, Bo Jackson, and Reggie Bush.

Defense it would be Lawrence Taylor and the Boz.

Nile Kinnick, for sure. And props to DaCat for beating me to this. And NO, I did NOT see him play. :D
If you have never heard Kinnick's Heisman Trophy acceptance speech in 1939, check out the link below. It is pretty extraordinary. Folks used to say that Kinnick was going to be at least a governor and maybe President someday, had he survived the war. His speech suggests this notion was not necessarily far-fetched.

Tshimanga "Tim" Biakabutuka.

All NU fans will be forever indebted.

Beat me to it. For those of us who watched the 1995 team, how could you not love Biakabutuka? Aside from his awesome last name, watching him run all over the Buckeyes to propel us into the Rose Bowl has to be one of my all-time favorite college football memories that didn’t have NU on the field. I remember a bunch of gathering in my friend’s off-campus apartment to watch the game, all of us assuming that OSU would win, then watching in amazement as Biakabutuka single-handed carried the Wolverines to victory. We were all hoarse by the end of the game.

313 yards on 37 carries, 1 TD. And roses for the NU football team.

If you have never heard Kinnick's Heisman Trophy acceptance speech in 1939, check out the link below. It is pretty extraordinary. Folks used to say that Kinnick was going to be at least a governor and maybe President someday, had he survived the war. His speech suggests this notion was not necessarily far-fetched.
That really was impressive. He sounds like a seasoned, middle-aged politician and not an early 20-something still in college.

The Greatest Generation, indeed. I wish we had more of living examples of their grit and leadership during these difficult times.

Reactions: HawkCat
And he did a number on us
Beat me to it. For those of us who watched the 1995 team, how could you not love Biakabutuka? Aside from his awesome last name, watching him run all over the Buckeyes to propel us into the Rose Bowl has to be one of my all-time favorite college football memories that didn’t have NU on the field. I remember a bunch of gathering in my friend’s off-campus apartment to watch the game, all of us assuming that OSU would win, then watching in amazement as Biakabutuka single-handed carried the Wolverines to victory. We were all hoarse by the end of the game.

313 yards on 37 carries, 1 TD. And roses for the NU football team.
And he did a number on us as well.

Chuck Bednarik from Penn, last of the sixty minute men(I know , in the pros but still an outstanding student athlete. I would add Jim Brown who also played Lacrosse at Syracuse.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
That really was impressive. He sounds like a seasoned, middle-aged politician and not an early 20-something still in college.

The Greatest Generation, indeed. I wish we had more of living examples of their grit and leadership during these difficult times.
Kinnick was student body president and gave the commencement address at Iowa. He declined opportunities to play pro football and baseball, and instead went to law school, where he was ranked third in his class after his first year. He then joined the Navy and eventually died while training to be a fighter pilot.

Reactions: catcrazy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT