ADVERTISEMENT

Feel bad for the players

First of all, I didn't graduate from NU. I transferred after my junior season and graduated from Wheaton College.

Yes, you can place the blame entirely on the coaching staff...but look at the athletes we put on offense and defense! Look at the number of people who were star O players in high school and recruited mainly to be offensive players by other schools that were switched to defense. Lancaster was a Center and hardly played DL in high school until his senior season. He's the BEST OL talent we've brought into the program during this period, IMO... he was switched to defense. Iggie, Campbell, and Mabin were star RB's recruited to be DB's. Some were better RB's than the actual RB talent we had at that time. Right down the line, it looks like Fitz has favored and stocked the defense. If you and others cannot see this difference, then I don't have much more to say about this.

Yes, coaching could definitely explain these differences, but the talent differential is much more apparent to me.

Bottom line is NU has WAY more talent on offense than the results show.

I think we stink because of offensive coaching!
I think we stink because of offensive recruiting!
I think we stink because of a lack of offensive talent!

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Who gives a shit, we stink.

Fix the OL, get one of our QBs enough experience and you’ll have the offense you desire.
For all of Cushing's faults as an OL coach (and there were plenty), he did integrate his OL reasonably well with McCall's O (especially as the year wore on). Anderson is hopefully much better as an OL coach but so far he is lacking the talent to do what he wants and what he is doing is not integrating as well with what McCall is trying to direct. Difference of 10 years working together vs a few months and starting 3 (now 4 ) new guys replacing 2 and 3 year starters as well as new QB and RB WRs and TEs (think how much better the O would look with Green as the TE right now).

This is not meant as an endorsement of McCall but more an acknowledgement of what he is up against. He is having to deal with 3-4 new OL, down to what was last years 4th string QB, 3rd string RB, missing top WR, TE etc. That is a lot of limitations to deal with. We all want to see better O.

Your mind can keep being boggled because there are many, hardcore NU fans besides myself who think McCall is far down the list of problems with this offense. Fix the OL, recruit a starting Big ten caliber QB every year and then you’ll see what this team can do. I know that we won 36 games, a Big ten West title and three bowl games over a 4 year span with this offense/OC when we had an above average Big ten QB and a well above average Big Ten RB even though we had a well below average Big Ten OL. That tells me the problem isn’t with the offense or the OC. It tells me that the main difference between last year’s Big Ten West champs and this year’s team is Clayton Thorson. Give me a Clayton Thorson or better caliber QB and an above average OL and this team is competing every year for Big Ten titles with this Offense/OC. McCall is not THE problem.
A four year starter CT. That said, I am not sure that I would classify him as highly as you. (Average BIG QB yes, Above average? Not so sure. He was very good for us. But he did have 4 years as a starter in the system and being in the 4th year of starting means a lot. As far as RB, I agree that he was above average but not sure he was way above average. Very good for us

Bottom line is NU has WAY more talent on offense than the results show.
Sorry but not sure that they do. Especially after the injuries. Substandard OL, down to thirsd string QB RB and missing TE and number one WR our of an already below average group. Not sure where you see all that O talent. Got some up and coming but not right now.

Yes, but. Our offense has been basically the same for going on seven years (not good, not bad, just one side or the other of mediocre). Couldn't we do better? We are not seeing a progression here, simply a trend to the status quo of better than terrible. If we beat one really good team this year, I will eat my words, and we only have two of those left on the schedule. If we beat any remaining team this year, I will be surprised.
Not sure how much better you would see. Fitz controls the direction. It is what you get when you have a D minded HC. And so far his system has proven successful. He is going to constrain whatever OC we have so who is going to come that has higher ambitions knowing that?

Reactions: drewjin
Glades-While you are correct that there is a talent discrepancy on defense from offense, I am trying to analyze if they start that way.

I understand recruiting rankings are flawed, but they certainly do not support the notion the defense is out recruiting the offense. I don’t think any sort of qualitative analysis and be made that our offensive players coming in are way worse than our defensive players coming in.

It’s my belief that this discrepancy has to be a result of a fluke that has occurred repeatedly even as the players change, or in part influenced by the staff on both sides.

The best conclusion we can draw with this information is that, yes, there is a discrepancy, and that it at least is not positively impacted by the offensive coaching staff.

If that’s not enough for you to judge the coaching staff on, that’s fine, but I don’t think you can in good faith say, oh we have issues to fix before we assess the OC, and then assess those issues and continue to suggest it’s all the players’ fault.

Screw your five stars. If you bothered to actually watch him play now instead of running around like a chicken with his head cut off you would be able to see that the game is moving too fast for him to be very effective right now, particularly with our OL. He needs time.
Nice how you avoided the Josh Jackson question. You said nobody could succeed with this oline as your defense for McCall. Now we could be 4-1 with Josh Jackson? Which is it?

Nice how you avoided the Josh Jackson question. You said nobody could succeed with this oline as your defense for McCall. Now we could be 4-1 with Josh Jackson? Which is it?

Avoided what Josh Jackson question? Where did I say nobody could succeed with this OL? You are either misunderstanding or misconstruing my position. McCall, Fitz and Thorson have won 36 games and three bowl games over the last 4 years with an OL that was only marginally better than the OL we have today. My position has consistently been that this season’s struggles have been exacerbated by an inexperienced QB, which combined with the long term OL issues we continue to experience have led to the situation we find ourselves in today. With an experienced QB at the helm playing the same ball control, time of possession focused offensive style we are playing today, we would have made incrementally more positive plays and avoided a handful of negative plays to give us at least 3 more wins. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say the Stanford, MSU and Nebraska games could have easily turned out in our favor with an experienced QB at the helm. Do you disagree?

Glades-While you are correct that there is a talent discrepancy on defense from offense, I am trying to analyze if they start that way.

I understand recruiting rankings are flawed, but they certainly do not support the notion the defense is out recruiting the offense. I don’t think any sort of qualitative analysis and be made that our offensive players coming in are way worse than our defensive players coming in.

It’s my belief that this discrepancy has to be a result of a fluke that has occurred repeatedly even as the players change, or in part influenced by the staff on both sides.

The best conclusion we can draw with this information is that, yes, there is a discrepancy, and that it at least is not positively impacted by the offensive coaching staff.

If that’s not enough for you to judge the coaching staff on, that’s fine, but I don’t think you can in good faith say, oh we have issues to fix before we assess the OC, and then assess those issues and continue to suggest it’s all the players’ fault.

Well, I guess you don't see things the way I see them. IMO, they start their careers that way to a degree. To me, the difference in athletic ability is apparent early in these players' careers.

That's not to dismiss potential differences in coaching ability.

Interesting thread. I’m sorry you guys are struggling greatly on offense. I don’t believe that your offensive coordinator is awful. I also don’t believe that your talent on the Oline, QB, WR is below average in any way. I believe you have a rather complicated offense that defenses have figured out. I haven’t seen any significant modifications in your offense in the years I’ve watched them. As you know, coaches on both sides of the ball are constantly talking to each other. One team shut your offense down a few years back with average talent - Duke. They did it several years in a row. Coaches look at the film of that game and may contact Duke coaches to find out what they did. Knowing this, your coaches need to modify the offense. Maybe they have modified the offense, but it doesn’t look like it and/or it’s not working.
Some teams run the same offense every year - service academies, Wisconsin and some would say, Alabama. They recruit talent that fits their system and they innovate more than many believe.
If your offense isn’t working, it’s the coaches job to have an offense that fits the talent you recruited. You just don’t have 8-10 recruiting mistakes on your Oline. I looked at your roster and notice most of these guys have been in the system for several years. Coaches should know what talent they have and make changes. You can’t just depend on “getting better” because everyone is working on “getting better”. I remember in 2000, your coaches saw the talent they had and put in an innovative offense. Not only did you win, you changed college football. I believe you offensive coordinator has been good in the past. But he may be suffering from tradition unmarred by progress.
I understand why some here blame the talent. The goal is to make sure you keep your verbals. Your worry is that verbals will bolt with coaching change. Whether or not that is true depends on the recruit. I don’t like blaming players because they work so hard and I’m sure they already don’t feel great. Saying coaching is fine puts the blame on 18-21 year olds not the leaders who brought them there.
Coaches get paid to take the blame, some of it warranted, some of it not. Fitzgerald is a great coach. He keeps almost everything close to the vest. He seems to love his players, his coaches and your school. I’m sure the 1-4 record is harder on him than anyone else. I would be very surprised if you have a losing season and Fitzgerald doesn’t make some significant visible changes. You May believe he is stubborn but he’s not stupid.

Excellent post, oldcajunback!

We haven’t landed one of our A list QBs out of HS since Clayton Thorson. That spans five recruiting classes. Those failures along with 10 years of subpar OL recruiting and development are coming home to roost right now. If we had landed a guy like Josh Jackson, a dual threat whom we recruited very hard, we’d probably be sitting at 4-1 right now.
We have the highest rated recruit from the 2017 recruiting class on our roster right now! And he looks like a deer in the headlights after spending over a year with the program before playing a down. This is just a ridiculous take.

Reactions: drewjin
Interesting thread. I’m sorry you guys are struggling greatly on offense. I don’t believe that your offensive coordinator is awful. I also don’t believe that your talent on the Oline, QB, WR is below average in any way. I believe you have a rather complicated offense that defenses have figured out. I haven’t seen any significant modifications in your offense in the years I’ve watched them. As you know, coaches on both sides of the ball are constantly talking to each other. One team shut your offense down a few years back with average talent - Duke. They did it several years in a row. Coaches look at the film of that game and may contact Duke coaches to find out what they did. Knowing this, your coaches need to modify the offense. Maybe they have modified the offense, but it doesn’t look like it and/or it’s not working.
Some teams run the same offense every year - service academies, Wisconsin and some would say, Alabama. They recruit talent that fits their system and they innovate more than many believe.
If your offense isn’t working, it’s the coaches job to have an offense that fits the talent you recruited. You just don’t have 8-10 recruiting mistakes on your Oline. I looked at your roster and notice most of these guys have been in the system for several years. Coaches should know what talent they have and make changes. You can’t just depend on “getting better” because everyone is working on “getting better”. I remember in 2000, your coaches saw the talent they had and put in an innovative offense. Not only did you win, you changed college football. I believe you offensive coordinator has been good in the past. But he may be suffering from tradition unmarred by progress.
I understand why some here blame the talent. The goal is to make sure you keep your verbals. Your worry is that verbals will bolt with coaching change. Whether or not that is true depends on the recruit. I don’t like blaming players because they work so hard and I’m sure they already don’t feel great. Saying coaching is fine puts the blame on 18-21 year olds not the leaders who brought them there.
Coaches get paid to take the blame, some of it warranted, some of it not. Fitzgerald is a great coach. He keeps almost everything close to the vest. He seems to love his players, his coaches and your school. I’m sure the 1-4 record is harder on him than anyone else. I would be very surprised if you have a losing season and Fitzgerald doesn’t make some significant visible changes. You May believe he is stubborn but he’s not stupid.

Most of what you wrote I can agree or buy. Except our offense has never been stellar under this OC. It has progressively gotten worse over the past decade. It has never been a strong offense. Even if you buy the weak argument that it is designed to complement our elite defense (which I still don't accept as mutually exclusive to an elite offense), the problem is exactly what you pointed out - that we aren't adjusting to the fact that opponents are successful in stopping us. We aren't changing anything. We continue to do the same thing over and over again. What did Fitz call that once? Doing something over and over again that fails? Insanity? People have figured us out and we aren't responding. Whose fault is it for that? I can't see how it isn't anyone's but the OC's. And Fitz for being stubborn and too loyal. If we had Kevin Wilson or someone else that could make the change like they did in 2000, we'd be ok. Unfortunately after 10 years of mounting insanity, it's clear we don't.

Reactions: drewjin and NU Line
We have the highest rated recruit from the 2017 recruiting class on our roster right now! And he looks like a deer in the headlights after spending over a year with the program before playing a down. This is just a ridiculous take.

OK buddy. You do you.

... Knowing this, your coaches need to modify the offense. ...If your offense isn’t working, it’s the coaches job to have an offense that fits the talent you recruited..... Coaches should know what talent they have and make changes. You can’t just depend on “getting better” because everyone is working on “getting better”..... I don’t like blaming players because they work so hard and I’m sure they already don’t feel great. Saying coaching is fine puts the blame on 18-21 year olds not the leaders who brought them there..

I took some excerpts from our visitor's fine post, and condensed them above.

If he's right, we are dead

Asking Fitz/McCall to change is like asking Trump not to lie (oops wrong board)

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Where did you hear "fire the bum" crap when you were at NU? Because the internet literally didn't exist.

You and I were in the same class. If you went to the games, then you saw the "Punt Pont" and other signs starting toward the end of our junior year. Fans used to stand outside the locker room after games holding signs and staring into the locker room and showers. Several players went ballistic over these assholes and had to be restrained by the coaches. It was ugly.

You and I were in the same class. If you went to the games, then you saw the "Punt Pont" and other signs starting toward the end of our junior year. Fans used to stand outside the locker room after games holding signs and staring into the locker room and showers. Several players went ballistic over these assholes and had to be restrained by the coaches. It was ugly.
Yeah, I do remember the Punt Pont signs.

Reactions: Gladeskat
How could it not be asymmetrically skewed? Lol!

My position is we have other problems to fix before we can properly assess the OC. Admittedly, I don't care for fans calling for firings - the Jerry Brown BS was ugly, calls for firing McPherson because he wasn't a D1 RB in college, were ridiculous! If the season continues in this way, the level of uproar will force a change whether it's the right move or not. Fitz doing nothing will not be an option if we end up 4-8 or 5-7 with a loss to Illinois. Fans will stop buying season tickets if we finish the season averaging 14 points a game. Change for change's sake may be necessary to regenerate interest in the program.
Will he though?

Our fanbase is small enough and not vocal enough that I think Fitz could just stand pat with a few subpar seasons without any fire under his butt. That's the beauty of the NU job when you're an alum/golden boy like Fitz.

Will he though?

Our fanbase is small enough and not vocal enough that I think Fitz could just stand pat with a few subpar seasons without any fire under his butt. That's the beauty of the NU job when you're an alum/golden boy like Fitz.

Tough to argue with success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT