ADVERTISEMENT

Finally...Around the B1G West: Northwestern

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Our trip around the Big Ten West finally arrives in Evanston, where head coach Pat Fitzgerald and the Wildcats look to rebound from a disastrous 2019.

Give it a read and let me know your thoughts...

Around the B1G West: Northwestern

Reactions: Ch23701
Nice article in an otherwise paused world. Lou, do you think that any of the new OL can really compete this year, assuming there is a season?

I think Skoronski might be able to. He's one of the most finished products NU has had coming out of high school. We'll see if he can join the likes of Patrick Ward and Rashawn Slater as true freshmen starters on the O-line.

Patrick Ward. Days when there was always room to run on the left side. Always.

Fun read, but the OL remarks are way too rosy. Waterboy is laughing.

Excellent and well balanced review. Definitely makes for looking forward to an exciting season ahead.

Excellent and well balanced review. Definitely makes for looking forward to an exciting season ahead.
Agreed Alaska! How are things in the Great White North? Are you allowed to go to your office - I am not? See you in the Fall with the smoked salmon and the reindeer sausage. Are you coming to Homecoming? How about postig some of your great photos just for fun?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The Great White North is still all white. Was supposed to snow this morning but got a bye.

Lawyers are still considered “essential services” here but I am primarily working from home for the present, Almost all court schedulings have been postponed.

Hopefully all will be well by homecoming. With all the refunded tickets now in my Alaska Airlines credit account (was suppose to be flying out of state this weekend) I am going to have to go somewhere later this year once they resume full service again.

Did post a photo screenshot this week of NU alum football player Adam Crum as he appeared on statewide TV with the governor as he announced the added Coronavirus related mandates in his capacity as Alaska’s Commissioner for the Department of Health and Social Services.

You and your bride stay safe too!

Reactions: No Chores
Agreed Alaska! How are things in the Great White North? Are you allowed to go to your office - I am not? See you in the Fall with the smoked salmon and the reindeer sausage. Are you coming to Homecoming? How about postig some of your great photos just for fun?

I like the positive thinking but I am increasingly concerned that sporting events with fans won’t be resuming for a while. I think this upcoming college football season is seriously at risk. I hope I am wrong.

I like the positive thinking but I am increasingly concerned that sporting events with fans won’t be resuming for a while. I think this upcoming college football season is seriously at risk. I hope I am wrong.

I think (hope) that we will have the COVID-19 outbreak pretty much contained by August, soon enough for the football season The big question for me is whether the teams will have enough time to prepare for the season.

I think (hope) that we will have the COVID-19 outbreak pretty much contained by August, soon enough for the football season The big question for me is whether the teams will have enough time to prepare for the season.

Hypothesizing ahead, perhaps new rules could be added to avoid contact. All players to remain six feet distant from each other on the field.

Face masks will be refigured to become N95 compliant.

My understanding is that experts believe we could have a window in the summer months where things open back up but there is real concern that virus infections will spike back up in September/October when the temperatures cool back down. This is not a scenario that is conducive to allowing large social events like sporting events, concerts etc. to resume.

Reactions: Titanium999
My understanding is that experts believe we could have a window in the summer months where things open back up but there is real concern that virus infections will spike back up in September/October when the temperatures cool back down. This is not a scenario that is conducive to allowing large social events like sporting events, concerts etc. to resume.

One of the interesting regional differences is that September/October are two of the hottest months in Southern California while June/July are more mild. Don't know what that will mean for how it will spread/reappear in different regions, but it's an additional conundrum for those in charge of the response.

Is there really any evidence that warmer weather (despite claims by Drumpf) clamps down on the spread of coronavirus?

FL, SoCal and New Orleans are still pretty warm this time of year and it really hasn't stopped the spread.

Is there really any evidence that warmer weather (despite claims by Drumpf) clamps down on the spread of coronavirus?

FL, SoCal and New Orleans are still pretty warm this time of year and it really hasn't stopped the spread.

SoCal really isn't that warm right now. yesterday was in the 50's and today is low 60's. That's not warm enough to impact the spread if heat even is something that helps contain it.

^ It was warmer back in March/early April.

For instance, it hit a high of 77 on March 31, and was in the 70's for a week.

Earlier in March (the 3rd) hit 81 and was in the 70's for a while and that was when the virus was spreading.

That's like June temps for much of the Northern US, so Drumpf's talk about the warmer/warming weather in April doing away w/ the virus was BS as usual.

Earlier in March (the 3rd) hit 81 and was in the 70's for a while and that was when the virus was spreading.

That's like June temps for much of the Northern US, so Drumpf's talk about the warmer/warming weather in April doing away w/ the virus was BS as usual.

Well, I'm not into the politics of it, but I didn't think the 70's were the kind of hot that tamps down viruses. For example, Chicago's average temp in June is 80 degrees and July is nearly 85 degrees. That's more what I had thought people were looking at.

It's many infectious disease experts who have suggested that the corona virus might wane in warmer weather, just like the flu. So take your political b.s. to the Rant Board where it belongs. Your watching too much CNN.

It doesn't matter if they have time to prepare. If there is a season, they will just do it, prepared or not. All in the same boat.

It's many infectious disease experts who have suggested that the corona virus might wane in warmer weather, just like the flu. So take your political b.s. to the Rant Board where it belongs. Your watching too much CNN.
You mean like it's doing in Florida?

Reactions: Katatonic

:rolleyes:

Yeah, they suggested warmer weather, but I'll bet they weren't thinking of April weather (more likely June, if not July) (pay attention).

Temps in the mid-70s to 80s hasn't exactly spared New Orleans and things are getting worse in FL w/ South FL being the hardest hit.

And don't watch TV (or for that matter CNN).

So simply saying that Drumpf's claim about warmer weather (he clearly stated April) is BS (which is 100% true) is enough to rock your boat? lol

Last edited:
Well, I'm not into the politics of it, but I didn't think the 70's were the kind of hot that tamps down viruses. For example, Chicago's average temp in June is 80 degrees and July is nearly 85 degrees. That's more what I had thought people were looking at.

Yes, I know, but again, the context is w/ regard to Drumpf's claim of by April (when it gets a little warmer).

Feb. 10
“Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”

New Hampshire rally

SoCal has definitely been warmer than what many parts of the US normally are during April (even May in places), and New Orleans even more so.

Which is why Gundy looking to start preparations for the football season on May 1 was simply ridiculous (he gave himself a way out, by saying things can be delayed by a couple of weeks if that's what the experts say).

Last edited:
^ Some now want to make the simple statement of a fact as being political.

Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump at the White House.

It's mid-April and the virus hasn't been going away.

Rhetoric like that is dangerous and gives coaches like Gundy cover to push for early reinstatement of football activities.

Countries w/ a tropical climate like Vietnam are undergoing harsh measures in attempts to mitigate the spread.

It's only political if one doesn't like what the statement of fact portends.

The governors of FL, GA and TX have done a poor job leading mitigating efforts in their state, but the governor of Ohio has led an exemplary effort.

The mayor of NYC, de Blasio has done one of the worst jobs, mirroring and pushing for many of the same things at the early onstage that fly in direct opposition to mitigation efforts.

Fauci has had to back-track (on his words) when he simply stated that the country would be in better shape if it had instituted mitigation efforts earlier.

Was the simple statement of fact political, or was it the brunt of attacks from the right that forced Fauci to back-track political?

Last edited:
^ Some now want to make the simple statement of a fact as being political.

Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump at the White House.

It's mid-April and the virus hasn't been going away.

Rhetoric like that is dangerous and gives coaches like Gundy cover to push for early reinstatement of football activities.

Countries w/ a tropical climate like Vietnam are undergoing harsh measures in attempts to mitigate the spread.

It's only political if one doesn't like what the statement of fact portends.

The governors of FL, GA and TX have done a poor job leading mitigating efforts in their state, but the governor of Ohio has led an exemplary effort.

The mayor of NYC, de Blasio has done one of the worst jobs, mirroring and pushing for many of the same things at the early onstage that fly in direct opposition to mitigation efforts.

Fauci has had to back-track (on his words) when he simply stated that the country would be in better shape if it had instituted mitigation efforts earlier.

Was the simple statement of fact political, or was it the brunt of attacks from the right that forced Fauci to back-track political?

What’s wrong with you? Take it to the Rant board. This has nothing to do with Wildcat football.

It might or might not. This is a "novel" virus and they don't know all there is to know about it yet. If it does wane during summer, all the better.

The question is how does "contained" look. As long as it's around at all, we have a problem. The more than 500,000 cases currently reported started as a few cases. At my age it probably will be a while before I'm going out into big crowds. I won't be fully confident until they have a vaccine or some sort of treatment for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT