ADVERTISEMENT

Finite number of tunes

Noah121

Mar 9, 2010
I was listening to my favorite radio station from Lincoln (KBBK) this morning, and every Friday during high school football season, they have a different local HS marching band performance.

Imagine my surprise when I hear the tune of "Go U Northwestern." But it was Lincoln Lutheran HS!

It must be fairly common for the melodies of high school fight songs to imitate college fight songs. After all, my high school (Lincoln Southeast) has a fight song that sounds much like "Rise Northwestern!"

My sister’s middle school in GA was Northwestern Middle School, mascot is Wildcats

Reactions: DaCat
My sister’s middle school in GA was Northwestern Middle School, mascot is Wildcats
At the beginning of the Netflix show "The Ranch" they show a bunch of high school footbal helmets being lifted into the air. The emblem is our "N". I thought they were our helmets but there are added stripes.

Quite common. My high school's was "On Wisconsin." That school is now a Mariano's. Let that be a lesson to all.

Yeah, when I was in my grade school band our director came up with a fight song for us. I was in fifth grade, so didn't know one college fight song from another. I went home and told my Dad we had a new song and started it out on my clarinet. Dad, of course, immediately recognized the strains of "On Wisconsin." Needless to say, our director was a Wisconsin grad. For our school, it was, "On East Prairie."

Reactions: Noah121
And my high school, North Park Academy used the same fight song as ... North Park College, at the time. (now North Park University.)

Bottom line: we need MOAR fight songs.

Reactions: Noah121
My mom went to NP Academy. My older brother played 4 years of football at then North Park College. My other brother and I went to NP graduate school (I.e. seminary). I don’t recall that the NP fight song was NU’s, where I spent my undergrad years. But I do associate the NU fight song with “Go Catholic Central, break right through that line”, which they as the Grand Rapids, Michigan football powerhouse frequently did to my public HS (Union) and the other 5 public HSs in town. NU classmate Dave Czarnecki, was on football scholarship from Catholic Central and became NU’s starting DE In mid 1960s. At the time, Tommy Doles’ GR Christian did not field a varsity football team. But Union HS won enough championships ( swimming, baseball, track & field, cross country, golf, with some other good finishes) to claim the All Sports trophy my senior year. Girls varsity sports did not yet exist but some were club sports (e.g. field hockey).

Postscript: Fullback Bill Swingle came from Grand Haven MI at that same time and had a good career at NU. We had our own dual QBs - Tommy Meyers to pass and another Buckeye whose name escapes me to run. Meyers most notable season of course was 1962, when for one Camelot week, undefeated NU (including an 18-14, win at OSU, after trailing 14-0 in the first quarter on 2 kick returns by Paul Warfiled) was ranked #1 in the national poll,

I was going through some old papers earlier this week and came across a note I received from my son’s high school football coach. He had just returned to Alaska after visiting family in the Midwest where he had attended the infamous 2000 54-51 NU v Michigan game where he heard the Wildcat Roar on the intercom system. In the note he asked me if I could get him an audio from Northwestern so he could have it broadcast at the high school games here. (The high school team’s mascot was also a feline - the Lynx, Alaska’s only indigenous “Wildcat.”)

I believe the high school has continued to use it.

Last edited:
How’s that done, Uber?

At the top right hand corner of the Wildcat Report purple banner should be your screen name, face icon, message envelope icon, and alert ! icon. Click on the message envelope icon. Feel free to reply once you've opened it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT