ADVERTISEMENT

First game takeaways

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
Basically, I suspect most of us fans would take an 11-point victory. I think we pretty much saw what we expected. Great to start with a win after the first-half deficit against a team that changed the whole staff.

1. Thorson looks real sharp. And he has weapons. Great job by McCall letting him spread the ball around.

2. Offensive line is a wreck. Maybe it will get better. I hope for Jackson's sake it does.

3. I don't know what the coaches do with the injury situation at CB. It's desperate. GREAT job holding Nevada to only three points in the second half given those injuries.

4. Placekicking is a big problem. But it actually can benefit us with a more aggressive Fitz and experienced Thorson.

5. No pass rush. Just gonna hope that they can stop the run (didn't for much of this game) and put the D in more advantageous third and longs where Gaziano can step up.

Basically, I suspect most of us fans would take an 11-point victory. I think we pretty much saw what we expected. Great to start with a win after the first-half deficit against a team that changed the whole staff.

1. Thorson looks real sharp. And he has weapons. Great job by McCall letting him spread the ball around.

2. Offensive line is a wreck. Maybe it will get better. I hope for Jackson's sake it does.

3. I don't know what the coaches do with the injury situation at CB. It's desperate. GREAT job holding Nevada to only three points in the second half given those injuries.

4. Placekicking is a big problem. But it actually can benefit us with a more aggressive Fitz and experienced Thorson.

5. No pass rush. Just gonna hope that they can stop the run (didn't for much of this game) and put the D in more advantageous third and longs where Gaziano can step up.

I'm much less worried about the offensive line, which I think can be patched together, than I am about whether we'll have any functioning cornerbacks by Week 3. A little early to decide that placekicking is a big problem.

The sky is not falling. The OL looked better in the second half with a bunch of guys in new positions. The DL stiffened up inside, though still have to find a way to generate some pressure (though the front was VERY vanilla today).

We'll be fine.
I liked the way the OL held up in pass pro in the second half. And the DL certainly stiffened in rush D when the they needed to. Huge plays from our studs, Gaz and Lancaster.

Reactions: DopeTonic
I'm much less worried about the offensive line, which I think can be patched together, than I am about whether we'll have any functioning cornerbacks by Week 3. A little early to decide that placekicking is a big problem.
Given that Fitz turned down field goals on at least three occasions, I suspect he's not entirely confident in the true freshman's abilities.

Reactions: Fitz51
The cornerback situation is, at the moment, catastrophic. Having no pass rush is mitigated a bit if you have a great secondary. But, man, if the McShepard and/or Bullock injuries are serious, I dunno how we win too many games.
Also agree on kicking. True freshman in his first game. We actually have no idea if he'll be good.

Given that Fitz turned down field goals on at least three occasions, I suspect he's not entirely confident in the true freshman's abilities.

The early miss certainly didn't help things, but I viewed more that as a continuation of the more aggressive decision making we saw start in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Reactions: Dugan15
1. Thorson - awesome performance. NU will go as far as he can take them/us. Missed a couple connections w Jalen Brown, but they were close. Stay tuned.

2. OL - Doubtful anyone has a clue how good JJTBC is. If he gets 5, he usually gets 4 of it by himself. At least twice the confusion on the OL left a DL free to nail JJTBC. And both the OL and JJTBC are handicapped by McCall's well-known preferences. If the pass blocking can get consistent, though, the team might go far.

3. CB - looks like an opportunity for Warren Long. He's been hit by the world and he's still hitting back - possible nickname, "Timex" -

4. PK - if ur gonna miss a gimme, now was the time to miss it - cause we somehow won! We got no clue how good or bad the PK is yet.

5. Pass Rush - Doc needs stronger DL. Doc's schemes would work a lot better. Doc needs a few blitzes that surprise opponents.

6 McCall - watching the game today, you'd have to ask yourself, "Does this guy know how to use the players he has?" He rarely surprises anyone with a call. He runs JJTBC into trouble way too often. OTOH, he trained Thorson, and he looks like a star. But Mc's play calling is too often predictable and thus sucks donkeys.

7. 1 - 0.

1. Thorson - awesome performance. NU will go as far as he can take them/us. Missed a couple connections w Jalen Brown, but they were close. Stay tuned.

2. OL - Doubtful anyone has a clue how good JJTBC is. If he gets 5, he usually gets 4 of it by himself. At least twice the confusion on the OL left a DL free to nail JJTBC. And both the OL and JJTBC are handicapped by McCall's well-known preferences. If the pass blocking can get consistent, though, the team might go far.

3. CB - looks like an opportunity for Warren Long. He's been hit by the world and he's still hitting back - possible nickname, "Timex" -

4. PK - if ur gonna miss a gimme, now was the time to miss it - cause we somehow won! We got no clue how good or bad the PK is yet.

5. Pass Rush - Doc needs stronger DL. Doc's schemes would work a lot better. Doc needs a few blitzes that surprise opponents.

6 McCall - watching the game today, you'd have to ask yourself, "Does this guy know how to use the players he has?" He rarely surprises anyone with a call. He runs JJTBC into trouble way too often. OTOH, he trained Thorson, and he looks like a star. But Mc's play calling is too often predictable and thus sucks donkeys.

7. 1 - 0.

There is zero chance Long plays CB.

And we're bitching about play calls for an OC that just put up 500+ yards and had more than a few well-timed calls (Skowronek on the wheel, handful of screens against blitzes, etc.). Let's back off the confirmation bias, folks. Not every run is going for 10+ or pass for a TD.

It's early, really early. But if we don't develop a pass rush, we will struggle. The guy could have taken a leak back there on most plays. And he missed some open guys

There is zero chance Long plays CB.

And we're bitching about play calls for an OC that just put up 500+ yards and had more than a few well-timed calls (Skowronek on the wheel, handful of screens against blitzes, etc.). Let's back off the confirmation bias, folks. Not every run is going for 10+ or pass for a TD.
I thought McCall's play calling was pretty good in the second half. The pass protection was better than I expected, but the run blocking--OY! To average 3.1 YPC against Nevada with our strong RB corps speaks volumes. A lot of the positive yards were purely on RB effort. JJTBC was his exceptional self. Larkin looked promising. The WRs generally looked good.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Or maybe he had confidence that his team could score from the 1 and go ahead rather than settling for a tie. You don't think the freshman kicker could have made an 18-yard field goal?

I don't think we should overreact at this point. Not a bad first game overall. The OL was better than I expected and the DL played much better in the 2nd half. Our Safety trio was very good today and we'll be fine at CB. I expect both Bullock and McShepard to be back soon and I suspect Campbell and Mayo will do the same. This was a good win against a Nevada team that was hard to gameplan for and was better than expected.

To average 3.1 YPC against Nevada with our strong RB corps speaks volumes. A lot of the positive yards were purely on RB effort.

They were loading the box in the second. It looked like they had 10 defenders within 5 yards of the LOS most of the 4th.

Regarding the CBs: Did you see that Moe Almasri was at CB in the fourth quarter with the game still in the balance at 24-20? I had to look up No. 37 on the roster and was shocked when I saw his name. This was after Watkins, McShepard and Bullock were all unavailable. And they survived!

Good: CT. His accuracy downfield was outstanding. I'll give him credit for throwing the jump ball to Skow when he was in single coverage. And it sure looked like the interception was tipped at the line. CT looked like a dangerous play maker today.

Bad: Pass rush. The secondary played very well to withstand the lack of pressure.

Ugly: penalties and other self-inflicted wounds include the Skow fumble and the missed chip shot.

Or maybe he had confidence that his team could score from the 1 and go ahead rather than settling for a tie. You don't think the freshman kicker could have made an 18-yard field goal?
Based on the game seems like it would have been a 50/50 shot.

I don't think we should overreact at this point. Not a bad first game overall. The OL was better than I expected and the DL played much better in the 2nd half. Our Safety trio was very good today and we'll be fine at CB. I expect both Bullock and McShepard to be back soon and I suspect Campbell and Mayo will do the same. This was a good win against a Nevada team that was hard to gameplan for and was better than expected.
Meh. This is a typical Fitz team, some good some bad but overall middle of the pack in the Big 10. NU played worse than every Big 10 team I watched this weekend (didn't see PU or Nebby). No pass rush and a weak OL says another 6-6 season could be on tap.

Fitz is a middle of the pack B10 coach.

He will not get us to a B10 championship.

He's not a strong or smart enough coach to do that.

Shame too...with all the money he's getting paid.

Nice guy

Good values

Not but not a championship caliber coach

12 years at the helm and no B10 title

Reactions: NJCat
Meh. This is a typical Fitz team, some good some bad but overall middle of the pack in the Big 10. NU played worse than every Big 10 team I watched this weekend (didn't see PU or Nebby). No pass rush and a weak OL says another 6-6 season could be on tap.

I think you are wrong. This team has the potential to be the best team that Fitz has ever had. Reserve your judgement for the next couple of weeks. I think you'll be surprised.

Reactions: SciCat
Well I will just say this . A win is a win . There are problems....but there always is. The 2 things I saw was the o-line has trouble holding blocks...the quick hitting running backs seemed to have a better chance. secondly I called 80 percent of our offensive . We need to open it up. For the teams sake and jjtbc

You seriously believed we played worse than Illinois? I'll have what you're having....

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
You seriously believed we played worse than Illinois? I'll have what you're having....
Good point. I didn't watch them either. I count them as one of the 6 NU wins, along with BGSU, MSU, PU, and Minny. Very unlikely NU beats PSU, Wisconsin or MD from what I saw today and in their games.

Fitz is a middle of the pack B10 coach.

He will not get us to a B10 championship.

He's not a strong or smart enough coach to do that.

Shame too...with all the money he's getting paid.

Nice guy

Good values

Not but not a championship caliber coach

12 years at the helm and no B10 title
just what is your football experience?

Underwhelmed today: OL was absent on the run though better in pp in the second half; Pass rush was laughable, and I can't recall a blitz, at all; energy level middle of the road. safeties played well, but were overmatched (with their cornerbacks) when the QB had hours to find a receiver. This performance better be a wake-up call, especially the "shot in the foot" processes of penalties (GI hitting the sliding QB was unavoidable...he had already started to hit the running QB when the slide took off), fumbles, and high throws, missing the open target on at least 3 occasions. Duke will be a game for evaluation sake. And I certainly hope the "badness" is out of the system. Would have liked to se JJ break one in which he didn't have to fight through 3 or 4 defenders.

Good point. I didn't watch them either. I count them as one of the 6 NU wins, along with BGSU, MSU, PU, and Minny. Very unlikely NU beats PSU, Wisconsin or MD from what I saw today and in their games.

You may recall that you gained your new screename by overreacting to one game. Hmm, care to wager that we beat at least one of PSU, Wisky or MD?

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
A little discouraging as I expected us to come out firing after last seasons start.

The good news is Clayton looked sharp fir the most part. Had the ball sail on him some, but he gives us a chance to put up points. Still think he might have has 600 yards if play calling wasn't so predictable in e first half.

The OL still has a lot of work to do. Believe it or not they were better in pass pro than run blocking. JJTBC made most of his yards but himself,

Gaz was the only DE I saw do anything out there. Maybe I didn't notice someone that played well. Big Ern may need to burn his shirt.

LB play not good today. Expected a better game from Paddy. Fox looked ok. Nate did a few things, but we need more.

Safety play was pretty good. CB is ravaged and we'll need some guys to return fast or we'll be giving up some big plays. McShep was hurting and probably shouldn't have been out there, but no one else was left. We are in for a long season If we don't get heathy bodies back.

Skowronek and Wilson stepped up . We will be find at WR.

It was better than the first few last year, but still need to be mich better if w expect more than middle of the pack.

A little discouraging as I expected us to come out firing after last seasons start.

The good news is Clayton looked sharp fir the most part. Had the ball sail on him some, but he gives us a chance to put up points. Still think he might have has 600 yards if play calling wasn't so predictable in e first half.

The OL still has a lot of work to do. Believe it or not they were better in pass pro than run blocking. JJTBC made most of his yards but himself,

Gaz was the only DE I saw do anything out there. Maybe I didn't notice someone that played well. Big Ern may need to burn his shirt.

LB play not good today. Expected a better game from Paddy. Fox looked ok. Nate did a few things, but we need more.

Safety play was pretty good. CB is ravaged and we'll need some guys to return fast or we'll be giving up some big plays. McShep was hurting and probably shouldn't have been out there, but no one else was left. We are in for a long season If we don't get heathy bodies back.

Skowronek and Wilson stepped up . We will be find at WR.

It was better than the first few last year, but still need to be mich better if w expect more than middle of the pack.

Good observations, but I thought Ern was actually the game. Perhaps I was seeing things with so many freshman playing...

Lol, go troll somewhere else. The adults are attempting to have a discussion.
You go somewhere else

I'm allowed to make my points known

Fact is:

OL again not ready. How many years we've been saying that?

McC play calling questionable. Heard that one too.

Energy level low out of the gate?

Attitude reflect leadership.

I did not say Fitz was a bad coach or a bad person. He's a good person and a decent coach.

Just don't expect an outstanding, championship level product on the field. Because we've seen these issues for years and Fitz doesn't improve them.

You go somewhere else

Fact is:

I did not say Fitz was a bad coach or a bad person. He's a good person and a decent coach.

Just don't expect an outstanding, championship level product on the field. Because we've seen these issues for years and Fitz doesn't improve them.

Loved McCall's playcalling. Thorson throws a great deep ball and spread the ball around to 8+ receivers. That doesn't even include Brown, who I think will be a huge part of the offense by the second half of the season. OL was very solid in pass protection, but out of sync in run blocking up the middle.

Thought the defense was outstanding in the second half. Some breakdowns by our secondary in the first half, but that's a strong unit that will be fine when we get a few guys back. Great to get a double-digit win while still having a lot of fixable things to work on.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
You go somewhere else

Fact is:

Beast bro, I am not going to argue your points, except the Fitz /Walker/ Barney narrative was debated all summer when nothing was going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT