ADVERTISEMENT

First half thread for the Big Ten title game

Game plan and scheme are different things

NU clearly planned a pass-first attack. Mick doesn’t have the scheme or the athletes to get guys in space, and hasn’t really since 20xx
Yeah but I don't get why we planned a pass-first attack against a team that has defended the run much worse than it's defended the pass.

It's like our coaches thought we could just flip a switch and CT could put up 300+ yards in the air against this Ohio State team.

I honestly think our coaches tried to use Purdue's strategy against Ohio State without realizing that Maryland's or Minnesota's would have been better for our personnel.

A dual threat QB at least adds another dimension to what is a pretty limited offense. CT can run occasionally but is mostly limited.

Haskins is not a DT QB, but can scramble enough to extend plays.

Was Siemian a DT QB?

No.

But he could scramble well enough to extend plays.

I think he's working with the worst WR group in his tenure. There is NEVER anyone open and it takes them forever to even get into their cuts. He has people in his face before our WRs even make their cuts. I think Clayton has made some dumb decisions, but he just has no help out there. Whoever recruits and develops our WRs needs to go.

But that's been the case for how many years now?

Not necessarily. NU tends to over think our guys are capable fo playing in the moment better than the opposition.
never stop your own momentum in a drive.
It wasn't just an issue of momentum. It was an issue of stopping the clock to try to get the ball back for another attempt at a score in the half. It obviously didn't work out.

Heck, if you look at time-of-possession, if we'd have been running on every first down, it might be 14-7 instead of 24-7 just because of all the clock being burned off.

That's how you beat a team like Ohio State, just keep the clock running and try to stay in the game as long as you can and hope you steal the game late.

If they beat you 28-7 that's better than just falling way behind and being forced to open the game up (as we actually did and it didn't work).

Lots more 3-and-outs with 1.5 minutes of possession will just turn this into a laugher.

Well, with that prevent defense, we shouldn't be letting guys get by us over the top. That was on the player, not the coach.
I tend to not blame the players. And Hankwitz’s scheme of three man rush has for years given the qb either too much time to find open man or open running lanes: Nebraska Hail Mary, OT loss to Michigan at Ryan Field few years back are prime but not only examples.

New game as we start the 2nd. Hope we get the breaks this time unlike the fumble that wasn’t. Have to be proud of the D holding the Buckeyes to a field goal on the ensuing drive.

Reactions: zeek55
Typical fitz to the halftime reporter, it's everybody else but Thorson... I guess in reality it's everybody else including Thorson

Both defenses are playing well. Unfortunately Haskins is making the best of his limited opportunities.

If we can score early in the second half and increase our time of possession to keep our defense fresh the game remains winnable.

Someone must have been listening.

By the way do we have a 2 nd half thread?

Bowser’s run set it all up!
Something to think about.

Kidding not kidding

Give Bowser the ball; short/quick passes and Thorson extending plays w/ his legs.

Where was this in the 1st half?

Adjustments don't always have to wait until after the half.

New game as we start the 2nd. Hope we get the breaks this time unlike the fumble that wasn’t. Have to be proud of the D holding the Buckeyes to a field goal on the ensuing drive.

Yes! We got the break this time. Within 3 with the ensuing touchdown.

What a joke, Iowa should be representing the West. At least the Hawkeyes could make it a game and actually crushed the Bucknuts last season.

But you can't beat jNU (or Wisconsin, or Purdue), so Io_a must suck. Three years in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT