ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz, 56th and final guest

Not good to have weak OTs. O-Line may be key to division or not in 2017 ...

Not good to have weak OTs. O-Line may be key to division or not in 2017 ...

Is this one of those rare occurrences where the OT's are actually important? The last game I recall like that was against Iowa when Ifeadi went off for 4 sacks against their star OT. Or was it against Pitt in our last game when JJackson ran roughshod over the team that beat the Big Ten champs, the ACC champs, and the National Champs. Last year was one of those unusual years in that OT's had a major impact in two games. I should have played the Lotto with the final scores.

Is this one of those rare occurrences where the OT's are actually important? The last game I recall like that was against Iowa when Ifeadi went off for 4 sacks against their star OT. Or was it against Pitt in our last game when JJackson ran roughshod over the team that beat the Big Ten champs, the ACC champs, and the National Champs. Last year was one of those unusual years in that OT's had a major impact in two games. I should have played the Lotto with the final scores.

I also recall the debacle Blake Hance had against ISU when NU simply could not move the ball and scored all of 7 points at home against a mediocre FCS team......

In all fairness to the returning LT starter Blake Hance, Fitz pointed out that the OT play last year was "inconsistent" which may mean more like "needs improvement" and not be a euphemism for "sucked". Clearly Hance has the potential and the opportunity to improve and be the leader this year as a junior, and I believe he will, but no spots are guaranteed. Would love to see a young guy like Vogel or Meyler step up big time and grab one of the spots.

In all fairness to the returning LT starter Blake Hance, Fitz pointed out that the OT play last year was "inconsistent" which may mean more like "needs improvement" and not be a euphemism for "sucked". Clearly Hance has the potential and the opportunity to improve and be the leader this year as a junior, and I believe he will, but no spots are guaranteed. Would love to see a young guy like Vogel or Meyler step up big time and grab one of the spots.
I thought it was unusual for Fitz to call out a particular position group in public. He is usually more circumspect than that.

Reactions: PurpleWave
Here is the Fitz interview:

http://video.btn.com/pat-fitzgerald-previews-2017-northwestern-season

Points to the offensive tackles as the weak link on the offensive line......
Ongoing problem that he recognizes. However, nothing has been done to correct this visible deficiency. The problem of Fitz has been beaten into the ground and sometimes his loyalty isn't necessarily a virtue. Not as bad as Paterno's loyalty to his coaches but Fitz still needs to loosen up his loyalty to inadequate coaches. Certainly, if he ever wants to win a division. Admittedly, his blind loyalty does build consistency and a bowl win from time to time. But it truly prevents him from recruiting big nasties along the OL. This is his blind loyalty coming back to haunt him.
And having that handicap placed on the team, imo, simply isn't fair to the rest of the coaches and players. Maybe our OL coach went to coaching camps and is trying hard and is learning, I hope so.

Ongoing problem that he recognizes. However, nothing has been done to correct this visible deficiency. The problem of Fitz has been beaten into the ground and sometimes his loyalty isn't necessarily a virtue. Not as bad as Paterno's loyalty to his coaches but Fitz still needs to loosen up his loyalty to inadequate coaches. Certainly, if he ever wants to win a division. Admittedly, his blind loyalty does build consistency and a bowl win from time to time. But it truly prevents him from recruiting big nasties along the OL. This is his blind loyalty coming back to haunt him.
And having that handicap placed on the team, imo, simply isn't fair to the rest of the coaches and players. Maybe our OL coach went to coaching camps and is trying hard and is learning, I hope so.
Well a additional coach will be added next season, thus Fitz can bring in a respected and seasoned OL coach and Cushing can swift over to watching the superbacks or the kickers. Or he can possibly get a HC gig at the U. of Chicago.

I thought it was unusual for Fitz to call out a particular position group in public. He is usually more circumspect than that.

He's been publicly calling out the OL for a year or two now. Hope it finally lights a fire.

He's been publicly calling out the OL for a year or two now. Hope it finally lights a fire.
Considering their lack of top talent, i thought our OL has been fine. What can we expect of them?
Remember, we were in the top half in rushing offense and overall offense. Isnt that at least ok?
If we had big nasties upfront then id be pissed but i disagree with you and others about our ol. They havent been bad considering their lack of talent. In fact, id say they are hard workers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT