ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz is The Closer in recruiting

How much does Jango weigh? Carmody set the program up for Collins. What is Ben Johnson's number? We fair catch punts to much. The Earth is flat. $600 for the West lot Parking sucks. Welsh Ryan is too small. Our season depends on the O line. Fake on the lake. Barney is the King. Clayton is not going high in the draft! What will be our OOC attendance. 5,2, 3,1, 6, 2. Ugh!

Yes, I guess all the experts who say Fitz is overachieving are wrong. I will leave it at that.
Apples to oranges. I think Fitz has done well as well. He is overachieving based on the lack of talent. He gets the most out of what he has. That said, the team is simply mediocre. 7-6 last year was a good year but mediocre and certainly not a threat to a division crown. Not sure why you fail to see this. Fitz is consistently mediocre. Middle of a weak division where we flip with minny every other year for 3rd or 4th spot.

How much does Jango weigh? Carmody set the program up for Collins. What is Ben Johnson's number? We fair catch punts to much. The Earth is flat. $600 for the West lot Parking sucks. Welsh Ryan is too small. Our season depends on the O line. Fake on the lake. Barney is the King. Clayton is not going high in the draft! What will be our OOC attendance. 5,2, 3,1, 6, 2. Ugh!

You owe FloridAlum a drink!

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

Don't forget, Siemian should have started and OSU sucks.

And that's just Willycat warming up.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Just stop yourself. Talking numbers, Gary's record at NU was 35-45; Walker's was 37-46. Fitz is 77-62. NU all-time is 525-658. We've never had that kind of "sustained mediocrity." Even Ara was just 36-35 here.

Gary was handed a team coming off an 0-11 season. We got clobbered by 40 points regularly. To suggest that this is an apples to apples comparison is ridiculous. How many B1G titles does Fitz have?

Gary was handed a team coming off an 0-11 season. We got clobbered by 40 points regularly. To suggest that this is an apples to apples comparison is ridiculous. How many B1G titles does Fitz have?
I've stated all along that Gary created a football miracle here, but he left because he did not believe he could sustain it (and was 3-9 in his last season, worse than any of Fitz's records). Fitz has had sustained success here (even the 5-7 seasons weren't terrible). You have to judge Fitz in historical context, not by two wonderful aberrations.

Fitz was handed a team that didnt have a losing Bigten season in the 3 prior years before Fitz. And to Fitz credit, he has kept the progran just as consistent. Its pretty much a mediocre team now and not a pushover team. Barnett inherited a non talented team. Big difference.

I've stated all along that Gary created a football miracle here, but he left because he did not believe he could sustain it (and was 3-9 in his last season, worse than any of Fitz's records). Fitz has had sustained success here (even the 5-7 seasons weren't terrible). You have to judge Fitz in historical context, not by two wonderful aberrations.

That's misinformed. He left because Rick Taylor was a dickhead and refused to up his salary and that of his assistants, and instead brought KON in at a higher salary than Barnett. He got pissed at me when I reposted one of his emails basically trashing Barnett onto one of the Boards.

Reactions: julescat
Cmon ECat, he'd been flirting with other schools even during the Rose Bowl season. I was reporting on the program all during the era, and yes he did feel disrespected by Taylor, just like Ara three decades earlier, but that doesn't change the fact that Gary had doubts he could sustain it at NU (especially without better support). And he and his wife loved Colorado, so that job was a natural for him.

Look, I like and respect what Barnett did for us as much as anyone. But with the current rules regarding championships in the BIG, how many would Walker have had? Walker's championship would likely not have happened. And Fitz does have a year where he equaled Walker's BIG record at 6-2. How about Barnett? Neither year had we played OSU and we would have still had to have a championship game. So would he have had any? Also the Meyer would seem to be a bit better. Maybe Harbaugh as well.

Just saying Fitz has equaled the best of Walker. Yes Barnett did better for two glorious years but then the program could not sustain it. Fitz has sustained. And that is very difficult as well.

Look, I like and respect what Barnett did for us as much as anyone. But with the current rules regarding championships in the BIG, how many would Walker have had? Walker's championship would likely not have happened. And Fitz does have a year where he equaled Walker's BIG record at 6-2. How about Barnett? Neither year had we played OSU and we would have still had to have a championship game. So would he have had any? Also the Meyer would seem to be a bit better. Maybe Harbaugh as well.

Just saying Fitz has equaled the best of Walker. Yes Barnett did better for two glorious years but then the program could not sustain it. Fitz has sustained. And that is very difficult as well.
First, defecating on Northwestern's MOST RECENT B1G championship to somehow make PF's record look less mediocre is pathetic...you clearly put PF over the NU FB program....I reckon that even PF would rather you NOT 'defend' him, since he probably prefer to tell recruits that NU DID WIN a B1G crown in 2000...a REAL B1G crown...yes, shared...but still REAL.

A shared B1G crown should at least be equivalent to today's division titles, which PF is still trying to get his FIRST (after ELEVEN seasons)...RW got his shared B1G crown in his SECOND season.

Furthermore, the reason why a 6-2 record was enough in 2000 for NU to be co-B1G champ was simply that NO ONE had a better B1G record...the two teams that beat NU also lost AT LEAST two games to other teams. There was a lot of parity that year...EVERY B1G team won at least TWO B1G games, and SEVEN of 11 had NON-LOSING B1G records...Some might say that means ALL were bad....go ahead and say it...nevertheless, THREE B1G teams finished ranked among the top 23, including TWO ranked among the top 13...I'd say the league wasn't that bad, then.

Finally, PF took over a program that went 14-10 over the three prior B1G seasons, including winning 5 B1G games back-to-back in the immediately preceding two...it took PF TEN (10) seasons to finally exceed the 5-B1G-win mark...and only by ONE game...and it wasn't good enough even for a division title, b/c others did better.

Last edited:
First, defecating on Northwestern's MOST RECENT B1G championship to somehow make PF's record look less mediocre is pathetic...you clearly put PF over the NU FB program....I reckon that even PF would rather you NOT 'defend' him, since he probably prefer to tell recruits that NU DID WIN a B1G crown in 2000...a REAL B1G crown...yes, shared...but still REAL.

A shared B1G crown should at least be equivalent to today's division titles, which PF is still trying to get his FIRST (after ELEVEN seasons)...RW got his shared B1G crown in his SECOND season.

Furthermore, the reason why a 6-2 record was enough in 2000 for NU to be co-B1G champ was simply that NO ONE had a better B1G record...the two teams that beat NU also lost AT LEAST two games to other teams. There was a lot of parity that year...EVERY B1G team won at least TWO B1G games, and SEVEN of 11 had NON-LOSING B1G records...Some might say that means ALL were bad....go ahead and say it...nevertheless, THREE B1G teams finished ranked among the top 23, including TWO ranked among the top 13...I'd say the league wasn't that bad, then.

Finally, PF took over a program that went 14-10 over the three prior B1G seasons, including winning 5 B1G games back-to-back in the immediately preceding two...it took PF TEN (10) seasons to finally exceed the 5-B1G-win mark...and only by ONE game...and it wasn't good enough even for a division title, b/c others did better.

The capital letters are back! 3,2, 5, 1, 4, 3, 5

Reactions: NJCat

I like Fitz better than Walker. As people know, I'm not exactly a Walker fan. Hell, it's not about liking. I like Fitz as guy more than Barnett and Walker was a great guy, maybe the greatest. But, to suggest what Fitz has accomplished is remotely close to what Barnett did for us for the program and on the field is ludicrous. Again, look at the post Rose Bowl dip that Alvarez had at Wisconsin. We followed the same path. Those post-Rose Bowl classes would have kicked in and then we would have sustained. You act like Barnett was a one(two) hit wonder. He won his division multiple times at CU. And if you wanna argue that we wouldn't have beat dOSU in 1995 - by all l means, have your view. But, regardless, don't tell me he wouldn't have at least won the West in both 1995 and 1996.

First, defecating on Northwestern's MOST RECENT B1G championship to somehow make PF's record look less mediocre is pathetic...

Yeah so you would rather just defecate on PF again... and again... and AGAIN. :confused:

Wow.
So you put fitz over the program. Please dont discredit our championships. Most would rather have a championship over 12 years of par. Even if we miss the cut alot. Finishing in 3rd place in a division gets you a ribbon in Meet The Parents, please dont make that acceptable here.
Felis is right, we are mediocre. Thats not a bad thing. I hoped for the day for a stable program and its here.

While you use the idea that it was a championship (however weak) to defecate on Fitz's accomplishments? We all relished that we got the rings that year. But being honest, it was a weak championship. We got the lowest draw of bowl games and got blown out ending the season unranked. All I am saying is that Fitz has at least equaled the accomplishments of Walker by having a team go 6-2 in the BIG just like Walker, winning bowl games and ending the season ranked unlike Walker regardless of whether there is an actual championship next to the season. And not even sure that it would have won the division. Depends on which division because it was a three way tie meaning at least one of the teams would not have not have gotten to championship game.

And as far as what Fitz took over, no QB and cupboard not exactly full and very trying circumstances. He was not ready but who would have been under those circumstances?

Wow.
So you put fitz over the program. Please dont discredit our championships. Most would rather have a championship over 12 years of par. Even if we miss the cut alot. Finishing in 3rd place in a division gets you a ribbon in Meet The Parents, please dont make that acceptable here.
Felis is right, we are mediocre. Thats not a bad thing. I hoped for the day for a stable program and its here.
Not putting Fitz over the program. Just saying that that championship under Walker was, if we are being honest, pretty lucky that it was a championship and would not be one 90+% of the time. Under current rules that Fitz has had to deal with for most of his career as a HC, it would not have been a championship... It might not even have gotten us a division championship depending on the breakdown of divisions. It was a great season to watch but there was a tremendous amount of luck involved. And represents one of the only times a BIG champion did not end the season ranked. It was great. I just draw the line on saying Fitz does not measure up because he has not won a championship (when that championship is one compared to) when he has met and exceeded every other measure when compared with Walk.

If you want to say he has not met the same levels as the 95 and 96 teams of Barnett, OK That was one of the all time great accomplishments in sports all time. But we did sort of fall off a cliff after those miraculous seasons winning all of 4 BIG games over the next three years. In fact, Fitz has only had two seasons where he has less than 3 BIG wins out of 11. Walker had 3 in 7 and Barnett had 3 as well.

Not putting Fitz over the program. Just saying that that championship under Walker was, if we are being honest, pretty lucky that it was a championship and would not be one 90+% of the time. Under current rules that Fitz has had to deal with for most of his career as a HC, it would not have been a championship...
First, get your facts straight. The B1G switched to divisions after PF had been the NU HC for five (5) seasons (just slightly less than half his tenure). If that was the problem he would have had already five B1G championships.

Furthermore, since the B1G moved to a divisions format, PF had not won any division title. Winning the B1G West should be far easier than ending tied for first in a competition against TEN other teams. Yet PF had not yet done it.

Third, I already answered your claim that the B1G was 'weak'. Three teams (of 11) among the AP top 23 says the B1G was fine. Furthermore, using Sagarin as a rough gauge of the strength of the other teams, in 2000 five of 11 B1G teams (almost half) ended ranked 27 or better. Three more ended ranked not worse than 63 (roughly the median of DIA). That is, 8 of 11 were in the top half (roughly) of what today is called FBS. No B1G team finished ranked worse than 82 (with roughly 120 teams in the division). You call it what you want. I call it a very DEEP conference top to bottom in which the worst team was still better than about 40 other teams in the division. No wonder no team managed to lose fewer than 2 conference games.

First, get your facts straight. The B1G switched to divisions after PF had been the NU HC for five (5) seasons (just slightly less than half his tenure). If that was the problem he would have had already five B1G championships.

Furthermore, since the B1G moved to a divisions format, PF had not won any division title. Winning the B1G West should be far easier than ending tied for first in a competition against TEN other teams. Yet PF had not yet done it.

Third, I already answered your claim that the B1G was 'weak'. Three teams (of 11) among the AP top 23 says the B1G was fine. Furthermore, using Sagarin as a rough gauge of the strength of the other teams, in 2000 five of 11 B1G teams (almost half) ended ranked 27 or better. Three more ended ranked not worse than 63 (roughly the median of DIA). That is, 8 of 11 were in the top half (roughly) of what today is called FBS. No B1G team finished ranked worse than 82 (with roughly 120 teams in the division). You call it what you want. I call it a very DEEP conference top to bottom in which the worst team was still better than about 40 other teams in the division. No wonder no team managed to lose fewer than 2 conference games.

Are we really going to keep taking the bait on this one, fellas?

Are we really going to keep taking the bait on this one, fellas?

Why not, it's Friday and Feli's line of argument really sucks, in his eagerness to defecate all over Fitz, so here goes...

You say blah blah blah... but conveniently (or ignorantly) overlooking the fact that things tend to go in cycles. Just ask Mark Dantonio. Why did you only go back THREE seasons preceding Fitz taking over as a ROOKIE coach, the YOUNGEST in the COUNTRY, after RW passed away SUDDENLY? because MAYBE after the 6-2 LIGHTNING-IN-A-BOTTLE season of 2000 (which I enjoyed IMMENSELY by the way), the team proceeded to go 2-6 and 1-7 in the conference, before Walker got back on track with 4-4, 5-3, 5-3 seasons. Oh yeah, and in those seasons, the OVERALL record was 6-7, 6-6, 7-5. We lost some real CLUNKERS too.

And while Fitz has not won a Big Ten championship YET, he has won TWO bowl games SO FAR. Unfortunately, Barnett went 0-2, and Walker went 0-3.

Walker went 1-7 in the conference TWICE, while Barnett went 0-8 TWICE, in his second season (excusable) and in his LAST season. I'm not crapping on him, just stating the facts, MA'AM. Fitz went 1-7 just ONCE in his 11 seasons.

In the B1G, Barnett had a losing record EVERY year except those two exceptional seasons, out of 7 total. Walker had 3 seasons above 0.500 out of 7. Fitzgerald so far has FIVE seasons above 0.500 out of 11.

Overall record-wise, Barnett was 35-45-1. Walker was 24-31. Fitzgerald is 77-62.

Fitz has the best Big 10 win percentage of the THREE, at 0.461.

Please stop defecating on Fitz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT